Eating at a restaurant alone

vienna_h
vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
How weird is it to eat at a restaurant alone?

I used to live in the city, and would often go out for Pho for lunch. I'm now living in a smaller town, and they don't have Pho as fast food, just at real sit-down restaurants. I'm having a really serious Pho craving. How weird is it to be the only single person in a restaurant full of families and couples? Is that weird?

I do it all the time when I'm travelling, but this isn't the kind of town a tourist would ever come to lol, and I live here now.

How bad would your craving for a certain food have to get before you went alone to a sit-down restaurant?

Replies

• bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Take a book. :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I eat alone in restaurants all the time. I take my a Kindle and an perfectly content to have some time to myself.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    I just take a book or tablet and go! Doesn't make me feel weird at all, if I'm in the mood for something I can't make or get at home, I'm willing to go out by myself!

Unless it's something like Cheesecake Factory or a steakhouse, that I'd feel a little weird about haha
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    How weird is it to eat at a restaurant alone?

I used to live in the city, and would often go out for Pho for lunch. I'm now living in a smaller town, and they don't have Pho as fast food, just at real sit-down restaurants. I'm having a really serious Pho craving. How weird is it to be the only single person in a restaurant full of families and couples? Is that weird?

I do it all the time when I'm travelling, but this isn't the kind of town a tourist would ever come to lol, and I live here now.

How bad would your craving for a certain food have to get before you went alone to a sit-down restaurant?

I do it all the time.
  • apinknightmare
    apinknightmare Posts: 11 Member
    I used to feel so self-conscious eating out alone, so I made myself do it more. Like the other users replied, I usually bring a book or a magazine. I used to think everyone was staring at/judging me, and then I realized that I'm just not that interesting!
  • The place where serves Pho is usually ethnic restaurant. It's not a hangout place like a bar. So people go there to eat and get out. No one would look around and care who is eating alone. Nothing wrong with eating Pho alone. Damn, I think I'm going to have some tomorrow.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Yep - take a book. I tend to always have my Barnes&Noble Nook with me.

But eating out is one of my downfalls, and I've found that if I don't have a book with me I'm less likely to eat out so I'm carrying my Nook with me less and less.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    For humans, eating is often a social experience. It has been throughout our evolution. Eating alone while surrounded by strangers is an awkward, unsettling experience, there is nothing wrong with feeling uncomfortable about it. That said, if you really want a specific food and have to go to restaurant to get it, being something that will distract you from the other customers. A book, a tablet, even your phone can be enough.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    I always feel like an *kitten* when I eat alone. And a bigger *kitten* because I'm on my phone the whole time.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    I don't really get uncomfortable eating alone... although I'm not particularly uncomfortable doing a lot of things alone. I guess it is different for everyone.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I go out to eat by myself all the time and I really enjoy my alone time. I go to the movies by myself too fairly often. And yes I've been to both cheesecake factory and outback during dinner hours asking for a table for 1 :P
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    I went out to a Chinese buffet tonight on my own......I had a hankering for a big plate of Chinese food and I had no one to go with so I just took my book and off I went.....I don't worry about it at all.....:)
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    I take myself out to eat all the time.

I am terrific company.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    I take myself out to eat all the time.

I am terrific company.

I was thinking the same thing.... I'm better company than pretty much anyone, so why wouldn't I want to eat with me? :glasses:
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    I bring a book or my iPad and have myself a Me Party! (See link below to my favorite Muppets song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpE8CdH6fdE

(Sorry, i wish I knew how to link to this better!)
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    I do it all the time, sometimes it's nice to get out alone
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Bring a notepad and take photos of your food. Make everyone think you are a food blogger. :flowerforyou:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    I always feel so liberated, independent and strong when I go to the theatre, restaurant by myself. Do not be afraid, I think most people do not do this out of fear of judgement. Just look like you had the choice to go alone :)
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    I do it all the time when my kids are visiting their mom. It's either go alone, or don't go. It is the only time I can go places they don't like. I refuse to let being eternally single keep me stuck in my house and prevent me from dining out, seeing movies, etc. Generally, I just sit at the bar in a restaurant and watch TV while I eat.
  • poponastick302
    poponastick302 Posts: 77 Member
    It's fine. Bring a book or something if you think that'll make it less awkward. Get that Pho!