Weight going up once I added exercise

Options
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong...
Previously on MFP I have been able to lose weight with no added exercise and it has come off no problem. I wanted to shift 2 kilos I had recently put on. So 5 weeks ago I started doing 40 mins cardio 5 - 6 times a week, I have since gained 2 kilos. The first 3 weeks my weight stayed the same, the last 2 weeks is when I have gained. I was not initially eating back my exercise calories as I didn't know to but for the last week or so have started eating back some or most of them. I have been gradually increasing my workout intensity every week. My diet is much the same as it was when I was losing before and I come under my calorie count most days, if I go over (which isn't often) it's usually by only 50 or so calories and it had never been a problem before. My calorie allowance is 1310. I am quite accurate with my food measuring and don't think I am underestimating what I am eating. I am burning between 350 and 400 Calories with the cardio. I have checked on a few different calorie trackers to make sure my count was accurate and they are much the same so I don't think I am over estimating my calories burned. I realise things don't happen overnight but would have thought after 5 weeks I should have seen some small change, but was not expecting to gain. I have taken my measurements and they also haven't changed.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do and how long did it take to start moving again?

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It could be several things. The most likely cause IMO is water retention which is common when you start a new exercise routine and can stick around for days or even weeks, depending on the person. Also if you're not drinking enough water, this can exacerbate the problem. It could also be that you are in fact over estimating your calorie burn (I know you said you've checked this but it is still a very real possibility as those numbers are only estimates at best), or you're eating too much. How are you measuring your food, by scale weight or cups? This can make a huge difference in accuracy.

Perhaps you could make your diary public to give us a better idea of what you're eating?
  • keler1
    keler1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All of the above for measuring food, depending on what it is. A lot of the things I eat are an "each" thing, so the calories are easy (Cruskets for example) I am comfortable that I am not overestimating my food. Also prior to adding the cardio I was eating the same and losing and I am quite particular with making sure I am counting right. I also initially wasn't eating back my calories so was only eating my normal allowance, so I cant see how it would be a massive issue if I over estimated my calories burned a bit?
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you are eating or how much you have to lose but I do know that when you are working out you need to pay less attention to the scale and more attention to your measurements. Muscle is denser than fat so you could be "gaining" weight but losing inches. I have a great deal of weight to lose but I had the same thing happen when I started working out. Clothes are getting looser a lot faster than the scale is going down. Good Luck!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    All of the above for measuring food, depending on what it is. A lot of the things I eat are an "each" thing, so the calories are easy (Cruskets for example) I am comfortable that I am not overestimating my food. Also prior to adding the cardio I was eating the same and losing and I am quite particular with making sure I am counting right. I also initially wasn't eating back my calories so was only eating my normal allowance, so I cant see how it would be a massive issue if I over estimated my calories burned a bit?

If you don't think its your food or exercise then I would say it's water retention. This is very normal but can stick around for a few weeks, which can be discouraging. Be sure to keep your water intake up and give it another few weeks for your body to get used to everything.
  • keler1
    Options
    I will up my water intake and see what happens. Yes its very frustrating! :-)
  • keler1
    Options
    Thanks you. I dont have a lot to lose but sadly my measurements haven't changed at all.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight without exercising and by exercising I mean doing cardio AND strength training, you will not lose as many inches and you will not be toned. You may be a normal weight, but you can still be fat inside because when you don't do strength training and get adequate protein your body burns lean body mass along with fat.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Muscle is denser than fat so you could be "gaining" weight but losing inches.

Not true. In order for women to gain muscle weight, we have to work VERY HARD and eat at a surplus. We don't just put on muscle by basic exercise, especially while eating at a deficit.
    It IS true that beginning a new exercise program may result in an initial small gain from water retention.
  • keler1
    Options
    elyelyse, how long does the water retention stick around for or is everyone different? Will increasing my water intake help or is it just the way it is with new program? (I wasn't massively unfit to start with so it wasn't a huge body shock but I just wasn't doing a lot of focused exercise before.)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    elyelyse, how long does the water retention stick around for or is everyone different? Will increasing my water intake help or is it just the way it is with new program? (I wasn't massively unfit to start with so it wasn't a huge body shock but I just wasn't doing a lot of focused exercise before.)

I honestly don't know the answer to that question, though my guess would be just a few days.
    Something else that can cause temporary gains in your time of the month. It's not unusual for women to put on 5 pounds during your period.

If the gaining continues, then you may need to reasses what your doing of course, but hopefully it's just a temporary gain.