Kettlebells

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good starting weight to start kettlebells please?
Ive been doing insanity and im already looking ahead, but don't know where to start.

Please help!!!

Thanks

Replies

• katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Hi Alan!
    I LOOOOVVEE kettlebells. Its all preference what you think works best for you. I usually do two minute interval workouts with mine, so whatever you feel isn't too straining and you can work with is best! Good luck, happy kettlebell workouts too. I really like them.
  • Hi Alan,
    Please what do you mean by starting weight? The weight of the kettlebell?
    I started using kettlebells a couple weeks ago. Right now I'm using 10 lb for one exercise, 15 lb for some exercises and 20 lb for another, but I'm only doing 4 basic exercises right now. You are likely far stronger than I am.

If you mean personal body weight for starting weight, you weigh significantly less than I so don't let that hold you back from using kettlebells.

Good luck and have fun with them! (I am!)
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    depends on your size, strength and the type of exercises you are planning to do

Im a 240lb man and I use a range of kettlebells from 16kg- 48kg depending on the exercises utilized

Heavy kettlebell exercises: Swings, squats, deadlifts, floor press, overhead press, push press, cleans

Moderate: Snatches, overhead squats, windmills, towel swings, single leg iterations of squats and deadlifts

light: 2 handed overhead squat work, shoulder and hip mobility exercises

Id recommend purchasing a good kettlebell instructional video. Start with some of Steve Kotter's stuff. His encyclopedia of kettlebell lifting series is the most comprehensive you will find