losing weight quickly

Options
I wanted to know if people were losing a considerable amount of weight quickly within the first few weeks of doing this. I'm not starving myself, i'm staying just under my calorie limit a day (1500) and it seems i'm losing weight very quickly (i don't think i look any different yet though). I've only been doing this 2 weeks and from 205lb i've dropped to 195.6lb. Trust me, I am NOT complaining, i've been trying to lose weight for years now. But it sounds unhealthy and I wanted to know if people experienced this within the first few weeks too?
I have cut out a lot of bad food and haven't really eaten any sweets since I started (which was my biggest problem). So i'm guessing it's just a shock to the system for the moment.
I noticed this because i'd calculated this weeks loss wrong somehow because I calculated the weight from KG to LB and put on here that i was nearly 3lb more than I was.

Replies

• karenga
    karenga Posts: 28
    Options
    I also dropped big numbers for the first 2 weeks then nothing for the next 2. After that it has been an even amount each week. So look out for the nothing weeks!! Keep working hard,
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey there - congrats on your weight loss by the way :-)

I found the same thing: I lost the first 20lbs in under 10 weeks; the second 20 took a lot, lot longer (about 15/16 weeks or so) I hit a couple of plateaux during the second half and had to change up my exercise and pay more attention to my food by upping protein and lowering carbs ever so slightly. Changing the exercise I was doing *really* helped. So yeah, I assumed the initial loss was the 'shock' where my body was gleefully shedding weight :-)

Good luck!
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've also had something similar.

I lost 9lbs in the first week and 4lbs in the second before settling down to losing 2-3lbs a week.

I'm now 6 weeks in and have lost 24lbs thus far!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm not expecting to continue dropping 5lb every week (lets be realistic here, that's the stuff of dreams). But I wondered if others experienced it too because it sounds so drastic! especially when i see little evidence of it. all i can really tell is that my tummy is a bit flatter and less bloated already.

I am expecting a hard and difficult journey ahead and to have disappointing weeks where i lose nothing. i'm so glad i found this site where i can share the journey with others :)
  • AlexD3
    AlexD3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Same experience as everyone else. I thought that it might be water weight. I'm not sure.
  • raain
    raain Posts: 4
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight quickly also when I started doing this in July of this year. I think it was about 10 pounds the first 2 weeks like you. I drink a ton of water using an app for my ipod, and have changed my eating habits as well, and now on average loose about 1.5 pounds a week. Hope this helps you. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • melodious2878
    Options
    Yeah, usually what you lose first is the water weight. That's why it comes off so quickly at first. It'll slow down. Just keep tracking. :)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread by a very knowledgable member. He explains what to expect at each phase of weight loss. Your experiences are very normal. Don't worry!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations?hl=expectations
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I lost the first couple of weeks and then stopped and then lost again.
    What I found helps is to take your measurements as well as your weight once a week. The weeks I didn't loose weight: I lost cm!!!! So you keep feeling good about your losses...
    Well done: keep going!!!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting that link! That's a huge help and now I know what to expect at certain stages :D
  • DixieDee
    Options
    It is not unsual when you first begin for the weight to come off quickly. It will slow as you continue on. You will find that you with hit dips and platos. Don't give up.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb: first 10 are the easiest, last 10 are the hardest. I just "re-started" (although I haven't left) and I think I finally have it right - I've lost about 6 lbs this last week. I too don't expect that continue. If it does, my cals are too low. So, that's what I'd suggest. If it lasts longer than 2 weeks, then up your cals 100-200 and play with it from there.

Good luck & congrats!
  • darcibean
    Options
    My husband and I have been eating a lot less calories. I am eating 1200 calories a day and I have lost 5.1 lbs in a week, my hubby lost 10.1 lbs! I can only wish it keeps going like this, but I'm sure it won't! Keep up the good work!
  • ActionJackson
    Options
    Enjoy it while it lasts. You will plateau.
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    I lost quickly in the first few weeks - it's mostly water to start. Don't worry it will slow down a bit. Well done on your loss so far xxx