I can't believe I actually RAN!!!!

Options
Was going for a brisk walk - like I often do (recently walked the Great North Run half marathon in 3h 21m :happy: ) and on the spur of the moment I decided to have a go at running some of it!! So hastily downloaded an interva timer app to my phone and set it to 1min work 1.5min reat, and ran(as best I could) for a minute and walked for 1.5 minutes. Nine rounds of that and a bit more walking to getme back home and here I am! I said I would NEVER run. But I did (well kind of :laugh: ).

One thing I learned though is, even my small chest needs a sports bra if I'm going to run again. Had to hold my hands to my chest most of the running parts :blushing: Any recommendations??

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I got nothing on the holding front.... :embarassed: lol (other than compression gear from UA or Nike Pro which I wear for compression shorts) but on the running the c25k would be a good thing to look into and keep up with your interval training it will take you a long way.... Great Job!!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Well done on running. I'm rather large on top and find Shock Absorber sports bras to be excellent. Sometimes you can pick them up at a decent price on Ebay otherwise I use lessbounce.com (they are in the UK).
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Was going for a brisk walk - like I often do (recently walked the Great North Run half marathon in 3h 21m :happy: ) and on the spur of the moment I decided to have a go at running some of it!! So hastily downloaded an interva timer app to my phone and set it to 1min work 1.5min reat, and ran(as best I could) for a minute and walked for 1.5 minutes. Nine rounds of that and a bit more walking to getme back home and here I am! I said I would NEVER run. But I did (well kind of :laugh: ).

One thing I learned though is, even my small chest needs a sports bra if I'm going to run again. Had to hold my hands to my chest most of the running parts :blushing: Any recommendations??

Yeah, I recommend wearing 2 bras, one regular bra and then a sports bra over it. I was once like you, thought I couldn't run anymore and complained to my hairdresser of all people, who made that suggestion, and it works so well.

Last year at the gym, I saw a lady on the ellyptical whose "girls" were really jiggling, and wanted to stop her and suggest 2 or maybe 3 bras for her, because she was probably a "g or h" cup. I can imagine how much it hurt her! I didn't say anything but I wish that I had because I never saw her back in there again.

Anyway, try the double bra and see how it works for you. Congratulations on taking your workout to the next level!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm no help on the support front (I wear a single cheapie sports bra for modesty only), but congrats on the running! Definitely check out the c25k program. It is very similar to what you did today with progressive intervals and the free app is awesome.
  • jamantha
    jamantha Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was thinking of looking into C25K, will def do that. I hope one bra will suffice for these little a-cuppers, but will look into the suggestions as well.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I wear danskin now high impact bras from Walmart. They seem to work really well for me and I am a B/C cup. Great job on the running!! C25K got me started on running too. It is a great program!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I thought I couldn't run too but one morning I just did it and ran the whole 5K's non stop. I kept in mind what I'd read on here from someone and that was not to push yourself to run too fast when you are just starting out. Well done!
  • JAL123
    JAL123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well done you rock, and yup sports bra is essential LOL know how you feel!
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have found that Champion sports bras work for me. I started running at about 200 lbs and was a D cup. Am down to a C cup. And I only wear one bra when I work out. They seem to be held in place pretty well by those.

And Great job on the running! It is more of a mind over matter thing once you really get going and try to run longer intervals. Keep up the good work!
  • GotMeSomeGoals
    Options
    Yeah, I recommend wearing 2 bras, one regular bra and then a sports bra over it. I was once like you, thought I couldn't run anymore and complained to my hairdresser of all people, who made that suggestion, and it works so well.

I do this too! Highly reccomend it!
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! I bounced between C25k and doing my own intervals. I still can't run a whole 5k but I love getting out there and pushing myself a little farther each time.
    I'm not help on the sports bra because I haven't found one that I truly love yet. I'm between C and D but still have a somewhat large band and they just don't fit right. I've been wearing Champion from Target. They work good enough for now.
    Again way to go on the running!!
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I used to wear two bras but I recently got fitted for and purchased an actual good sports bra at my local running store. I cannot even express how amazing it is to have a good sports bra that works and that doesn't require me to wear two.

The salesperson told me, a skeptic, that if you have the right bra in the right size there is zero reason to wear two. And, for me at least, she's right.

I have this one http://www.enell.com/enell-sport and it is amazing. Also, I'm not small chested in the least.
  • meltrigg
    Options
    Awesome...we'll done. I have only just started running too. I started by doing intervals like you have and gradually ran for longer amounts of time. I can now run for a full 30 minutes...I never thought I would be able to do this!
    One of my friends recently said " I don't run...if you see me running, you need to run as fast as you can, because there is definitely something after me!"
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

I have been known to wear 2 underwire bras, one of which is a sports bra. It really compresses everything in and helps it not wobble, and the underneath bra means it has nowhere to jolt to anyway. But if I wear either bra on its own it's not enough.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    High five on the running!!!! Like someone else said, keep going, but be careful not to overdo it at the beginning. I was the girl who did everything she could to get out of gym class growing up, and eventually did, because of a bad knee. Now, in my 40's, I'm playing "catch-up", so I know how you feel - kind of like a "whooda thunk?!" But keep it up!!

And I can't help about the bra...I wear 3 at the present time to run in. (I'm a DDD, so I'm needing a LOT of support!)
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    60s run and 90s walk is week 1 of c25k.

i think you should d/l that. its quite enjoyable.