Calorie Counter Confusion

Options
I used a workout DVD, and am now inputting it on my exercise log. Of course I also use Endomondo, and it calculated for me, but because there was no distance, it didn't factor in that I'd walked one mile or my mph.

I walked 1.09 miles yesterday outside, and Endomondo calculated 1.09 miles/30.58min/2.1 mph. this included my warm up walking. Calories burned 247.

Endomondo calculated today for the video: 0 miles/17.20min/0.0mph. calories burned 62.

That's a huge difference, in calories and mph. At the 17.20 minutes it took me to do the DVD, that's like 3.5 mph. Which could be accurate considering it was steady movement, and intense. The other thing is Endomondo lists all my workouts as walking, slow pace 2.0mph. If anyone knows how I can change that on their website, please advise. Or maybe that's based on all the personal data I put in?

So i plugged into the calorie counter "Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace" for 17 minutes and got 119 calories
I plugged into the calorie counter "Aerobics, low impact" for 17 minutes and got 156 calories

Reading the forum, it appears everyone thinks Endomondo pads the numbers for calorie burning, making them higher. If this is the case, then the 247 I guess is inaccurate. The thing is, I just don't know, have no clue, etc. I know that based on the dvd creator and averages, a person 150lbs would burn 100 calories doing this video, or 150 w/weights. I am way more than 150lbs, so I have no clue what my measurement would be.

Please give me your opinions on how to best go about this. I may have to nix Endomondo, though I like it. Other than it constantly stopping while I was walking. I will get a heart rate monitor, but that won't do my distance/route, which is important to me.

Replies

• grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I only use endomondo for workouts where I am actually moving distance (walking, hiking, etc), more to get my speed and distance data. For everything else (videos, treadmill walking) I just input manually into MFP.

For endomondo you can shut off the auto pause feature so it will stop turning itself off. On my phone it is under settings/workout settings there should be an option for auto pause on or off. Turn it off and it won't pause. I usually turn mine off when I am walking with my kids and know I will be stopping a lot. It makes my speed inaccurate, but it will still give me a good distance reading. I have an android phone, I don't know if it is different on an iphone or not if that is what you are using.
  • gogozinn
    gogozinn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I will just use it for the time it factored for me to do the video, but just manual my calories based on walking at a brisk pace. I was definitely not doing a slow pace, based on my heart rate. I shut off the auto pause, and actually, this time it didn't stop at all like before. Thanks