Under-eating...?

Options
Hey, everyone! I'm new here. I'm a highschool student, and I've tried losing weight in the past, but I just really have sucked at it. I'll diet for a couple of days, and then totally binge the next. I'm insecure about this, but since I'm dieting I guess it's alright to mention.
I'm 5'11'', and currently 302 pounds (I started around 307 on Monday) and I want to get down to 160 or smaller. My current goal is just getting under 300, because in the past year I gained about 20 pounds by eating really unhealthy fast food -I was in theatre, and we had no time to eat, so I just got brought stuff.

When I started on Monday, I believe I'd average to about 1700-1800 calories, which really isn't too little, I know that. Yesterday I ate around 1000 calories, and lost 2.6 pounds in one day. I'd like to keep my calorie intake around 1100/1200, and I'm just wondering, is that too much?

Also, I want to tone my stomach. Any specific excersizes you guys would recommend?

Thanks loads! (: -Emma

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Hey Emma.

1100 sounds a bit low. What is your BMR? (click "apps" at the top, then "BMR")
    It's not a good idea to eat below your BMR consistently without a doctor's approval.
    Also, I want to tone my stomach. Any specific excersizes you guys would recommend?

All exercises burn calories & fat, but no exercise targets fat in a specific area. The body doesn't work that way (for an explanation, google "spot reduction myth"). To lose fat - from anywhere - do any vigorous exercise often. For example, fast walking, dancing, cycling, sports, etc.
  • becausewhytfnot
    Options
    Okay ^-^
    My suggested BMR is 2246, but I think that's kind of ridiculous. I'll definitely keep your reply in mind though (:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You can probably go with 25% under your TDEE. I know it's hard to believe, but eating a good amount while losing weight is actually good for you. If you eat too little, you're going to lower your metabolism, be hungry, and it will be much harder to stick to it... plus with a huge deficit you're more likely to burn muscle too.

It's not a race, you want to do it the slower, healthier way.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Just remember, the bigger your deficit from your TDEE, the harder it may be to maintain it. Also, realize that your body weight fluctuates by a couple of pounds due to water retention and the like. You did not actually lose 2.6lbs of fat from one day of eating 1100 calories. Personally, I would try eating the 1700 you were originally shooting for and see how that works. That is more than 500 calories. After a month, if it isn't helping or if you want to increase your deficit, then you can lower your intake more.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would keep it up around 1500-1800 calories. One of the reasons you probably don't stick with it in the past is because your calories are too low. Eat healthy and you won't feel deprived after several days. Your body will need time to adjust to the lower calories.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate around 1000 calories, and lost 2.6 pounds in one day. I'd like to keep my calorie intake around 1100/1200, and I'm just wondering, is that too much?

Welcome to MFP!

Let's do a little math. One pound of fat is 3500 calories, so 2.6 pounds is 9100 calories. There's no way you ran a 9100 calorie deficit from one day to the next. The only conclusion is that most of that 2.6 lb. difference is water weight, and possibly fewer waste solids in your digestive tract because you didn't eat as much food. It's not long-term loss; it's short-term fluctuation.

It's dangerous to draw the conclusion that because you ate 1000 calories and "lost" 2.6 lbs., you should eat 1100-1200. That's way too low, and even if it wasn't unhealthy, it would be very hard to stick to that number in the long term. I'm currently aiming for 1370 net and that's very hard.

Stick with a more reasonable goal, and if you carefully measure and weigh what you eat, and record it faithfully, you'll achieve success over the long run, and it will be much easier to transition to maintenance without a major dietary change.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's dangerous to draw the conclusion that because you ate 1000 calories and "lost" 2.6 lbs., you should eat 1100-1200. That's way too low, and even if it wasn't unhealthy, it would be very hard to stick to that number in the long term. I'm currently aiming for 1370 net and that's very hard.

An adult male shouldn't be sticking to 1370 either so both of you are undereating.

