Fitbit VS Bodymedia Fit

Options

Replies

• inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Have had both, the are pretty similar. No difference in accuracy that I could tell. Fitbit is easier to hide. The company pissed me off bc they only offered me a slight discount on a new fitbit when it died bc I sweated too much on it even though it was less then a year old. WTF!? A fitness item u can't sweat on!? They very sweetly (NOT!) told me they have a new fitbit I should consider buying that is water/sweat resistant. Relatively new to bodymedia. Refused to get another fitbit after that wonderful interaction w customer service. I haven't had issues so don't know if their service is any better.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I hope it's okay to comment on a different one that I got as I have never tried either of those. Like you, I had gotten a Polar and the one I had gotten was about $200. After the battery ran out, I had a horrible time getting it to work again without sending it off to Polar. I recently got a HRM called ePulse2 and so far I really like it. I don't wear it all day, but just when I work out. I wore it here to work (I work in a medical clinic) and put a pulse ox on my finger to see if the epulse was matching up with our medical ones. It matched exactly which I was happy with. I have a mechanical aortic heart valve so it's good for me to keep good track of my HR while exercising. I can also see calories burned, along with it let me set my stride and use it as a pedometer when I walk in the evenings. It is worn on the upper forearm near the elbow. It cost about $85 off Amazon.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia LINK armband.

When I was wearing it religiously (we started remodeling and I misplaced the power cord, but found it again!) i totally forgot I had it on....even hopped in the shower with in on (thankfully didn't get it too wet, still works!)

It's comfortable. I've never gotten 'dimples' or a rash from it.
    (you know how continuous and hard you have to press on skin/muscles to get a permanent 'dent'? Very hard for a long time, you aren't supposed to wear the band super tight.)

I love that it syncs with my smartphone so I can check progress at will, and with the new update, the data from the armband can be synced to the BodyMedia website via upload through the smartphone app. I also like that it tracks sleep and sleep efficiency. That's one area I've been trying to work on is being more mindful of getting a proper sleep amount.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia LINK armband.

When I was wearing it religiously (we started remodeling and I misplaced the power cord, but found it again!) i totally forgot I had it on....even hopped in the shower with in on (thankfully didn't get it too wet, still works!)

It's comfortable. I've never gotten 'dimples' or a rash from it.
    (you know how continuous and hard you have to press on skin/muscles to get a permanent 'dent'? Very hard for a long time, you aren't supposed to wear the band super tight.)

I love that it syncs with my smartphone so I can check progress at will, and with the new update, the data from the armband can be synced to the BodyMedia website via upload through the smartphone app. I also like that it tracks sleep and sleep efficiency. That's one area I've been trying to work on is being more mindful of getting a proper sleep amount.

I had not heard of the Bodymedia until this post but that is cool that is measure sleep and sleep efficiency!! Sleep IS very important and one thing I need to get more of also. I typically get about 5 hours a night and feel tired much of the time.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit. As a vain female, I wouldn't consider anything on my arm.
  • Gorillanosh
    Gorillanosh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and linked it to Myfitnesspal. if i stick to the calorie goals that are produced with the conjunction of fitbit and myfitnesspal, i lose 2 lbs a week just like it says i will.

I was honest about my activity level and would have altered it if things were not corelating. The fitbit hangs from a necklace on a carabiner. Cant lose it, not in the way at all.... I am not going to walk around with an arm band. I dont care about what others think either, but having an armband on 24/7 does not appeal to me.

Fitbit has no subscription (there is a premium option but its pointless for most) and i forget i have it.

I can vouch for accuracy. Johnythans experience is the same exact one as mine. it has been a steady and measured weight loss. I dont even have to exercise much unless i want to fit some indulgences in.
  • phock
    phock Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here is my two cents...

Let me first say I am purchasing a FITBIT this weekend. I currently have BodyMedia Link.

I also use (or have used the following):
    Garmin 310 XT
    Garmin 910 XT
    Polar HRM (not sure which)
    Garmin Edge 500 (cycling only)
    Garmin Edge 810 (cycling only)

So to help put all this together, for about 2 weeks during my workouts (and only my workouts - I race triathlons and wil lrace my 2nd Ironman this year in Oct.)

I found the following:
    Garmin 310 has the lowest calories burned
    Polar has the highest calories burned - sometimes laughable like almost double the others!
    BodyMedia Falls in the middle, about 10 to 15% more than Garmin

Even between the Garmin devices, there is variation due to the age of the algorithms used. The 910 and 810 are the newest and use technology from FirstBeat (you can research their studies/white papers online if you are a nerd like me).

When using the 910xt, the Calorie burn is higher than the 310xt (both are triathlon gps hrm). The 910xt is lower on the calorie burn than BodyMedia and still WAY different than Polar. Essentially, I felt my Polar was way off and quite honestly, useless for calorie burn. Don't get me wrong, for heart rate training (Google it), it would be more than a great entry point just ignore the calories burned.

