Butts! HELP

Options
I recently lost around 30 pounds & I'm at my goal weight. Now, I'd like to workout my legs/butt seeing as how when I lost weight I lost weight there as well. I never really worked out on my legs or butt and I just now realized I should have.
But I'm confused as to how to get a bigger butt with diet and exercise?
How many days do I workout my butt and legs a week? Do I eat more or eat as if I were dieting (small portions)? What exactly do I eat to help trying to get a nice bum? Please help! I'm really confused about all this.

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Butts are built in the gym. Check out http://bretcontreras.com/ for everything you need to know.

/thread
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Squats with heavy weights.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Drop it like a squat.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    deadlifts, squats, lunges, steps up on bench, running,
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, straight legged deadlifts, glute bridges, hip thrusts, lunges, etc.
  • Kkonowal
    Kkonowal Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation.....bought the brazil butt lift dvds and all i can say is wow! I' m a tall girl 5'8 and at my goal weight of 133 and get compliments on my butt ALL THE TIME! No joke, seroiusly buy them. You wont be sorry ;)
  • Withlovelyv
    Options
    Where can I purchase them & how much was it? :)
    How often did you exercise using that?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

You can't purchase squats.
  • mohojojo
    Options
    I will repeat what everyone else has said...squats, stiff leg dead lifts, lunges, etc.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Squats are free.

Stronglifts 5x5, also free, if you're want to go weighted.
  • Withlovelyv
    Options
    I meant buying the dvd's lol.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

There are no DVD's for squats...:huh:

Buy the book Starting Strength.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

Why spend money? squats are free.
  • jstarz002
    Options

The Brazilian butt lift cd's are crap and will not make your *kitten* bigger. The weights are too light and the exercises not optimal.

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-get-a-better-butt-step-up-your-knowledge/

Here is what Bret wrote about that program

The onus has to be on you, the consumer. I therefore implore you to step it up. Step up your knowledge base so you can discern between good training information and poor training information. If you’ve arrived at this blog, then congratulations, you’ve taken a step in the right direction. I pride myself on utilizing sports science, evidence-based thinking, research, logic, and mathematics to form my opinions. My competition appears to rely mostly on marketing tactics to sucker in the clueless.

Case in Point #1 – Triangle Training Bullcrap by Brazilian Butt Lift

The image below must have recently gotten a zillion shares on Pinterest, Facebook, and the like. This picture doesn’t even properly represent human anatomy. Someone from Brazilian Butt Lift just fabricated gluteal anatomy and listed exercises based on this falsified anatomy.

what-to-do.jpg

Really? How is this even legal?

Real gluteal anatomy looks like this:

Gluteals.png

And even if the picture was adequate, the best exercise that this person could come up with was jumping jacks? Really, jumping jacks? There are in fact exercises that activate the gluteus medius 10 times higher than jumping jacks! Even simple exercises like side planks, side lying clams, and side lying abductions will strengthen the glute medius to a much greater degree than jumping jacks – click HERE for some research to get you started on good basic glute exercises.

But even so, these exercises are only starting points to greater glutes and better butts. See the testimonials tab on this website? These glute transformations were done with heavy weight training.

Nevertheless, the triangle training concept is absurd – bodyweight lunges will hit the gluteus maximus, medius, and minimus harder than the bodyweight squat and jumping jack.

Why do people fall for this bull? Doesn’t this enrage the consumer?

I have horrible flat *kitten* pancake glutes... My glutes increased by an inch and a half by HEAVY barbell hip thrusts (at 200 lbs now), squats, sumo deadlifts, straight legged deadlifts... go HEAVY and eat in a caloric surplus and HIGH PROTEIN.... Sometimes i eat meat 3x a day etc.... count your calories and macros and lift with progression meaning add weight whenever you can. Barbell hip thrust is #1 exercise for glutes bar none. The Brazilian Butt Lift dvd's are trash and a waste of money
  • jstarz002
    Options
    This is the best exercise for glutes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEM5_edC8yE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUQHuDtci_OuUixuCMOVK_6g

Google Bret Contreras on youtube for form instructions.

That and heavy low bar squats. Low bar hits glutes more whereas high bar squats are more quad dominant.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

But. Why?
  • jstarz002
    Options
    I guarantee you those dvd's will NOT make your butt bigger.... I've done them before a long time ago. They are useless. Heavy weights are required for a bigger *kitten*. Eventually you need to go to the ":weight lifting" section of the gym and squat with the BAR (not dumbells) and do hip thrusts etc...

Body weight exercises and light weights will not add size... you need to add weights to make it heavier all the time and eat in surplus (this means weigh everything you eat and eat more than you need) for your muscles to grow.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

You can't purchase squats.

This.
  • Withlovelyv
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! :) guess I won't be buying them anymore now.
  • Kkonowal
    Kkonowal Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    To all the BBL haters- what works for some wont necessarily work for everyone but as a tall girl who had a booty to begin with the program definitely worked for me. I lost 20 pounds in all the right places using the dvds, they're really fun and kept me motivated .