How many calories lost

Options
I started on myfitnesspal on Sunday and have lost 4 pounds! I do TRX suspension training every Tuesday and Thursday. When I went to add it into my excercises, Inoticed that it does not have it listed as a catagory. Does anyone have any kind of guesstimate as to how many calories are lost in a 30-45 minute workout?

Replies

• angandq
    angandq Posts: 6
    Options
    I say 330
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    It really depends on your weight and the intensity of your workout, for a more accurate answer I would invest in a heart rate monitor (HRM) if you can afford one :flowerforyou:
  • leighclayton
    leighclayton Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure this out as well. A heart rate monitor is an interesting idea. Thanks.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I've been told to count it as Vigorous Calisthenics which are 8 METs. An easy way to convert METs to calories is to multiply the MET level by the body weight in kilograms to get calories per hour. So, if you weigh 100 kilograms, that's 800 calories per hour. 30 minutes would bee 400 calories, and 45 minutes would be 600 calories. If you weigh yourself in pounds just divide the weight in pounds by 2.2046 to get kilograms.
  • Lucky1011
    Lucky1011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    during my 45 minute trx sessions i burn 560-600 calories. I use a watch that monitors heart rate and calories burned.
  • snarkychaser
    Options
    Thank you so much! . I have been putting down as yoga.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your weight and the intensity of your workout, for a more accurate answer I would invest in a heart rate monitor (HRM) if you can afford one :flowerforyou:

It's a shame a HRM is nowhere near accurate for TRX.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Why?
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I log it as circuit and add the cal burn, hrm for me in TRX 30 min is 390-410. It would be different for all, weight,etc..

If possible, HRM is a good investment and motivator:-)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Why?

Because the math that turns heart rate into calories burned is wrong. TRX isn't steady cardio.
  • mmrudman
    mmrudman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar watch/monitor for this exact reason.. wondering what I burn during PIlates, TRX etc. Today I took a 55 minute TRX class and burned 589 calories... wearing it tomorrow to a Pilates class to see what I burn in there. It does matter on your size, weight and gender (you set up your watch prior to recording your work out, the chest strap is very comfortable).
  • kelyb5
    Options
    I found this website that might be of some help when estimating TRX calories burned. Monitoring your heart rate is still more accurate but this is a start.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned-trx-suspension-training
  • Gogobecky
    Gogobecky Posts: 18
    Options
    I found this website that might be of some help when estimating TRX calories burned. Monitoring your heart rate is still more accurate but this is a start.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned-trx-suspension-training

Thanks for this! I tried the self calculation, but this is much easier! Just started doing TRX yesterday...boy, I'm feeling it! ;)
  • abradeen2013
    abradeen2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I count TRX the same as a circuit training workout. I work out twice a week with a personal trainer and TRX days just kill me. So hard! There are many variables that could make it harder or easier, but I feel like I work just as hard on TRX days (if not harder) than on days where we are inside doing more traditional circuit training.