The BMR calculators get a bit skewed when you get to either end of the spectrum. Being obese throws the numbers off because it's assuming a normal ratio of lean body mass to fat and at your weight your not in that criteria. I'd start off about 1800 calories and see how it goes. In the beginning you'll probably lose just as much as that as you will starving yourself at 1100 and you'll feel much better in the long run.
  • kasey98226
    Options
    As with a lot of people, I actually dont lose weight with a too low calorie def. I get stuck. Metabolism goes into starvation, and stops trying to burn the calories and fat. Also I don't have any energy to excersize. When I eat my minimum (sometimes a little over when I am overly active) I lose so much quicker. Now, these are HEALTHY calories. My breakfast is a while 350 calories, but it's a very healthy fruit/spinach smoothie, with added protein. Great for before school, as you can One thing I also do is drink water. Not a crazy amount, but before I would normally be so busy I would forget, and as soon as I started drinking more water (about 5-8 glasses a day) I was losing more weight and so much more energized. Something to think about.
    About Toning, My Dr doesn't recommend any workouts with the "jack knife" motion for women. She says Squats, planks, and the sort are much better for women. You wont lose more weight in the specific area, but your muscles will be better tones, and as you go it will help out your other work outs having your core strengthened. (hense, more weightloss from excersize)
  • becausewhytfnot
    Options
    Well, I've been able to stick with it since I started (only a week, but oh well) without any mess ups. But I can see where you guys are coming from. I just wanted to make sure I'm not too drastic, and I'll consider adjusting. Thank you guys for your input.
  • OsakanBandit
    Options
    Hey there and welcome to the group. I'm 230 pounds now trying to get down to 200. I eat 1300 calories a day and always feel satisfied. The key is to workout too or excersize. I love the stationary bike because I can just sit there listening to my music and lose weight..if you are in this for the long term, do yourself a favor and stay off the scale except once or twice a Week. It will fluctuate a lot at first.but two pounds a week is a healthy amount to lose. I've lost 23 pounds since I started here, gained a few back. I will keep going.
    Welcome and if you want a friend on here feelfree to add me.
  • MyCatLookedAtMe
    Options
    I am late to the party (sorry) but basically, everyone has said everything.

I've been counting for about 3 weeks now and been pretty diligent. I went over by 200 the other day due to a restaurant misrepresenting themselves in a calorie count, but, I have found it to be pretty easy otherwise. Advice: Plan things out in advance so you have thing to look forward to and can indulge a bit. Like, if you know how many calories you are eating when you get home you can indulge on a candy bar now if you have enough left over. It helps me a lot.

I get about 1,240 cals a day, BUT, I am 5'7 and started at 200-205lbs with my activity setting on "Light Activity" with the intention of losing 2lbs a week. My BMR is about 1,678 a day.

I had a hard time sticking to other diets but find this one quite easy (in a sense) because as long as I stay around 1,240 I can eat whatever I want. And, it's a bit of a pain when I don't have a decent amount of time to plan, or I want to grab a quick snack and don't have the ability to measure my food (Like, when I am not home). The thing is, it won't work if you take the calorie count as GOD and are petrified about going a little over, or if you undereat. So, if you're not willing to trust the site with the BMR and such, feel free to ask a doctor. They can explain the numbers better to you. Just please don't restrict yourself too much. It most definite is counterproductive. I am a recovering anorexic, and I can tell you it's really not worth it. You think you binge on just diets, it's worse when you restrict that bad because your body feels like it just can't stop when you do finally eat.

Good luck!
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Make sure you account for everything! One of my biggest problems were "extra" calories. That was also the biggest (and really about only) change I made to my overall daily diet. I always, since I was really young, had a mindset of "what ____ doesn't know won't hurt me ". Until I actually got it into my head that I was really hurting myself, not ____, I was totally unable to lose much. Just by taking out those calories I deemed "secret" before, I've lost 75 lbs (over 100 from my actual highest!). So do whatever you have to do to be honest with yourself, regardless of what you show everyone else.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Food is fuel for your body. The more you move (being in theatre and high school, I bet you expend a lot of energy), the more calories you need to properly fuel your body. The appropriate calories is different for everyone due to genetics, height, weight, and how much we do/do not move,

The only thing required to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Even though MFP helps you set up your profile, it's all about us setting calorie goals and doing our best to meet them.