Because I am vain, I have worn the body media both on my arm and around my ankle - essentially the same results for the same workouts (bike rides) Maybe 20-50 calorie difference, which over a 3 -5 hour ride is within the margin of error given outdoor temp variations, recovery, existing fatigue, etc.

Now when I cycle, because I usually wear a tank top, I wear the bodymedia around my ankle (doesn't look as dorky and it avoids a tan line)

To give you an idea of the difference between Garmin and BodyMedia

6 hour century ride (lower intensity):
    Garmin 2100 calories roughly
    Body Media 2300 calories

2 hour cycling:
    Garmin: 525
    Body Media: 640

Brick workout (bike and run on same day, in succession):
    235 Minutes cycling + 150 minute Run
    Garmin: 2995 cals
    Body Media: 3592 cals

FYI, using various Garmin GPS devices, the last 365 days I have logged over 3300 miles cycling, and 700 miles running. 2900 of those miles have been since I have purchased, and usually worn, the BodyMedia. Garmin has me listed as (for only the workouts) burning over 133,000 calories. BodyMedia only lets me report the last 28 days.

So the Grand Question: Which is more accurate? To be honest, I think the body media is more accurate for the 'daily use' as it accounts for 'all the other daily stuff' we do, but I feel it overestimates during 'real' workouts. So, it's almost a wash if your workouts are an hour or so, or less. I ran a slight deficit the month of July, according to Body Media. I did want to run a caloric deficit so I could get 'Lean Muscle' for racing. I lost about 2 lbs (which I didn't log on MFP). On average, I ran a deficit of 247 calories for 28 days. On longer workouts, I usually ignore the BodyMedia Adjustment or delete it, as feel it is high. So I use a mix that seems to work well for my goals. As with MFP, BodyMedia, Garmin, Polar are all just pieces of the puzzle. And it's a different puzzle each day, for each person.

Sidenote: there is a lot more to consider, point out, contemplate, debate, etc., but its becoming a thesis... I pointed out what I feel is the meat of the bones, but PLEASE take it with a grain of salt. There was no real 'Scientific Method' applied.

Additionally, when I get the FITBIT, I will revisit my post with what find. One thing I like, and the reason I am looking at the FITBIT, is I can wear it while I shower. I sometimes forget to put the BodyMedia back on after showering. Now if only I can find one I can swim in (it doesn't even need to take measurements lol).

Hope this helps!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have both. I find my BMF gives me a regular daily calorie burn of 200 Cals above that of my Fitbit.
  • phock
    Options
    I started using FITBIT, and also am wearing BodyMedia.

Things I need to point out about Body Media - It DOES NOT leave any lasting impressions/marks on the skin. I snickered when I read that! Who ever posted that is ill informed. After you remove it, yes, there is a mark on you, sorta like when you take off tighter socks, there are indents. In an hour, the mark is gone. I have been using BodyMedia since January and still don't have any deformities. BodyMedia uses Heart Rate, Movement, and Body Temp (which I don't nec. agree with) to determine calories and if you are 'vigorously' working out.

I don't yet know how FITBIT Flex works, but the no where in the literature does it say it uses heart rate. Heart rate is the second best method for determine calories burned (distant second from the best way - wearing the mask, measuring CO2 output, etc, but still second). The SLEEP mode is aweful. Flex, you need to tap the thing to tell it you are going to sleep, and tap it when you wake up. Body Media knows when you are lying down, as well as when you are lying down, awake, or lying down asleep. The problem is it cannot differentiate when I am lying on the couch watching TV, or lying in bed, trying to fall asleep.

After a long, cold, wet bicycling ride, Body Media had me burning 1265 calories. Garmin had me burning 1010. Fitbit had me at 320. Its new to me, so I will check into this.

So far:
    2 Days in: BodyMedia 2, Fitbit 0
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One that I wear 24/7 and I also have a Polar FT4 hrm that I wear when I'm working out. I love them both
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Things I need to point out about Body Media - It DOES NOT leave any lasting impressions/marks on the skin. I snickered when I read that! Who ever posted that is ill informed.

So far:

Ill-informed?

Tell all the people in this thread (and others on this site and other sites) that they don't actually have any indentations or impressions on their arms. They're just ill-informed.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/871534-bodymedia-fit-or-bodybugg-arm-indentations

Also, speaking of ill-informed:
    BodyMedia uses Heart Rate

You are ill-informed. BodyMedia products do not measure or use heart rate. The armband measures movement (steps), sweat, and temperature.
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using the Fitbit One, though I continue to research other options (especially new ones). For me the advantage of the Fitbit has been that it is a great choice for just wearing at all times. While there are other options that add interesting data, or accuracy, during workouts the Fitbit lets me track activity during real life without getting in the way of real life.

So far, for me, the problem with the Bodymedia Fit is that its too intrusive for constant wear yet doesn't add enough data to make the inconvenience worthwhile. If they come out with a version that does measure heart rate, well then I'd reconsider it.
  • phock
    Options
    Things I need to point out about Body Media - It DOES NOT leave any lasting impressions/marks on the skin. I snickered when I read that! Who ever posted that is ill informed.

So far:

Ill-informed?

