Restaurant Ideas

Options
Okay, so I'm starving right now and I really really want something that's yummy, but I don't want to blow my entire week.

What restaurants do you go to and what do you get?

(I get that most people are going to suggest salads, but I think it would be fantastic if I could get some solid, non-leafy suggestions. I like meat.)

Thanks!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I really like Subway. Not so much a restaurant, however I still love it. As for restaurant food, I usually order something from the fish section!! usually salmon or pickerel (something along those lines) & get a garden salad with it !!! I don't eat salads as a main course because most restaurant salads are 1000 calories +
  • darcibean
    Options
    Applebees have a few selections that are pretty healthy, they list them right on there menu with the amount of calories.
  • membrey
    Options
    You might try Outback steak house's filet wedge salad without blue cheese and bacon it is around 350 calories I think.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Applebee's 7 oz sirloin, Baked Potato w/the butter on the side and the steamed veggies. :smile:
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It is really hard. But if you keep reminding yourself that you eat to live and not live to eat. When you make decisions it is mearly to curb you hunger. When I go to a resturant I usually try to split a dish. For instance, today I had 1/2 salad & 1/2 eggplant parm. My Mom had the other half. Or when the plate comes split it in half, Eat your half and have it packed to-go. I am NOT a salad girl either but I need the "fuel".

Oh!! other times I'll have a burger/ grilled chicken on a bed of lettuce(skip the bread& mayo) lil bit of mustard or ketchup, Mashed potatos instead of fries & veggie. Sorry for all the edits...

Good luck ~ I'll be looking for tips too!!
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    I just ate at Panera and my whole meal was 350 calories. I had the u pick 2 and had half a caesar salad without the crutons and a cup of black bean soup and a bag of baked chips. It was delicious.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should feel limited. Just plan ahead of time. If you know where you are going, check to see if they offer nutritional information online (most chain restaurants do) so that you can figure out what you want beforehand. Stay away from gravy, cream sauces, and fried or battered foods. Most restaurants have a light section on the menu. For instance, my husband loves Logan's Grill so when we go there I get the blackened salmon with a baked potato. Its delish! Just because its light doesn't mean it will be terrible. Always ask for your dressing on the side if you get a salad and dip your fork in it before you stab the veggies. You'll eat a lot less dressing but still get some flavor. If the portion size of the entree is huge ask for a to-go box to come with your meal. Then remove half of it from your plate before you start eating. Have it for lunch the next day! The biggest issues at restaurants is how the food is prepared and the portion sizes. I hope this helps! :)
  • cutiekay99
    Options
    My life is busy, so I'm always eating fast food ( which was part of the problem). I have found that most places have something that is a healthier option than what I have been eating the last several years. Some of my faves: KFC grilled white meat chicken with green beans as a side, McDonalds small fruit smooothie or yogurt parfait, Wendy's chili, and of course Subway. Applebees does have several items on their "Under 500 calories" menu. If you like Asian you could eat sushi, edamame, cucumber and crab salad. I feel your pain, I'm not much of a salad girl myself :-). If you just have to have something that you know is not healthy, try the kids meal portion with water or a diet drink!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Chillis has a really good carne asada steak. Its on the lighter side menu. I had it the other week with corn on the cobb and seasonal veggies. It was really good. :)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    P.S. My husband and I went out to eat tonight. We love Mexican so we went to Coyote Blues. We have been planning this all day so I was prepared. I kept the calories earlier in the day low and since Coyote Blues does not offer nutritional information, I looked it up before going (I knew I wanted fajitas). I limited my chips and salsa (that's the entire reason I love Mexican...I'm not skipping my salsa) to about 18 chips and ordered fajitas so I would have more control. I topped them with a little bit of refried beans, salsa, lettuce, and sour cream. I ended up staying within my calories. So look for items that give you more control, it helps. :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Boston Pizza also has a salad (i know i know salad again but still) that is 260 calories (and it's a large portion) it's a chicken chopped salad ... just sayin :)
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    Salad tastes a lot better chased down with a small glass of white wine.... learn to love your salad!
  • crimsonrambler
    crimsonrambler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all your suggestions! I went with Applebees! And, while I'm pretty sure I went over my calories, I've been pretty good all week and this meal was delicious.

I'm excited to see options for next time!

Edit: Just recorded my calories on here and I didn't! That's completely amazing!! An awesome meal and while it was more calories than I should do normally, it's perfect for a "once in a while" treat. SO excited about Applebees!!
  • svdbygrc
    Options
    Applebee's is awesome and when I ate there a couple weeks ago....I had a weight watchers meal and I asked for the calories cuz on the menu it gives points, not calories...then added a salad and they gave me the calories in a house salad..without dressing of course...I added blue cheese dressing, but dipped my fork in the dressing lightly before stabbing my salad...then I had diet coke...my meal was under 600 calories and I so enjoyed it...I'm so glad you enjoyed your meal.....
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    In addition to many of the above ideas, I also like olive garden-the venetian apricot chicken off the light menu is delish, the minestrone and the mussels are also low calorie. At red lobster, the lobster is so low calorie that you can even afford to have a little butter with it plus veggies. At a local steakhouse, I order the top sirloin/baked potato/mixed veggies plus a glass of tomato juice-(I cut the steak and potato in half for leftovers). I've also ordered an appetizer or senior/child portion for my entree. Get creative! You can still lose weight without having only salad :tongue: