High Cholesterol (High LDL/Total)

Options
I have a general question for all that have a cholesterol problem. ON your food dairy when you log your foods do you monitor your sat fats/cholesterol or how has my fitness pal helped you monitor that. my cholesterol is slightly high and I am going to see my physician but just wondering if my fitness pal have helped you in any way as far as monitoring what you eat. Thanks.

Replies

• shellyae
    shellyae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I've used MyFitness Pal to specifically track fats and cholesterol, but I can tell you that my cholersterol levels dropped when I started eating better - adding more vegetables to my diet - and exercising regularly. My levels also went back up when I fell off the wagon for a little while. That being said, I think this site would be a good tool to track what you're eating and how much exercise you're getting to see how it affects your cholesterol numbers.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding . I am going to do just that. I have to eat better without a question.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I had high cholesterol (now normal). I didn't/don't watch my dieatry cholesterol...it has little impact on blood serum and levels of LDL cholesterol...in fact, most studies indicate that if anything, it slightly elevates HDL. There are certain sensitivities for which this isn't the case, but these are rare. On average I consume a good 600 - 800 mg of cholesterol daily.

I did/do monitor my saturated animal fats...I don't try to go super low or anything, I just try to keep them around 20-25 grams or so. I used to be more in the 35 - 40 gram range before changing my eating habits. I don't have nearly as much dairy these days and keep my consumption of red meat to 2-3 times per week...vs 2-3 times per day before. I also eat a lot more salmon and other fatty fish than I used to...and more chicken and lean cuts of pork.

I think the biggest thing for me though was a substantial increase in my roughage intake and exercise. I think getting my 4-6 servings of veg and 2-3 servings of fruit along with regular, daily exercise has solved about 95% of my issues.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm another who doesn't track cholesterol intake. i don't believe (for me) that dietary cholesterol has much impact on srum cholesterol. I track fat to make sure I'm getting enough, but don't track saturated v. mono/pufa either, although I do try to avoid PUFA's and trans-fats. I did slash carbohydrate intake, now get 3-7 servings of non-starchy veg per day, added fish oil and drastically increased exercise.

beginning lipid panel - 12/27/11 --> last lipid panel 8/22/13
    cholesterol - 207 --> 162
    HDL - 37 --> 57
    LDL - 136 --> 93
    triglycerides - 169 --> 62
  • beaches222
    Options
    Oh thank you so much guys . All your responses are so much appreciated and so helpful.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the others in that I am not terribly concerned about dietary cholesterol affecting my slight high serum cholesterol (now within normal range.). From my experience and what I've seen in friends and family, the greatest factors in reducing cholesterol are losing weight, increasing exercise, and increasing vegetable consumption.
  • beaches222
    Options
    Wow you have such an improvement. I really hope this will happen for me.
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump, the doctor just told my mom she had high cholesterol and so I am coming back to sift through for any advice on how to help her lower it.