Cardio or Strength

hi A question when one has about 49 kgs to loose which is better A mix of strength/cardio three times a week for about 80 mins a time or all cardio. In between the 3 days of strength/cardio I am aiming on doing walking.

ALSO do you track all strength under cardio strength training or just track the cardio

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I think either could work. Personally, I do 2 days of straight cardio ( walking, stairs, bike, elliptical, etc) and 2-3 days of straight strength, that may or may not raise my HR. When I get down to goal weight, I will look GOOD. No chance of "skinny fat" here.

I have 45 lbs to lose, and the scale has not moved very quickly this year, but I am sure it is diet related. My diet is not the least bit clean. However, my body is constantly changing for the better. I can also barbell squat almost 80% of my body weight.

this is almost 18 months ago, about 4 months after I started my journey, and I had lost about 10lbs
    7170749729_2ea7a3b827.jpg
    IMG00518-20120518-0906 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is me in february, april and september of this year. I am wearing the same outfit in all 3 pictures! I've only lost about 25 pounds since the picture in the purple top.

9799221974_4ccc67c1f0.jpg
    2/13, 4/13, 9/13 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    My opinion only ...

Focus primarily on cardio, but SOME strength - after all, converting some "fat" to "muscle" in addition the the straight calorie burn is key

1) Continue your daily walking, it's doing more than most people give credit for
    2) If you're doing two days of cardio, the third day can be a nice mix of strength and cardio - try circuit training for that day to keep the aerobic benefit going
    3) Mix up your cardio - do Zumba once a month, or something to make it "different" for both you AND your body
    4) Most strength exercises do not either get your heart rate up OR burn many calories
    5) Keep up the excellent mindset AND excellent work!
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Hi dont know if this will be any help to you or not, i have a lung condition and ligament damage in my ankle so have been taking it it slower at the gym, but that being said since December i have lost 34lbs - 15kg . doing one zumba class and one body pump class ( strength / lifting) a week and a odd 20min zumba work out at home if ive felt up to it, my diet isnt good i have takeouts every week and chocolate is a staple. so im sure if you could add a cardio strength like body pump and keep up ur walking and other cardio the 45kg will be gone in no time. and i log my body pump as cardio.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    I find a good mix of both is best for me. If I'm doing 2-3 sessions of weights a week, and about 4 hours of running / rowing, that seems to be a good weightloss zone, as long as I'm being sensible with my food.

Obviously your biggest factor for weightloss is your diet though.
  • Thank you for your support and feedback. Much appreciated.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    I started with a goal of losing 100 pounds, I have done mostly cardio (like walking to work, and occasionally a rowing machine), having said that, I also had some heavy work around the house I had to do so I probably got some strength training in also (building, digging, moving).
    so in my opinion, a mix with a focus on cardio -seems to have worked so far for me.

Also - Honestly, so far, I do not track exercise, and do not figure exercise into my calorie allowance.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    For me both. I do 3 cardio sessions, 1 weights session and 1 that is kind of both every week. I'm working on the hope that my muscles must have been pretty decent to carry around 300+lbs so if I can keep as much of that muscle as possible whilst dropping half the body weight at least then I should look pretty damn toned! (Please no one spoil that illusion for me!)
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    hi A question when one has about 49 kgs to lose which is better A mix of strength/cardio three times a week for about 80 mins a time or all cardio. In between the 3 days of strength/cardio I am aiming on doing walking.

ALSO do you track all strength under cardio strength training or just track the cardio

A mix of cardio and strength would be ideal for weight loss. I would play around with the time and intensity to see what would work best personally. We all are different and what works for one may not work for another. With the research I have been doing on weight loss it seems that there is a general consensus through peers and professionals that a combination of cardio and strength training can maximize ones fat loss. You will be strengthening your muscles and losing fat.

For strength training I do circuit training and add that under cardio.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    A combination of both works well for many people.
    ...converting some "fat" to "muscle"
    No. :grumble: You can lose fat. You can add muscle. You cannot "convert" fat into muscle.
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    No. :grumble: You can lose fat. You can add muscle. You cannot "convert" fat into muscle.

