DUKAN DIET (for those who have done / doing it)

Options
I'm looking for someone who has done // is doing this diet.
Could someone explain to me;
1. what they expeirenced on this diet
2. if it was more useful than other diets before tried
3. if they gained back AFTER the diet was over // what steps they took after finishing the diet
4. advice // tips for doing this diet

I'm thinking of trying it and want to here info from people who have done it before I make my decision

Replies

• mymission92
    Options
    BUMP! Any advice really appreciated
  • neekosmith
    neekosmith Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1. what they expeirenced on this diet - Rapid weight loss. I lost 13lbs during the 7 day attack phase but then my weight loss kind of stopped once I moved into the cruise phase.

2. if it was more useful than other diets before tried - it was in regards to how last the first 13lbs were lost

3. if they gained back AFTER the diet was over // what steps they took after finishing the diet - Oh yeah, I gained all 13lbs back and then some once I stopped doing the Dukan diet. Its very restrictive and there was no way I was going to be able to stick with it for the long term. Its a forever type deal with the Protein Thursdays continuing on forever.

4. advice // tips for doing this diet - There is a Dukan Diet group on mfp. You might want to check them out for more information. I only lasted 2 months on it before giving up.
  • mymission92
    Options
    Hmm, thanks for your reply!
    I was considering it as I'm an 'all or nothing' type person, after the diet I was going to go to a healthy clean diet but don't want to gain all back even when eating healthy.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I've never done it, but this is just my two cents. Why do something that you wouldn't see yourself staying with for several years if not the rest of your life? Learn how to eat healthy now instead of crash diets and then attempting to learn later.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it and I love it 100%! I look and feel better, never have cravings and best of all, never go hungry! I've tried for over 10 years to lose weight and this diet is the only thing that has ever worked for me- in just 2 months! I wish I knew about it when I was 20... So many years wasted feeling insecure! Well I feel great now and once you get into it... Maybe about a month it's not hard at all, you don't even want to eat any other way.

Hope you find success with it good luck!
  • mymission92
    Options
    I'm doing it and I love it 100%! I look and feel better, never have cravings and best of all, never go hungry! I've tried for over 10 years to lose weight and this diet is the only thing that has ever worked for me- in just 2 months! I wish I knew about it when I was 20... So many years wasted feeling insecure! Well I feel great now and once you get into it... Maybe about a month it's not hard at all, you don't even want to eat any other way.

Hope you find success with it good luck!

Thanks. I struggle with sugar cravings really bad so I think this may help it alot, as other carbs make me crave sugar/sweets! Did you eat alot whilst in the attack phase?
  • sisdunbar
    sisdunbar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree! I have been following the diet since September last year and it's the most successful diet I have ever tried. The first phase is tough, the second, so much better as you reintroduce the vegetables and the third and four phase, easy! I lost over a stone in a month (no exercise at all) and kept losing all through the cruise phase. I have been maintaining my weight at 8st 12 and a size 8 (UK) since October. I think people assume that because the last phase says "eat what you like" that you can. I disagree! You certainly can have two cheat meals a week, but I think you have to stick to the principle of spacing out starchy meals and cheat meals for it to work. Pure Protein every Thursday isn't a problem for me, I don't mind it.

I have a dress that is so clingy and shows every bump. I bought it a couple of years ago and never wore it, it even had its label still on. On Friday I tried it on and thanks to Dukan it fitted like a glove!

Yes, it takes willpower but then so does eating healthily all the time. At least on this diet if you fancy an Indian takeaway you can have one knowing that by the end of the week, those scales wouldn't have moved! I think the idea of this diet is to change how you think about food and making the right choices. I know that if I have potatoes or pasta say for lunch, at dinner time I will have something without anything starchy like maybe a steak and plate of vegetables. I always have a pudding too!
  • mymission92
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I think I'm going to try it, it sound simular to a diet i've previously done (except without the attack phase) and it really curbed my cravings.
    Just unsure as to how to structure my eating for the day. I don't eat red meat either!
  • lking125
    Options
    How long is the first phase? What can you eat to get the fiber / can you eat a slice of high fiber bread? How long did it take you to get into the routine. All I think about is eating lately (well for months now) the more I want to lose weight the more I eat. It is a horrific cycle. My gym closed, was working out at home, lost weight now 2 years later I am at my heaviest ever. Can't fit in my clothes. Desperate to lose. Even my husband who was always like you are fine, etc., is finally saying yes, you should lose the weight, he isn't being mean he is being honest. Blech, I totally hate myself right now. I am hoping logging my food again will keep me honest and on track.
  • lking125
    Options
    I don't eat red meat either, I really don't like meat at all. Makes this difficult. I have to dump the sugar and carb craving somehow though.
  • joeysel
    joeysel Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    In 2010, 2011 and 2012 The British Dietetic Association named the Dukan Diet the number 1 diet to avoid!!!!!
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I did Dukan a few years ago and it worked. Of course I also went back to previous eating style after I lost the weight and gained it back. For me, it is better to eat 'normal' portions and exercise.
  • Tucksy
    Tucksy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight two years ago on Dukan and due to a stressful incident at that time simply lost the ability to keep track and put the weight back on. I am back on it now and finding it the most successful diet for me and have tried several.

I did weight watchers for two months prior to this and lost 2lbs. I would have put on weight if I had eaten all I was allowed to on WW. The cruise phase is a long haul and predicted loss for me is up to 2lb a week. I am doing this through the coaching. It is then to be followed by consolidation whereby you add in 2 celebration meals a week and a protein thursday. This is the pattern for life. While non-starch vegetables form an important element of the diet, fruit is initially kept out of the diet and then limited. Fructose even from fruit and fruit juice in excess is implicated in type 2 diabetes so I understand this diet. I try to vary the protein and eat a considerable amount of fish, ie tinned fish, sardines, mackerel, oysters, mussels (if you are not allergic) and I do use eggs.If you have cholesterol, eggs are limited. Fat and oil are kept out of the diet, but oily fish is allowed. I also eat lots of yogurt, max of two flavoured small yogurt pots a day but unlimited plain yogurt with stevia to satisfy any sweet craving, and of course the two tablespoon oatbran galette, either savoury or sweet depending on my mood. So if you focus on these foods, I think this diet is healthy. If one ate red meat to excess it could be unhealthy, but this is not what the coaching diet would recommend.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I did the diet when it got popular because of the a royal wedding. I didnt need to lose weight back then so I wasnt too serious about it but it was a very tough diet for me!

Hated it. I can't live without my veggies and fruits...