Struggling to stick with it on weekends!

Looking for advice from those who keep up with their tracking ALL 7 days of the week! ;-)

I am finding the weekends to be especially hard, especially since on one of my old diet plans, Saturday was cheat day - that has been ingrained in my mind, and it's like I feel entitled to go nuts on Saturdays (which basically turns into the entire weekend). Any advice?? How do you all stay accountable on weekends?

Thanks!

Replies

• KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Looking for advice from those who keep up with their tracking ALL 7 days of the week! ;-)

I am finding the weekends to be especially hard, especially since on one of my old diet plans, Saturday was cheat day - that has been ingrained in my mind, and it's like I feel entitled to go nuts on Saturdays (which basically turns into the entire weekend). Any advice?? How do you all stay accountable on weekends?

Thanks!

Why are you breaking it down day by day? Instead break it down week by week and incorporate the "cheating" of Saturday and Sunday into the entire plan. You dont have to change anything except your perspective.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    I accumulate 'loss' of calories through the week and use a little of it (20% as my allowance). I used to be the same and now I reign it in a bit without being harsh.

For example, if I save 3000 calories between Monday and Friday, with exercise thrown in and calories saved on meal intake, I allow myself 600 calories excess as Saturday is a rest day. I then try and target myself on Sunday to make it back up so I still end the week no worse off than I was on the Friday. Sunday is also the day I go for a longer run (5 miles+) so I can easily make it back up. Then rinse and repeat.
  • KimberlyVerb
    KimberlyVerb Posts: 17 Member
    Make sure you look at the bar graph for caloric intake. When I started following that, I started holding myself more accountable everyday. Weekends suck because you're around people that aren't logging and being strike with what they are eating. Just take it slow, you'll get there :)
  • This is what I do and I know some are against it but I don't count my calories. I just eat healthy foods like fruit and veges..organic grains and of course water, I eat as much as I want. Well until I'm not hungry anymore, I never eat until I am full or my stomach hurts. I exercise every now and then but my weightless has mainly been from strictly eating healthy.

You could try this...for the whole week eat nothing but healthy food, you can still count calories but don't worry about it as much. Then on that cheat day, eat whatever food you want...junk food, anything. I guarantee you after you repeat this you'll notice that after that cheat day it leaves you feeling like crap versus the other days you feel great because your health. Then you wont want a cheat day anymore.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    I just keep logging. I do tend to "save up" calories from the weekdays and not sweat the weekends so much. I wish MFP had a weekly calorie graph so I could compare calories week to week as well as day to day.

When I eat large I just try to exercise away what I can and move on. This should be a lifestyle you can live with long term.
  • jessimacd
    jessimacd Posts: 53 Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Changing my perspective has helped a lot. I have done so many diets over the years and when I restrict myself and think "oh I can't have that' that's when I want it. I think it's about making better food choices and not just counting calories. Overtime your body will change and you won't crave the same things. Also maybe look for some alternative recipes that are good for you, but have the taste you are looking for. In my experience dieting doesn't work for long term, but the best thing you can do for yourself is just get back to the basics and start eating whole foods.