1500 calories energy problem.

I have been on 1500 calorie diet program since September 2012. I was 13st 7lbs but now 12st 4lbs. In the past few weeks I have felt my energy flat line. And have experienced minor ear and skin infections. And my recent blood test has shown my iron levels are down. I have been on holiday recently but have eaten carefully. And gone back to my 1500 calorie plan. I have a weigh in on Wednesday and will discuss this with my dietician. I just need to increase my energy and I am concerned. I am 5ft. And my goal weight is 9st 5lbs.

Replies

• What kind of foods do you eat to get 1500 calories? That can have a big impact. Go for quality foods and that should help a lot.
  • Kaitlyn811
    Kaitlyn811 Posts: 49 Member
    I've found chia seeds give me energy (: As well as drinking plenty of water.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    What kind of foods do you eat to get 1500 calories? That can have a big impact. Go for quality foods and that should help a lot.

This. What kinds of foods are you eating? Also, are you exercising as well? If you're exercising and eating 1500 calories, you may need to up your calories (if you're netting below 1200 calories).
  • luckeyfrog
    luckeyfrog Posts: 10 Member
    Iron has a lot to do with your energy, so it makes sense that if your iron levels are down, your energy is down! My mom takes iron supplements as recommended by her doctor and they help a lot. I would say to just hold on til Wednesday and see what your doctor says!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    I found the less calories you eat, the more you actually have to watch out that you hit all your nutrients. