Transitioning outdoor running to indoors

Options
Since July I have been running outside multiple times a week. Sadly my time with the sun is fading as the days get shorter. I get home between 6 and 6:30 depending on the week. After caring for my animals and having dinner myself and preparing to go out running, it is already nearing 8 PM... and the sun is already very low - it will be pitch dark by the end of my run. And I know as the days pass the sun will soon be gone before I even get off work.

I've gone out running in the dark a lot, but I don't really like it. I live in a super safe neighborhood, but it makes me feel uneasy.

I've run on the treadmill a few times, I don't like it. But if I want to keep running and I don't want to run in the dark, I must now run on the treadmill.

Any tips on what speed/incline to use to mimic outdoor running?

Replies

• Seaduck79
    Seaduck79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It depends on your speed. The need to incline is based on compensating for no wind resistance, so if you're faster than 8 minutes/mile, 1% is about right, from what I've read. If you're just a slow jogger, you probably don't need to worry about it.

I am about 8m/m in my running, and I find that I run a little faster outside, even though I don't add the incline while on the treadmill.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Last winter I ran on the treadmill all the time and it wasn't bad...but now that I've been running outside all summer I'm having trouble getting back into the swing of it. It feels like a mile takes SO much longer on the TM. I think it'll just take time getting used to it again though.

I always set the TM at an incline of at least 1% to try and account for the difference between being outside.

One other thing I do to make the time go quicker is intervals. If your TM shows laps (like on a track - 1/4 mile), I'll go semi-fast for a lap, then slow down to a slow jog and recover for a lap, then fast again, slow again etc. It's just a little something to pass the time!
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Wear a reflective vest and run with a dog! Before I got my dog, I borrowed one from a friend a few times a week. It was win-win. He was lazy and never exercised her so bonus for him, and I felt safer plus had nice company, double bonus for me!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Run with a friend! See if there is a running group in your area and work out some times to join them for runs. It's so much more fun and motivating to run with a group.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I run at 5am and for a little while I went out with my flashlight but it's getting COLD. So I too am moving indoors. I LOVED running on the treadmill when I ran in my 20's (forever ago) but this time I started outside and moving inside has proved difficult. My treadmill has ifit so I can set it to go up and down while I'm running. The main thing for me is music, sometimes TV...anything to distract me! And fans! It sure it hot inside! Can't wait to see everyone's advice!
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    During the winter I make a huge effort to get in at least 2 to 3 runs outside. (2 days off & 1 later start for work a week) Then I'll throw in 2 or 3 runs on the treadmill. I keep a minimum 2% incline, alternating speed and incline throughout the run to try to keep it interesting.