Sweet Potato Recipes

Options
mrsdroz
mrsdroz Posts: 3 Member
Hi I am trying to find ways to make really good meals with sweet potatoes. I am not a fan of plain sweet potatoes baked with nothing on it, but I know sweet potatoes are very healthy. I would like to see what you guys are doing with sweet potatoes so I can try them.....Thanks in advance!!!!

Replies

• ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Here is a soup that I made last weekend...

Cook a diced onion and 3 cloves of garlic in a little (or a lot) of olive oil until it is really DARK brown...
    Add 4 peeled and diced sweet potatos & 4 cut up carrots - sautee for about 10 minutes
    Add a teaspoon of each (or more if you like spicy) - Cumin, Garam Masala, ginger, curry powder 1/2 tsp allspice
    Add enough stock (vegetable, chicken or beef) to cover all the veggies by an inch - about 4 cups - bring to a boil
    cover & reduce heat - cook till the sweet pots are tender - I left them simmer for about an hour stirring every so often

Let this cool a little then using a hand blender or a food processor puree until just a bit chunky.

I served this with diced chicken, sour cream and parmesan cheese...It was awesome!!
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I make "sweet potato hash"

-Peeled and shredded sweet potatoes: bake them at 350 for 20 min to get rid of the moisture

-Fry them in a pan with ground turkey breakfast sausage and onion/garlic

I usually make a bunch of it and then reheat it every morning and put a fried egg on top.

Sorry its not a recipe I usually just throw things together. Its VERY good though!
  • robbiejean53
    Options
    Schwanns has awesome frozen chunks, just bake...
  • bieberfever27
    Options
    Bake sweet potato and top with cinnamon and almond butter:)
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I like to boil diced sweet potatoes (peeled or unpeeled, whichever you prefer) in salted water for 3-5 minutes and add them to salads.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I tend to stuff them with dates to bake and top them with vanilla ice cream.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipe that I've come across so far is sweet potato quesadillas from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home cookbook. The recipe can be found here:

http://biggreenfoodie.blogspot.com/2009/01/sweet-potato-quesadillas.html

I also make sweet potato fries a lot. Just cut a sweet potato up into fries and coat them with a tablespoon of olive oil, add salt and pepper and what ever other spices you like. I put garlic powder, italian herb blend, and cumin on mine. Cook them in the oven at 430 for 20-25 minutes flipping them a couple of times. I sprinkle a tablespoon or two of parmesan cheese on mine and pop them back in the oven for a couple of minutes so the cheese melts a bit.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Tandoori Sweet Potatoes: http://www.food.com/recipe/tasty-tandoori-sweet-potatoes-415193

And if you cut them more thinly and use the same paste/spices and put them on a pizza, omg, so good.
  • Hikr56
    Hikr56 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing, and I'm always looking for new soup recipes. I'll have to give it a try! (Sorry, this was posted incorrectly in reply to the soup recipe)

I peel and cube sweet potatoes and acorn squash. Add a chopped red bell pepper, red onion, salt & pepper (to taste), and rosemary. Toss together with a little extra virgin olive oil and bake at 350 until everything is tender. (45 mins to an hour)
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jonjon111
    jonjon111 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • douglasdog99
    Options
    theres a great sweet potato and cauliflower curry recipe...

Saute an onion in a tiny bit of oil til soft and add 2 spoons of curry paste.
    Dice a sweet potato and stir it in to the paste/onion mix. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a handful of cauliflower florets.
    Simmer for 15 mins, stir in a spoon of tomato puree.
    Simmer til potato chunks are soft.

Enjoy with a pitta bread or small portion of brown rice.

Yum.
  • mrsdroz
    mrsdroz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! These all sound amazing!!!!
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • fishergal5
    fishergal5 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump, good ideas!