Impatience!

Options
Does anyone else feel that impatience is the most dangerous thing on a weight loss journey ever? I want the weight gone, like, yesterday and while I know in my head that that's impossible, I still feel really restless about the fact that this isn't going to happen for me instantly. And that only leads to me feeling disappointed, which occasionally results in self-sabotage. It's pretty ridiculous.

Replies

• alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I have days where I think I'll never be thin and I might as well binge.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I'm just trying to take it one small goal at a time so that it won't feel like it's taking forever.
  • ondopa
    Options
    I understand exactly how you feel. I want the weight gone, like yesterday. But what has been working for me is that I take one day at a time. If I have a bad day, I don't dwell on it, I just make sure I do better the next day. Hang in there, the weight will come off.
  • CitronAtomique
    CitronAtomique Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is so true...
  • Sheltie4me
    Sheltie4me Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes this is so very true
  • Milynne
    Milynne Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's difficult. I step on the scale daily, expecting it to drop drastically, but it doesn't and it won't.

We didn't put the weight on in one day, we won't take it off in one! We just gotta take it one small step at a time and cheer the small losses as we would the big and before you know it...the pounds feel like they've just melted away!

You can do this :)
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I have days where I think I'll never be thin and I might as well binge.

me too!
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree too. I'm sick of the fact that my clothes are too tight and really fed up with my muffin top and having to wear baggy tops to hide it! One thing I've found though is that being on this site has helped keep me on track.

I'm a serious comfort eater and just recently things have been getting to me and there have been several occasions over the past few weeks where I've nearly given in and thought sod it, I'm having pizza for tea tonight or a big bowl of pasta and sauce, but knowing that I've got to log it down reminds me of why I'm doing this in the first place and has subsequently stopped me.

It's not easy, though my main issue is toning which IMO is just as difficult a trek as losing weight, you just have to persevere. I've never been a patient person regarding anything - I don't want it now - I want it yesterday, or even the day before!

You can do it, focus on one day at a time and you'll get there. Another thing that I've found that helped regarding weight loss is that I only weigh myself once a week, on the same day, at the same time (as soon as I get up) and wearing the same clothes - basically just my undies. Your weight can change from day to day depending on what you've eaten the day before, fluid retention etc, so I would advise that you try not to weigh yourself every day as that will only make you feel worse if it goes up one day.

Keep your chin up, you will get through this and maybe check out the success stories to give you a bit more motivation. Good luck.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    You didn't put the weight on in a day, so you can't possibly expect it to come off in a day. Patience is definitely the hardest part but as soon as you start seeing results, it gets a lot easier. Celebrate the accomplishments and push to your next one.
  • gary48
    gary48 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially those periods where I'm not making much progress. There are few things more discouraging than stepping on the scale in the morning, knowing I did really well yesterday, and actually weighing more! Of course, I know it's probably water weight, but still. . . .

One thing I do is I carry on my iPhone a picture of me from a couple of years ago when I weighed over 215 pounds. I've lost a lot since then, and whenever I'm feeling discouraged or impatient, it helps to look at that picture and remind myself of how far I've come.
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add - read MFP Fitspiration (at the top of the page). I read it for the first time yesterday and it was so moving - made me laugh, smile and cry (happy tears!).
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I just give myself a 6 month time window to work with and dont worry about my weight that much until I get closer to that date. It sort of defers worrying about it that much since you are taking action to get to your goal later. I'd like to be in awesome shape today as well, but that's not how it works, so if I focus on next spring/summer and looking much better, its easier to deal with the slow progress right now, since I know I'm going to reach my goal in the not so distant future. Works for me anyway.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Whether you have 5 pounds to lose or 200 pound to lose, this is always the biggest challenge.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You didn't put the weight on in a day, so you can't possibly expect it to come off in a day. Patience is definitely the hardest part but as soon as you start seeing results, it gets a lot easier. Celebrate the accomplishments and push to your next one.

I would accept this wisdom much more philosophically if only I didn't gain weight about three times faster than I can possibly lose it!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    IMHO, a combination of increased knowledge about the process (why fluctuations happen, healthy/realistic weight loss goals, etc) a logical rather than emotional outlook, and some perspective on life in general (no FWP drama) can really help with the patience side of it. Plus, what's the huge rush? You're going to get there...why does it have to be NOW instead of 2 or 3 years from now. Slow and steady will help keep it off in the long run.
  • littlenature
    Options
    Well, at least I know I'm not the only impatient one out there! :) Weight loss is more a battle with the mind than the body sometimes, isn't it?