Feeling Light Headed during workouts

Options
So I have lost 28 pounds in about 6 weeks of starting a low calorie diet and a workout routine. I try to do about 60 to 90 minutes of intense Calisthenics 5 to 6 days a week. I always drink water and make sure to have a high protein with whole grain crabs for my breakfast, I wait about 30 mins to an hour before working out. The other day I decided to try and shock my body and did 110 mins of Calisthenics. At that time I began to feel light headed and have been light headed occasionally since that day while doing exercises to squatting and then standing up after putting wood in the fireplace. Is this normal for a body to go through this after dropping weight? I know it is normal with workouts but since this is the first time I have experienced this I am wondering if others have experienced the same thing?

Replies

• michelle34152
    michelle34152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What's your blood pressure like? I have quite low BP and I have the same problem.

I drink two cups of broth with potassium every day to try to replace what's been cut out of my diet, and to try to boost my bp higher so I don't get as dizzy. It makes a HUGE difference for me to really up my sodium.
  • sweetcheekz82
    Options
    I've always had normal BP but I do need to start checking it again since I have had a decent amount of weight loss
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Define "low calorie"....how much are you eating?
  • DaRealMcKoy
    DaRealMcKoy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing HRM? Maybe your HR is getting too high.
  • sweetcheekz82
    Options
    My definition of a low calorie diet is 1200 to 1400 calories a day.
    I don't have a HR monitor. I was wondering if it could be my heart rate going to high? I'm also wondering if it's my body trying to adjust to some weight loss?
  • Tahitidreamz
    Options
    I read on here where a trainer recommended a small piece of candy. The sugar in it would help bring up your blood sugar. So I got a bag of Jelly Belly Jelly Beans, pop 2 before my workout and I feel fine.. But this isn't for everyone. It was just a response. Hope you get it worked out. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My first thought with the light-headedness is that maybe you're not getting enough fuel for your workouts. Have you adjusted cals at all since losing the 28lbs? You mentioned increasing exercise - did you increase cals to match? Do you eat back exercise cals?

Food is fuel - make sure you are getting enough to properly fuel your body. Hard to give much more specific advice without knowing your specific stats - age, height, weight, etc or without seeing your diary. :smile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things. Not eating enough, low blood sugar levels, low sodium levels, dehydration, a nutrient deficiency, etc.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things. Not eating enough, low blood sugar levels, low sodium levels, dehydration, a nutrient deficiency, etc.

Would check blood glucose first.
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I get like that if I don't eat enough. I normally workout before I eat because I'm not hungry in the morning and get nauseous if I eat too early. But the other day I pushed it a bit too hard and kept getting a little light headed until I ate and even for a little while after.
    I need to find a little something to have in the morning before I hit the gym.
  • sweetcheekz82
    Options
    Started to get light headed again, so I checked blood pressure and blood sugar levels, also heart rate and everything is normal. I guess I'll keep checking and maybe it's time to make a doctor's appointment.