Excersizing in cold weather advice needed?

Options
I recently switched my excersize time to early AM, and while it hasn't been too cold yet in the mornings, it has been quite a bit nippy. Was wondering what people do in the morning to keep off that chill? do you layer up? and just carry layers on you? do you just get through those couple cold minutes until your body warms up?

what about a recommendation for a pair of lightweight gloves?

thanks

Replies

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Gloves are definitely a good idea. Depending on how cold it gets where you live, you might be able to tough it out through the cold for the first few minutes and be golden until you're finished working out, but if you're not able to stay warm enough comfortably then it's a good idea to wear a jacket. It all depends on you and how you feel :)

ETA: and it doesn't really matter what gloves you wear, but I recommend a pair without fingertips (I usually just cut the tips off of a pair) if you workout/ run with your phone for GPS or anything
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Where are you at? Many of us have different definitions of "cold", and that will vary the advice.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but in the US you can get those thin, stretchy one size fits all gloves at places like Target for a dollar or two a pair. I've got a couple pair of those -- they're thin enough that you can still work an iPod with them on and cheap enough that if your hands get hot and you put them in your pocket and they fall out it's not a big loss.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on what type of exercise you're doing. I remember a post last winter where a runner said that you should dress for 20 degrees warmer than the thermometer says. But that's for running. I don't know if it pertains to other types of exercise.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    As someone who lives in the Arctic, I suggest the gloves that have the touch pad fingers on them -- that way you can keep your fingers warm while using touch-screen technology. People here tend to go more for underneath layers (like long/thermal underwear) than heavy coats/jackets which could make it hard to run. Proper traction on footwear is of course essential if you're going to be encountering any ice. YakTrax are my favorite, and they make different models for walkers vs runners.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I tough it out the first few minutes so I don't end up taking stuff off and having to do something with it. I wear dollar store fuzzy gloves that work great as snot absorbers. I bought a few pair and just toss them in the wash when I get home.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Layer up. It's really all you can do. but once you get moving, you won't notice the cold.

I say this as someone who used to work out outside in -10 degrees. I'd be overheating by the time I finished.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    For cold I wear a few layers depending on the temp. I have lightweight and heavyweight compression tights and I'll wear track pants over them. Same on top. Short or long sleeve tech shirt with a heavy hoodie over that then a zip up hoodie if needed. A fleece balaclava and a pair of fleece gloves round it all out. The gloves I have are just Livestrong brand I think I picked up at the sporting good store. Good luck!
  • kumphort2
    kumphort2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on the east coast, so again it hasnt been freezing in the mornings, but some morning were closer to 40, and just getting me thinking, because I know it can quickly change.

I think if i got full length pants, that would be a good start, and I want a pair of thin gloves, I also don't want to have to start peeling layers off, and need to carry them around with me.

I will prob. also look into getting a thin polar vest with pockets, so i can stick in the gloves, as I get too hot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Proper gear...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I hate to get all sweaty, so I LOVE exercising in cold weather. My fiancé and I love to play tennis when it's 30 degrees outside!

As for long early morning walks in the winter, I just bundle up. I have old school headphones that cover my ears and serve a dual purpose as ear warmers! I personally like fingerless gloves, too. Once you get the blood pumping you will stay warm!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I am on the east coast, so again it hasnt been freezing in the mornings, but some morning were closer to 40, and just getting me thinking, because I know it can quickly change.

I think if i got full length pants, that would be a good start, and I want a pair of thin gloves, I also don't want to have to start peeling layers off, and need to carry them around with me.

I will prob. also look into getting a thin polar vest with pockets, so i can stick in the gloves, as I get too hot.

Thin layers then.
  • ronit1601
    Options
    have u seen rocky 4?
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I run in temps as low as 10 degree, anything less and I chicken out and head indoors! However, layers are your friend!! A pair of nice running tights and wool socks for your feet and legs, and 2 longsleeve tops with a tank underneath are usually great for me! I have many pairs of those cheap cotton gloves, I sometimes wear 2 on each hand! And a nice hat is a must for your head/ ears!! You always want to dress 20 degrees warmer since you will heat up once you begin running, if that's what your doing, I probably should have asked first lol! Also runners world.com has a what to wear tool, you input the temp, weather conditions and it wi spit out suggestions for you!