Healthy and Frugal Slow Cooker Recipes

Options
Justifier
Justifier Posts: 336 Member
I'm moving into my new apartment tomorrow and my grandma bought me my first slow cooker! I'm so excited to start using it, I just don't know where to begin. I have a collection of Pinterest posts, but I was wondering what secrets the MFP community has to offer.

Here's a few of the things I've found to get the thread started:

Tips and Recipes for Make-Ahead Slow Cooker Meals
http://www.ringaroundtherosies.net/2012/02/freezer-cooking.html

No Boil Manicotti
http://momonamission.me/crock-pot-no-boil-manicotti/

Ten Skinny Crock Pot Recipes
http://blog.texasfitchicks.com/2011/12/10-skinny-crock-pot-recipes.html

Replies

• Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I also bought a slow cooker the other day and would also love to get some healthy recipes. Basically I have just made stews in it so far - I like using deboned and skinless chicken breasts, potatoes, carrots and maybe butternut. You can also use the same ingredients, but without the butternut and make a curry sauce for it in which it can cook. You can make really nice low-fat or even fat-free dishes with the slow cooker.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I like making hot beef for sandwiches and pulled pork. This website has some good suggestions:
    http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The best thing about a slow cooker is you don't need a recipe. Just throw in whatever sounds good to you and turn the thing on. Yesterday I threw in a beef roast (fat trimmed off), some baby red potatoes, carrots, water, and a can of condensed veggie beef soup. 6 hours later I had a pot of deliciousness.

Chicken? Throw in some frozen breasts, veggies, mango salsa. 4 hours later, Voila!

A couple cans of beans, some protein, tomato sauce, spices and you have chili.

A slow cooker has a million uses. Have fun with yours!
  • cwraney
    cwraney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    100 Days of Real Food site has alot of good stuff and this is one of my favorites and VERY AFFORDABLE! Once it is made you can do anything from wraps to chicken salad with it.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my slow cooker, SToast is right, you can throw in just about anything, forget about it for a few hours & have a delicious meal waiting for you. I use mine at least a couple of times a week in colder months & usually I prep everything the night before so its ready to just throw in and turn on in the morning before I leave for work. When I get home about 9-10hours later the house smells amazing & whatever is in there is super tender and very tasty. I don't tend to follow recipes for the slow cooker, I'll just make any dish that I would usually make on the stove or in the oven but do it in the slow cooker instead. Favourites are beef chilli & any kind of stews or casseroles or soups.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker pork chops (families favorite meal)

pork chops
    can of cream of mushroom soup
    1/4 cup of worcheshire sauce

cook on high 4 hour or low 6 hours,

serve over rice, very tender and delicious

In my crockpot i make yogurt, spaghetti sauce i use for spaghetti, lasagne, pizza etc. I also make beans for burritoes, tacos, taco soup, tex mex casserole, taquitos, etc. I make white chicken chili, apple butter, pumpkin butter, butternut bacon soup, cheddar and broccoli cheese soup, beef mushroom barley soup, sloppy joes, italian beef, pork loin, ribs, salisbury meatballs.

well just aobut anything can be made in a crockpot. i have the set it and forget it books but i do a lot of my own recipies.
  • littlelady62
    Options
    Bump
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    lean diced lamb, carrots, onions, green beans, knorr beef stock, large spoon of coleman's mint sauce....minted lamb.....amazing!
  • Justifier
    Options
    lean diced lamb, carrots, onions, green beans, knorr beef stock, large spoon of coleman's mint sauce....minted lamb.....amazing!

