Intermittent Fasting (IF)

Options
Can anyone shed light on this program, I have spent the last few days on different websites/e-books and really wanted to hear from folks who have had success on this program. I am excited about the idea of not having my life revolve around my next meal, snack.

I have read about the 16/8 approach and the full fast for 24 hrs (5:2 approach). Any thoughts on what your calorie intake should be on the days you should eat.

I think I am leaning to try the 16/8 plan, as it will be easier for me to eat lunch/dinner with family and skip breakfast (11am-7pm)

Thanks for any advice/tips in advance.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There as many ways to do this as there are people doing it. Some work out a weekly caloric goal, and IF days just happen to have very few of those calories. Others will break their fast with a huge meal to make up for lost time.

Any and all are perfectly valid ways of going at it. Lots of room to accommodate personal preference/situation.

IME, 16/8 is a particularly easy plan to ease into.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You do eat on 5:2 days.

I do it hybrid. 1400 calories a day between 1 and 9, 5 days a week and on Monday and Wednesday I have just a 500 calorie dinner.
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was eating between 12 and 8pm and have just changed to eating between 3 and 8pm and having Saturdays off.
    It is really working for me and I am enjoying just not having to worry about food all the time.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 for a month now as well and I really enjoy being able to obsess less about food. I eat 3-500 cal dinner on fast days and 15-1700 on feed days. Give it a try, its very flexible. If its not for you, try something else!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I also do 5:2. I've been doing it for over two months. I don't find it particularly challenging and I find that it has been working for me and change things around as needed.

There are one or two groups for 5:2 on here if you want to check them out.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Can anyone shed light on this program, I have spent the last few days on different websites/e-books and really wanted to hear from folks who have had success on this program. I am excited about the idea of not having my life revolve around my next meal, snack.

I have read about the 16/8 approach and the full fast for 24 hrs (5:2 approach). Any thoughts on what your calorie intake should be on the days you should eat.

I think I am leaning to try the 16/8 plan, as it will be easier for me to eat lunch/dinner with family and skip breakfast (11am-7pm)

Thanks for any advice/tips in advance.

I did 16/8 for a long time. I just used the calorie number I was using to produce the deficit I wanted for the weight loss I wanted. I don't believe I lost more weight because of it, it was just easier to stay within my calorie limits. I have been thinking of doing 5:2, for the same reason. I would simply add up my 7 day calories and divide by 5. IF is NOT magic. For some people it may be easier to follow than more conventional diets.
  • meltrigg
    Options
    I started the 5:2 plan about three months ago. I have had success with this and have lost 10kg...weight that previously seemed impossible to shift. I love my fast days and have about 300 cals at breakfast and only 200 calories at dinner. I have around 1300 calories on the other days. I feel fantastic and don't find the fast days too difficult (most of the time).
    The health benefits of this program is what appealed to me.