Calories burned washing dishes - for hours

Options
Yesterday I was helping my son's boy scout troop clean out their storage trailer because they had a moisture problem that caused a lot of items to become moldy. I was on dish duty, and I literally washed and dried cookware, utensils, etc for 3 hours. I didn't think I was really burning a lot of calories because I was more or less standing and just walking back and forth between the work table, but my kids think I should have logged all that time.

I couldn't really find much on washing dishes for that long, probably because there aren't a lot of calories burned doing that kind of thing unless you're using industrial sized items, but now that my kids mentioned it, I'm just curious to know if anyone knows how many calories are burned washing dishes for that long. I'm currently 230 lbs, if that helps. I'm not going to go back and enter the calories burned, if any, but I thought I'd put this out there just for fun. Thanks!

Replies

• BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/webfit/burned/calories_burned_Wash_dishes.html

This says about 98 an hour at your weight. I don't know if that's above bmr or including it.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was helping my son's boy scout troop clean out their storage trailer because they had a moisture problem that caused a lot of items to become moldy. I was on dish duty, and I literally washed and dried cookware, utensils, etc for 3 hours. I didn't think I was really burning a lot of calories because I was more or less standing and just walking back and forth between the work table, but my kids think I should have logged all that time.

I couldn't really find much on washing dishes for that long, probably because there aren't a lot of calories burned doing that kind of thing unless you're using industrial sized items, but now that my kids mentioned it, I'm just curious to know if anyone knows how many calories are burned washing dishes for that long. I'm currently 230 lbs, if that helps. I'm not going to go back and enter the calories burned, if any, but I thought I'd put this out there just for fun. Thanks!

Most people don't count any kind of cleaning (unless it is extreme), as "exercise," and I don't think that you chore was that extreme, so just take what ever calories your burned as a bonus to help you in your weight loss journey, not a justification to eat more.

If you feel that you have an active life, independent of your regular exercise routine, modify your profile to "light active," and MFP will give you more calories to eat. That is my opinion, and that is what I do.

Good luck!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Maybe 60 an hour above your tdee
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am just stunned at how people search for "useless" calorie burns. I am not trying to be negative but unless you made a conscience effort to sweat your *kitten* off-it doesn't count.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's not enough above the burn rate to justify worrying about.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    are you serious? Washing dishes? You do realize that you burn calories just laying in bed all day, but do you count that? I certainly hope not. MAKE AN EFFORT or this will never work for you!

just my 2 cents.....

Let's tone it down a notch, shall we? You obviously didn't read the post. She didn't enter the calories and doesn't plan to, but is just curious due to her kids' prodding. Might want to right-size your outrage a little bit.
  • lupinibean
    Options
    Kinda harsh. OP has lost 57 pounds, I'd say she must have "made an effort" along the way. You have no idea what she does or does not do on a daily basis. Sounds to me like she was asking for input on an isolated incident. Lighten up.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    are you serious? Washing dishes? You do realize that you burn calories just laying in bed all day, but do you count that? I certainly hope not. MAKE AN EFFORT or this will never work for you!

just my 2 cents.....

Jeez woman, didn't realise you knew her WHOLE life.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I think you could probably find it on calorielab.com.

I wouldn't ever log chores, cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, washing the car or dog or children or cleaning the bathroom, changing the sheets, etc..

It's life. It's what you do. You got to be overweight while doing them.

Log planned sustained aerobic or strength training. It's easy to get into the "buy food with everyday activity" mindset if you're hungry - but don't. This way leads to obsession.
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am just stunned at how people search for "useless" calorie burns. I am not trying to be negative but unless you made a conscience effort to sweat your *kitten* off-it doesn't count.

Literally sweating is no measure of burning calories. You didn't read her whole post so shove it. She said she's just curious, not wanting to add those calories in, and besides, they happened yesterday.
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the snarkiness people use on here sometimes. If you don't put cleaning down, then don't. I think people should be able to count whatever calories they want to. Some people add they eat lettuce and some small calorie foods. I think you can log everything as a way to track what you do. You miss would know better than any of us if you really put for enough effort to count towards weight lost.
  • twenty20tunnelvision
    Options

just my 2 cents.....

Are YOU serious?? Can you maybe consider reading the entire post before making your snide comments? :huh:

Just MY two cents....
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Most people don't count any kind of cleaning (unless it is extreme), as "exercise," and I don't think that you chore was that extreme, so just take what ever calories your burned as a bonus to help you in your weight loss journey, not a justification to eat more.

If you feel that you have an active life, independent of your regular exercise routine, modify your profile to "light active," and MFP will give you more calories to eat. That is my opinion, and that is what I do.

Good luck!

You may not count yours but myself and many of my friends count housework and other household chores as exercise. I have listed my life as sedentary and then I count all my activities including sweeping and mopping and other chores and housework and yardwork. It works out well for me as I have lost 30lbs so far.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    If it was a one time thing, I'd probably just ignore it or just add a round 300 calories to my day.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    *shrug* i wouldnt log it, but if I felt extra hungry I wouldn't worry about eating some extra calories.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'd just enter it as cleaning which is on the MFP list.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think some that are on here have never been in a situation where they can not do the things that most people do everyday. When they start trying to do it it becomes an exercise. As they are able to do it easier it becomes a daily chore. Those of us that use heavy cleaning, heavy gardening and lawn mowing as exercise it's done in place of the stretching, bending and walking that some of the rest of you do. I mow because of two replaced knees and living in an area that is very hard to walk in. I can push a lawn mower for an hour or so and get my steps. We have to work with what we have.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I guess I should set the record straight because it seems some people may not have read my original post entirely.

I was asking just for fun. That was the last sentence of my original post.

I DO make an effort, every day of every week of every month, and no, I didn't count the dishwashing as calories burned because a) I don't think they would have been significant, and b) it's something I do every day so I would consider it part of my TDEE, even if I did wash dishes for three hours.

The original question was put out there just out of curiosity, not because I was looking for a way to eat more food.

I'm sorry if anyone felt as if I was looking for an easy way out, and I'm sorry that this had to turn into some negative back and forth for some of the other members of the site. It was just a simple question, and now I know I shouldn't ask them.
  • lupinibean
    Options
    I guess I should set the record straight because it seems some people may not have read my original post entirely.

I was asking just for fun. That was the last sentence of my original post.

I DO make an effort, every day of every week of every month, and no, I didn't count the dishwashing as calories burned because a) I don't think they would have been significant, and b) it's something I do every day so I would consider it part of my TDEE, even if I did wash dishes for three hours.

The original question was put out there just out of curiosity, not because I was looking for a way to eat more food.

I'm sorry if anyone felt as if I was looking for an easy way out, and I'm sorry that this had to turn into some negative back and forth for some of the other members of the site. It was just a simple question, and now I know I shouldn't ask them.

You have nothing to apologize for; the snotty poster does but I doubt you will hear it. Congratulations on the 57-pound loss, that is awesome.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

No, gosh, you have absolutely nothing to apologize for.