Um, you did notice that "fat" and "muscle" were in quotes, right? Perhaps I should have put the word "convert" into quotes instead. Yeah, I could have used "replace". You know from the way the sentence was written that I was in no way suggesting that you can directly CONVERT fat to muscle, as does everyone else.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    run the search feature and you should fine your answer..there are about 1000 threads devoted to this subject...
  • My opinion only ...

Focus primarily on cardio, but SOME strength - after all, converting some "fat" to "muscle" in addition the the straight calorie burn is key

1) Continue your daily walking, it's doing more than most people give credit for
    2) If you're doing two days of cardio, the third day can be a nice mix of strength and cardio - try circuit training for that day to keep the aerobic benefit going
    3) Mix up your cardio - do Zumba once a month, or something to make it "different" for both you AND your body
    4) Most strength exercises do not either get your heart rate up OR burn many calories

My advice would be to do it the other way round.
    Do strength training to keep as much lean body mass as possible while losing fat.
    Cardio is not needed to lose weight; it's a nice extra to "add" some more calories to your daily goal. You can create your desired deficit by simply eating less, though.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    My opinion only ...

Focus primarily on strength , but SOME cardio - after all, being in a caloric deficit while maintaining lean muscle is key. *Fixed this for you bro*
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Personally, I've been seeing results doing both. I do heavy strength training on top of cardio 3 days a week, and pure cardio 3 days a week.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Everybody has their own opinion about what is the best way. All I can say is, I KNOW what's under my remaining fat. I can feel it when I hoist the barbell loaded with weight over my head. I can feel it when I push back up from a squat with the barbell on my shoulders.

So when I lose all my fat/weight - I will have a strong, healthy body. Cardio will make me drop weight - but lifting heavy is changing my body - and I'm loving it!

Good luck in your choice!
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    My opinion only ...

Focus primarily on strength , but SOME cardio - after all, being in a caloric deficit while maintaining lean muscle is key. *Fixed this for you bro*

Glad you fixed that for him because I was about to. You were nicer than I was going to be though :laugh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member

Um, you did notice that "fat" and "muscle" were in quotes, right? Perhaps I should have put the word "convert" into quotes instead. Yeah, I could have used "replace". You know from the way the sentence was written that I was in no way suggesting that you can directly CONVERT fat to muscle, as does everyone else.

It would be more appropriate to say "preserve muscle while lose fat."

When in a caloric deficit you will lose both fat and muscle. When in a caloric deficit with strength training you will still loose both, however you will lose less lean mass than without, effectively tipping the bf% scale more quickly than you would otherwise. For example, when I was doing only cardio I was loosing weight at a good rate but 25% of my weight loss was coming from lean mass, making only 75% from fat. However, when I started focusing on strength training over cardio while maintaining the same net deficit I was losing only 10% lean mass, effectively losing 90% fat . . . it's an overall more efficient approach.
  • You should do both. One is just as important as the other but for different reasons. Cardio will benefit your heart and blood pressure. Stregth training will build lean muscle and improve overall metabolism. If weight loss is the goal, low weight and high reps will get you there. With cardio, for it to be effective, you need to get to your heart rate up and maintain it for at least 20 minutes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    My opinion only ...

^ This

A caloric deficit is all you need to lose weight. This can be done with diet alone and no exercise, or exercise and diet (same results). By adding strength training, along with adequate protein intake, you will ensure that a larger % of your weight loss will come from fat, and less from lean muscle.

Cardio will benefit your heart, increase endurance, etc, but for weight loss just allows you to eat more while having the same deficit you could have achieved from diet alone.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Speaking from personal experience only, I would suggest both but mainly strenght. I mean compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, overhead press, good mornings. Those get my heartrate up more than endurance running and I've gotten far better results with it.

I did lose weight on cardio (mainly running) before, but at the end I was just flabby - not fit. I'm doing crossfit at the moment and the image in the mirror is looking SO much better! Also the scale has gone down even though I don't want/need to lose more.

You could probably best do both, although I would chose HIIT above endurance running anytime.