Have you set up your profile yet? Are you logging everything in, including exercise? The only way to figure out what works for you is through trail and error and paying attention to your eating and exercise trends.
  • a140
    a140 Posts: 7
    Options
    You should be able to eat a healthy and balanced diet. Look up 5:2 diet and watch BBC documentary "Eat, fast and live longer". If you like it, it may be worthwhile to try.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    As with a lot of people, I actually dont lose weight with a too low calorie def. I get stuck. Metabolism goes into starvation, and stops trying to burn the calories and fat. Also I don't have any energy to excersize. When I eat my minimum (sometimes a little over when I am overly active) I lose so much quicker. Now, these are HEALTHY calories. My breakfast is a while 350 calories, but it's a very healthy fruit/spinach smoothie, with added protein. Great for before school, as you can One thing I also do is drink water. Not a crazy amount, but before I would normally be so busy I would forget, and as soon as I started drinking more water (about 5-8 glasses a day) I was losing more weight and so much more energized. Something to think about.
    About Toning, My Dr doesn't recommend any workouts with the "jack knife" motion for women. She says Squats, planks, and the sort are much better for women. You wont lose more weight in the specific area, but your muscles will be better tones, and as you go it will help out your other work outs having your core strengthened. (hense, more weightloss from excersize)

Say what? Prone jackknives, inchworms, and deadlifts have done more for my core strength (and loss in measurements) in a month than a year of planks did. I don't understand this reasoning at all.

ETA: as far as muscle and skeletal structure go, women and men aren't that different. Unless they are pregnant, there really isn't any medical reason that I have ever heard of that requires women in general to exercise differently than a man.
  • sourgrape_
    Options
    I'd say stick with 1700 a day because as mentioned before the bmr calculator assumes a normal ratio of fat and lean body mass..
    and remember to always check the nutritional info before logging food the first time. most of the items in the database are actually wrong (too low)
  • becausewhytfnot
    Options
    I always check on the packages the amount of calories it is before I enter food, and then check to see if it's the right amount. The only way I let it stay in my food log is if the calorie amount was right or too high.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    1000 is absurdly low. Take your BMR, find your TDEE and add in your exercise. I don't ever recommend having more than a 500 calorie deficit a day- I assume that would leave you with AT LEAST 2000 calories to consume a day. If I eat below 1800 on days I don't work out, I lose (which in my case is bad). Calories are energy- you need the proper fuel is you plan on exercising and sustaining a healthy body.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone! I'm new here. I'm a highschool student, and I've tried losing weight in the past, but I just really have sucked at it. I'll diet for a couple of days, and then totally binge the next. I'm insecure about this, but since I'm dieting I guess it's alright to mention.
    I'm 5'11'', and currently 302 pounds (I started around 307 on Monday) and I want to get down to 160 or smaller. My current goal is just getting under 300, because in the past year I gained about 20 pounds by eating really unhealthy fast food -I was in theatre, and we had no time to eat, so I just got brought stuff.

When I started on Monday, I believe I'd average to about 1700-1800 calories, which really isn't too little, I know that. Yesterday I ate around 1000 calories, and lost 2.6 pounds in one day. I'd like to keep my calorie intake around 1100/1200, and I'm just wondering, is that too much?

Thanks loads! (: -Emma

Firstly don't get excited. the difference between 1000 calories and 1700 calories is 700 calories. which makes 1/5 of a pound. You lost the weight they took off your tdee (what I call maintenance, what it takes to run your ship for a day) together with 1/5 of a pound.

I don't think it's a good idea. I don't think it's worth it. You're setting yourself up to fail again. Don't do it!

If you have failed at low calorie diets in the past you will fail this time if you make it low calorie. If you've had a hard time dieting in the past I'd start out as gentle as I could get away with, not as harsh, because although when all fired up you can eat almost zero for the first few days, the huge binge you will have in about 3 more will leave you depressed, disappointed, feeling like a total fail and probably walking away from the whole deal.

If you don't want to go back to the bad place, don't take yourself there.

Your maintenance calories are definitely going to be high. Your BMR is going to be in the 2000's because as I just said in another thread, having found it out on a bbc documentary a little while ago, a pound of fat costs about 16 cals a day to run, and you have a spare 150 of them.

For you to go down to 1000 cals a day will take you so far under your bmr it'll send you out the back door. If I took as many calories off my bmr as you are trying to do I would be having to give food back.

This is why you fall apart when you do these diets. You're SO far under what your body needs to run it just can't take it.

:)