Healthy Pizza

Options
Anyone have healthy pizza recipes? What do you put on your salad?

Replies

• __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Use sandwhich thins for a base a light tomato sauce, light mozzarella and a slice of chorizo on each then a sprinkling of cheese on top

about 400 cals for 4 slices less if you substitute ham for chorizo
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has a great cauliflower crust pizza. It is really good. Make the crust and top with healthy toppings.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    lol. healthy pizza. if you want real pizza then adjust your day to fit it in. if not some good ways to make a "pizza like" food are:

flat outs, whole wheat tortillas, cauliflower/zucchini base (actually tastes really good and pretty much tastes like pizza but you need a fork and knife to eat it), english muffins.
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    pizza can be healthy too...I use the Toufayan pita bread (white ones, 150 cals each) spray both sides with Pam (I use olive oil in the mister) bake for a couple of minutes each side to get crunchy, top with a homemade pesto (or just olive oil and basil leaves} toss some chopped garlic on and thin sliced roma tomatoes, top with some good shaved parmesan (1/4 cup) pizza under 400 for the entire thing. (the pita bread makes perfect, for me, individual serving sizes) , other options are toss some shrimp and capers on that bad boy...bbq sauce instead of the pesto and some shredded chicken with black olives and jalapenos? diced chicken on pesto and blue cheese or feta? chicken and artichoke hearts with minced red onions, did one the other day with deli slice diced turkey and pineapple with a bbq sauce for the base, options are endless... I live alone, so the pita bread makes the perfect serving size for me, and I make an extra one for lunch for the next day. .. I am not a overly huge fan of tomato based sauced for my pie, odd I know, rather have the fresh crunchy pizza bread with fresh tomatoes and limited cheese to be able to taste all the toppings? :smokin:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Pizza isn't unhealthy. It's the over consumption of it that's the issue. Being a high calorie food and tasting really good, most people have a hard time sticking to just one slice. It's high in fat and satisfies the pallet so that's why many view it as an "unhealthy" food.
    And substitute pizzas....................................well aren't great substitutes. Make sure to just have it accounted for in your intake and if one is willing to counter it with some extra exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What is unhealthy about pizza?
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Make or buy dough and get it thin cause that is best, light on the cheese, add veggies and I will actually throw a lightly dressed salad on top to add to the flavor and textures!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I've made all 3 major types of "substitute" crust: cauliflower, cheese, and meatza. They were all tasty in different ways. The cauliflower was the most work, the meatza was the easiest.
    Other than the crust, the big caloric punch comes from the cheese, so if you keep that in check you'll be ok.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

...really?

store-bought stuff from Dominos or Pizza Hut is dripping with grease, loaded with cheese and sugary sauces. Maybe OP wants to eat more than 1 slice of pizza for dinner. People overeat it because its so calorie-dense that you need numerous slices to feel satisfied.
  • liveinthemoment24
    Options
    You should check out Lean Secrets on YouTube. The girls name is Brenda and looks like she hasn't eaten a slice of pizza in her life so you know you can trust what she says. She's a nutritionist and has some awesome super healthy recipes including a pizza recipe she just posted. The crust is made from almond flour and coconut oil and a few other things. Sounds weird but extremely healthy and if she says it's good I believe her!! Good luck. :)
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I made a really good homemade pizza, with mozzarella cheese, Ragu pizza sauce and lots of fresh veggies. The last time I used mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, asparagus, yellow bell pepper, red onions and broccoli. Just 268 calories per slice.

You don't have to load the pizza up with high calorie meats for it to be good. If you like ground beef, pepperoni and sausage on it however, just make sure it fits in your macros for the day and have only a piece or two not the whole pizza!!

ETA - I used frozen pizza dough.
  • spookiefox
    Options
    Make or buy dough and get it thin cause that is best, light on the cheese, add veggies and I will actually throw a lightly dressed salad on top to add to the flavor and textures!

On top? Ish! That's what I hate about Taco Pizzas--lettuce doesn't appeal to me on pizza.
  • spookiefox
    Options

...really?

store-bought stuff from Dominos or Pizza Hut is dripping with grease, loaded with cheese and sugary sauces. Maybe OP wants to eat more than 1 slice of pizza for dinner. People overeat it because its so calorie-dense that you need numerous slices to feel satisfied.

Cheese isn't bad for you. And if you're calling something unhealthy because some people eat too much of it, then pretty much anything is unhealthy. Pizza is not unhealthy, and if you want some you fit it into your food plan.

