NROL4W is Complicated, Damn..

Options
So there's no doubt that it is a great book for the information it provides women on diet and building muscle, but the program itself is really complicated...

I was thinking about suggesting his book to a few of my women friends, and I might still for the background information it provides on fitness and muscle gain for women, but why do you girls like the actual program?

Why not use a simpler strength program with 4 or 5 lifts, instead of, and I quote the "Reverse Lunge with Twist and Overhead Reach"?

Replies

• glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Because it works and it is fun:)...it really isn't that complicated if you just look at one stage at a time. The first stage you learn basic lifts, the subsequent stages are just modified versions of those lifts. I think people tend to get confused and overwhelmed when they look at all 6 stages at once and wonder how they are going to learn all those exercises. I like it because it is progressive, uses a lot of compound moves so you don't have to spend hours in the gym, and changes your routine every month or so so your body doesn't get used to the same routine. I am also the type of person who gets bored doing the same thing all the time so it is perfect for me. I can't recommend NROLFW enough:)
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I actually liked that it was complicated, because it forced me to do the research and learn how to do some of the exercises that I'd never heard of before. I joined the group here and on facebook (very active and informative group there if anybody is just starting out) and that gave me some accountability and motivation to keep up with the others in those groups.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I completely agree..it's complicated and can get pretty time consuming. When weight lifting was a huge priority for me, I didn't mind so much. But at the moment I'm really having to "work in" trips to the gym, and complex isn't cutting it
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I don't like the actual program. Neither the diet setup in it nor the actual strength training program. I bought my wife the book because the explanation of why everyone should train "heavy" when trying to reduce fat is wonderfully written, but then I had her go with SS for a beginner lifting program cause IMO that's what everyone should begin with.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have the book and like the information but after stage one it just overwhelms me. As a new lifter I thought there were too many different lifts to try to keep straight and I'd spend more time trying to figure out what the heck I was supposed to do than actually lifting. I haven't made it past stage two in any of the attempts I've made. I finally gave up and I'm a couple of weeks into Stronglifts. Just keeping track of three exercises a session is so much less intimidating for me as a newbie! Maybe I'll get bored later but for now simplicity is helpful.