Ravenous!!

Options
That would describe me this weekend! Typically I'm pretty good but I have no idea why I'm so unsatisfied with anything I eat over the last few days. It's only 1pm and I have already used up all my calories for the day. And, I really need to take an exercise break today (even though I know I can easily bank a few extra calories this way); I have exercised every other day this week.

Anyone have ideas on how to break the ravenous spell once it takes over??

Replies

• jalovec
    jalovec Posts: 62
    Options
    My favorite low cal hunger busters are chicken (or vegetable) broth, and green tea. Also, fibre can fill you up- a drink of metamucil? Good luck!
  • wildfiona
    Options
    best way to beat hunger pangs is by eating protien. Carbs make you hungry faster and make you crave more carbs..
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You could be in the wrong time of the month (TOM), and you are craving more food, specially carbs. I agree with the other posts, get lots of liquids and some light protein. Sugar free jello is also a good substitute for sweets.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Research some foods that you would like that are high in protein and fibre and make sure to have some for each meal and snack. When you start to work out (weight training in particular for me) it makes you hungrier.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I would have those times along my weight loss journey and what I found was that my body was telling me to EAT (so I would eat more protein at those times) and I typically experienced a weight LOSS after such periods, even though I did eat over my calorie quota for the day. I believe if you are ravenous and are eating healthy, then your body is communicating with you. Protein worked best for me. (lean baked chicken seasoned well with olive oil and rosemary and garlic or a boiled egg, etc...). Listen to your body, but don't feed it junk. Drink lots of water and green tea too.
  • bethpeterson
    bethpeterson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As far as today goes, I would recommend soups and salad to get through the rest of today. Also if you have time for exercise, that would give you some cushion to eat a little more for the rest of today.

Maybe you need to spend a little time looking at where your calories are going lately... Have you been eating more carbs? Are you eating some foods that are different than you normally do? Have you been drinking enough water?

I micromanage my calories. I divide my daily total into 4 sections, and I use that as my guide for meals & snacks... For example, if your goal is 1200, then an even balance is 300/meal with an additional 300 available for snacks through the day.

Good luck!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi! thanks everyone. Since there were a few votes for green tea, I just made some. Although I didn't really like the taste (I'm more of a strong coffee person....), it seems to be filling me up. What is it about green tea that is good for that?

I guess I'll just be over today but with healthy foods: protein and salad for dinner, go to bed early and cross my fingers I wake up more normal tomorrow. I think it probably is getting to the wrong TOM, so the body is wanting more more more....

Any additional remedies are welcome! thanks again!