Vibration Platforms

Options
Does anyone know what using a vibration platform would be equivalent to exercise wise?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    running twenty miles while doing olympic weight lifting.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I've heard some users log it as "zumba"
  • Rosealind
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts, gentlemen :)
  • Rosealind
    Options
    NASA uses vibration platforms to maintain bone density and put muscle back on astronauts who lose condition in outer space, Captain Opollo.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    NASA uses vibration platforms to maintain bone density and put muscle back on astronauts who lose condition in outer space, Captain Opollo.

Yes, they use the vibration plate in conjunction with other exercises not instead of real exercise. Vibration has also been used in physiotherapy for many years.

Sadly, many makers of these machines are trying to market them as an alternative to real exercise (eg 10 minutes = 60 minute workout) which is grossly misleading. (Not unlike the advertising claims of many supplement makers) Save your money & buy some running shoes and weights......
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Since you're an astronaut recovering from a trip, why don't you just ask your NASA physiotherapist?
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm 140lbs and burn 80 calories in 10 minutes. I created by New exercise under my exercises for it. I usually go after boxing and it has improved the appearance of my legs. Why not wear a HRM and see how much you burn?
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My OH's mother has started this, she calls it 'going for a wobble'. She's now cancelled her gym membership to go stand on a vibrating plate for 10 mins at a time and is wondering why she hasn't lost weight lately. *facepalm*
    I see no harm in this except when you're expecting miraculous results and to burn 600+ calories in 10 mins. Maybe doing exercises you'll get some sort of strength training but for fat loss I'm not sold.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    There are only two o's in Apollo.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    My OH's mother has started this, she calls it 'going for a wobble'. She's now cancelled her gym membership to go stand on a vibrating plate for 10 mins at a time and is wondering why she hasn't lost weight lately. *facepalm*
    I see no harm in this except when you're expecting miraculous results and to burn 600+ calories in 10 mins. Maybe doing exercises you'll get some sort of strength training but for fat loss I'm not sold.

Have you tried to find out if there are any harmful effects?
  • Rosealind
    Options
    Captain Apollo - it's just smelling pistakes. :happy:

Iron Smasher - Google is my only reference point because of course suppliers aren't going to say anything detrimental. The reviews are mixed but weighed in favor of the benefits. Fingers crossed.

Magentamorbid - I haven't exercised much in years and that, plus stress, plus menopause plus not knowing the correct nutrition have all added to the scary reality that if I don't move more, I'll be a decrepit old lady by 75. So here I am!

The thing I've noticed about the platform is that I feel energized but relaxed after using it - even after 10 minutes. My cortisol levels are over the top high when I wake up in the morning. It's not only the body wanting food, it's also anxiety/stress about the day ahead. It's become habitual and I'm trying to break the habit because the stress is sort of unwarranted - an overcompensation.
    My understanding of stress is that it instigates the fight or flight response and most stresses we can't run from; we have to just grin and bear them. That releases an over-abundance of all sorts of chemicals/hormones in the body that have nowhere to go. Research now shows that stress is a number one contributor to weight gain. The platform seems to be giving a physical outlet to be able to get rid of that cortisol high and it's instant. I don't have to get changed, lock the house, go to the gym, worry about the weather etc.

All my eggs aren't in one basket exercise wise and while I may not lose weight with the platform if it helps alleviate my high cortisol levels first up in the morning, I see it as a positive - for me.

Thanks everyone - I thought it would be day for people to respond. Nice surprise.