The OP asked for a healthy substitute for pizza. Pizza isn't unhealthy and no "substitute" is necessary. You can substitute all the good stuff in the world for stuff that "isn't bad" or is "pretty good" if you like, but cancer taught me that I need to stop doing that and start eating the things I REALLY like.
  • spookiefox
    Options
    Pizza isn't unhealthy. It's the over consumption of it that's the issue. Being a high calorie food and tasting really good, most people have a hard time sticking to just one slice. It's high in fat and satisfies the pallet so that's why many view it as an "unhealthy" food.
    And substitute pizzas....................................well aren't great substitutes. Make sure to just have it accounted for in your intake and if one is willing to counter it with some extra exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

THIS^^^

A food's healthiness or unhealthiness is not determined by whether or not it tastes good.
  • spookiefox
    Options
    I made a really good homemade pizza, with mozzarella cheese, Ragu pizza sauce and lots of fresh veggies. The last time I used mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, asparagus, yellow bell pepper, red onions and broccoli. Just 268 calories per slice.

You don't have to load the pizza up with high calorie meats for it to be good. If you like ground beef, pepperoni and sausage on it however, just make sure it fits in your macros for the day and have only a piece or two not the whole pizza!!

ETA - I used frozen pizza dough.

IOW, real pizza.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

...really?

Cheese isn't bad for you. And if you're calling something unhealthy because some people eat too much of it, then pretty much anything is unhealthy. Pizza is not unhealthy, and if you want some you fit it into your food plan.

The OP asked for a healthy substitute for pizza. Pizza isn't unhealthy and no "substitute" is necessary. You can substitute all the good stuff in the world for stuff that "isn't bad" or is "pretty good" if you like, but cancer taught me that I need to stop doing that and start eating the things I REALLY like.

er no, I'm saying that a standard meal worth of greasy pepperoni pizza would put you way over your calories because its so calorie-dense. Don't put words in my mouth plz. Maybe OP doesn't want to just eat one slice of Dominoes Pizza when they could eat a whole home-made one for the same cals. Hence asking for recipes. But all you can do is get hung up on the term 'healthy'. I figure if you have to work to fit something into your allowance, its not that 'healthy'

OP: maybe look into making pizzas like a chicken tandoori with spring onions, salad/veggies & tzatziki-ish yoghurt. I also like sauteeing some prawns in garlic butter, goes well with spinach and cherry tomatoes.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    This recipe seems to be pretty healthy for pizza, try it out!

http://onceamonthmeals.com/vegan-fresh-veggie-pizza/
  • spookiefox
    Options

...really?

er no, I'm saying that a standard meal worth of greasy pepperoni pizza would put you way over your calories because its so calorie-dense. Don't put words in my mouth plz. Maybe OP doesn't want to just eat one slice of Dominoes Pizza when they could eat a whole home-made one for the same cals. Hence asking for recipes. But all you can do is get hung up on the term 'healthy'. I figure if you have to work to fit something into your allowance, its not that 'healthy'

OP: maybe look into making pizzas like a chicken tandoori with spring onions, salad/veggies & tzatziki-ish yoghurt. I also like sauteeing some prawns in garlic butter, goes well with spinach and cherry tomatoes.

That's ridiculous. It's not work to budget calories any more than it's work to budget your money. If real pizza matters to you, you budget for it, just like because my motorcycle matters to me I budget for it's upkeep. I don't get a moped because it would be cheaper to maintain and it's kinda like a motorcycle.

And what is a "standard meal worth?"
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    pizza can be healthy too...I use the Toufayan pita bread (white ones, 150 cals each) spray both sides with Pam (I use olive oil in the mister) bake for a couple of minutes each side to get crunchy, top with a homemade pesto (or just olive oil and basil leaves} toss some chopped garlic on and thin sliced roma tomatoes, top with some good shaved parmesan (1/4 cup) pizza under 400 for the entire thing. (the pita bread makes perfect, for me, individual serving sizes) , other options are toss some shrimp and capers on that bad boy...bbq sauce instead of the pesto and some shredded chicken with black olives and jalapenos? diced chicken on pesto and blue cheese or feta? chicken and artichoke hearts with minced red onions, did one the other day with deli slice diced turkey and pineapple with a bbq sauce for the base, options are endless... I live alone, so the pita bread makes the perfect serving size for me, and I make an extra one for lunch for the next day. .. I am not a overly huge fan of tomato based sauced for my pie, odd I know, rather have the fresh crunchy pizza bread with fresh tomatoes and limited cheese to be able to taste all the toppings? :smokin:
    ^^ Yep!!! Exactly what I do!