Low Carb October

Options
So in honor of my new goal: 20 pounds in 5 months I'm going to start off October with my Low Carb October Challenge.

My goal will be to eat a low carb diet all 31 days of october, however my low carb will not include cutting out carbs from fruits, etc but from white processed grains - ie: white bread, white rice, etc. My thought process is to focus on having 1 good grain carb a day and 1 "other" carb (probably from fruit) a day. So an apple for my afternoon snack and brown rice for dinner. Something like that.
I'd love love love! advice from anyone and everyone who has tried a low carb / no carb diet. Advice, tips, options for snacks and alternatives would be great! And if anyone would like to join in with me on either my low carb October adventure or my 20 pounds in 5 months overall goal just friend me and let me know! We can work together to make sure we achieve our weight loss goal!

And for any of you interested in my 20 pounds in 5 months goal there is one rule to join: You have to pick a reward for yourself! For me, if I achieve my goal by March 1 I will be buying myself some plane tickets to Las Vegas :) I've always wanted to go and thought this would be the perfect motivator.

Thanks in advance to everyone for their help, tips and encouragements!

Replies

• caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I cant do low carb as i'm veggie, but best of luck to you.
  • our_ayley
    our_ayley Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started low carb yesterday, you can add me if you want
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so you're not going to eat any veg for a month?!
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't mean eating no veg - it just means choosing from the many non-starchy ones.

I eat low carb and eat more veggies than I ever did before, same as most others :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't mean eating no veg - it just means choosing from the many non-starchy ones.

I eat low carb and eat more veggies than I ever did before, same as most others :smile:

i agree, but the OP said she would have one 'good grain carb' and one 'other carb - fruit' per day, she didnt mention any veg, thats why i questioned it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1 good grain carb a day

Is there such a thing ? Be better using those carbs from green vegetables etc.

Grains are all high carb regardless of colour, the glycemic index is generally over 50 so they're absorbed pretty quick.
  • avr5097
    avr5097 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

i agree, but the OP said she would have one 'good grain carb' and one 'other carb - fruit' per day, she didnt mention any veg, thats why i questioned it.

My mistake - I wasn't counting green veggies as a "carb". I mean potatoes, a carb. carrots, lettuce, not a carb. At least in my case!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You aren't doing low carb eating grains and fruit.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You aren't doing low carb eating grains and fruit.

Exactly. If you want to eat this way, fine, but please don't call it low carb.