Tell all the people in this thread (and others on this site and other sites) that they don't actually have any indentations or impressions on their arms. They're just ill-informed.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/871534-bodymedia-fit-or-bodybugg-arm-indentations

You are ill-informed. BodyMedia products do not measure or use heart rate. The armband measures movement (steps), sweat, and temperature.

The people prob. have the thing on too tight! Then they piss and moan because there is a mark on their arm for an hour or so! lol. It's comical. Sort of like wearing boxer briefs with elastic that bunches in an area - there is a mark for a spell then its gone! :)

As I mentioned, I have worn the BodyMedia for over 6 months, removing to shower and swim. No lasting marks! I also move it to my ankle when I am out in the sun because I am vein and don't even want tan lines.

I was wrong about the Body Media, you are correct. It doesn't use heart rate. I thought I read it did several months ago. It should since it has the metal plates already there. I assumed it did as the calories were fairly close to my HRM.

Give me a two weeks (I have a recovery week for workouts - low intensity / low volume, followed by a high volume / high intensity week) and I can definitively tell you which I think is better since I am currently wearing them both!

At the moment, my first pick is still any Garmin HRM! I started using FITBIT, and also am wearing BodyMedia.

Another FYI - The crude Activity Calculators on FITBIT and BodyMedia can be WAY off. FITBIT says for my Bike ride, I burned roughly 2950 calories and BodyMedia's calculator had me burn 3050.
  • jonnythan
    Options

So far:

Ill-informed?

The people prob. have the thing on too tight! Then they piss and moan because there is a mark on their arm for an hour or so! lol. It's comical. Sort of like wearing boxer briefs with elastic that bunches in an area - there is a mark for a spell then its gone! :)

As I mentioned, I have worn the BodyMedia for over 6 months, removing to shower and swim. No lasting marks! I also move it to my ankle when I am out in the sun because I am vein and don't even want tan lines.

I was wrong about the Body Media, you are correct. It doesn't use heart rate. I thought I read it did several months ago. It should since it has the metal plates already there. I assumed it did as the calories were fairly close to my HRM.

Give me a two weeks (I have a recovery week for workouts - low intensity / low volume, followed by a high volume / high intensity week) and I can definitively tell you which I think is better since I am currently wearing them both!

At the moment, my first pick is still any Garmin HRM! I started using FITBIT, and also am wearing BodyMedia.

Another FYI - The crude Activity Calculators on FITBIT and BodyMedia can be WAY off. FITBIT says for my Bike ride, I burned roughly 2950 calories and BodyMedia's calculator had me burn 3050.

Fitbit devices measure movement and only work well for activities involving stepping. On a bicycle, your torso doesn't move so the Fitbit doesn't record much activity.
  • phock
    Options

So far:

Ill-informed?

Fitbit devices measure movement and only work well for activities involving stepping. On a bicycle, your torso doesn't move so the Fitbit doesn't record much activity.

Yet, Ironically, BodyMedia picks up my activity - even when it was a cold, wet ride of 4 hours. Interesting.
  • jonnythan
    Options

So far:

Ill-informed?

Yet, Ironically, BodyMedia picks up my activity - even when it was a cold, wet ride of 4 hours. Interesting.

I am curious what data it used to compute that, since the device would have measured next to no movement on your arm.

How long was your bike ride?
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Link and I love it! Very accurate. I dont like the armband because if you wear it long enough it leaves an indentation in your muscle that takes a while to go away, and it screams "I'M ON A DIET!" I have since learned to wear it on the inside of my bra strap under my arm next to my rib cage and it does just fine there. No one knows I am wearing it, no indentaion and I still get my info. The only time I use the armband is when I sleep. It is a great device to keep you on track and gives great insights.
  • phock
    Options
    Yesterday's was 4 hours. I ride anywhere from 30 minutes to up over 6 hours.
  • phock
    Options
    Yesterday's was 4 hours. I ride anywhere from 30 minutes to up over 6 hours.

I am picking June because Ohio sorta had a cool July.

June 28, I rode 6 hours, 12 minutes. Fairly low intensity ride, started the ride at roughly 1:30 so I was training in the heat of the day. Garmin had my calories at 2807. Body Media had my calories (going in and zeroing in on the time of my workout): 3457 calories.

June 18, 1 hour, easy ride: Garmin: 504 cal, BodyMedia 518
  • phock
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Link and I love it! Very accurate. I dont like the armband because if you wear it long enough it leaves an indentation in your muscle that takes a while to go away, and it screams "I'M ON A DIET!" I have since learned to wear it on the inside of my bra strap under my arm next to my rib cage and it does just fine there. No one knows I am wearing it, no indentaion and I still get my info. The only time I use the armband is when I sleep. It is a great device to keep you on track and gives great insights.

I love the fact it knows when I am just lying down, and when I am actually asleep. No tapping, no interaction from me. It even logs if I have a nap during the day!

I like the idea of the fitbit flex. It's small, can shower with it, doesn't scream diet lol. People around me just assume the BodyMedia is another HRM since we all wear them. That's why I am putting it through the paces versus what I currently use...