I've only had lamb in gyro form. This would be interesting to try. I will be living in a neighborhood with a lot of Halal markets and plenty of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern inspired food!
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have the recipe at home, but I've cooked a whole chicken in the slow-cooker before. Fall off the bone good. ;)
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    easy breesy

chicken
    large can of chicken broth
    pouch of lipton french onion soup

cook all day

feel free to add in celery, carrots and cabbage for the last hour of cooking for a side dish.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    For healthy, I always go to Skinnytaste.com - Gina's recipes always turn out great! I find it hard to go healthy AND frugal (ie, avoid the condensed cream soups and seasoning packets). I usually buy chicken in bulk and freeze 2 breasts per bag for whatever crock pot dish I'm making. Usually you can just shred the chicken at the end anyhow.

I found a great recipe last week for skinny chicken and dumplings. I left the dumplings out because I don't like soggy dough, but the base was delicious and very healthy.

Chilis are great in the crockpot, even simmering spaghetti sauce!
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have the recipe at home, but I've cooked a whole chicken in the slow-cooker before. Fall off the bone good. ;)

You can also put a chicken carcass in the slow cooker at bedtime with some water, cut up veggies (carrots, celery, onion) on low, strain it in the morning and have instant homemade stock. Couldn't be easier!
  • Justifier
    Options
    This isn't a slow cooker recipe, but it's similar, so I'll share.

Tonight I'm making "rice cooker chili." Cook the rice as normal. When the cooker switches to the "warm" setting, add tomatoes, beans, veggies, meat, etc. And mix together in rice cooker and let sit for a few minutes. Portion out and serve.
  • lmdou110
    Options
    Good Recipes....
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be blowing the dust off my slow cooker tonight!
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of favorites:

Mock swedish meatballs:
    1 large can cream of mushroom soup
    1 packet beefy onion soup mix
    1 bag frozen meatballs

let it go for the day on low (only has to get hot) and serve over mashed potatoes or prepared egg noodles-my kids love this recipe! you can even add in some sour cream if you want that slight tang :)

I made the pork loin in rootbeer for pulled pork sandwiches and my semi-picky son ate 5 of them (he's 13)..."best sandwich ever mom!!"
    Cooked a 4# loin in 2 liters of rootbeer on high 6 hours, drain the rootbeer off, pull the pork apart and add BBQ sauce, cook for another hour to get the BBQ flavor incorporated--was delicious! It had an essence of the rootbeer but didnt taste like rootbeer :)

I also made the creamy mexican chicken soup and it was a hit! Would be a great vegetarian soup without the chicken!

1 can corn
    1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
    1 can rotel
    2 chicken breasts - cooked and cut into bite sized pieces (I used leftover grilled chicken-yum)
    1 packet of Ranch dressing & seasoning powder
    1 block of cream cheese

put it all in the pot & let it go - stir well & eat...this is a new favorite of mine for sure:)
  • Justifier
    Options
    I have a couple of favorites:

Mock swedish meatballs:
    1 large can cream of mushroom soup
    1 packet beefy onion soup mix
    1 bag frozen meatballs

let it go for the day on low (only has to get hot) and serve over mashed potatoes or prepared egg noodles-my kids love this recipe! you can even add in some sour cream if you want that slight tang :)

I made the pork loin in rootbeer for pulled pork sandwiches and my semi-picky son ate 5 of them (he's 13)..."best sandwich ever mom!!"
    Cooked a 4# loin in 2 liters of rootbeer on high 6 hours, drain the rootbeer off, pull the pork apart and add BBQ sauce, cook for another hour to get the BBQ flavor incorporated--was delicious! It had an essence of the rootbeer but didnt taste like rootbeer :)

I also made the creamy mexican chicken soup and it was a hit! Would be a great vegetarian soup without the chicken!

1 can corn
    1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
    1 can rotel
    2 chicken breasts - cooked and cut into bite sized pieces (I used leftover grilled chicken-yum)
    1 packet of Ranch dressing & seasoning powder
    1 block of cream cheese

put it all in the pot & let it go - stir well & eat...this is a new favorite of mine for sure:)

These are all awesome! My slow cooker is small, so I may need to scale down the recipes. Does that mean I reduce the cooking time as well? I have never had a slow cooker before.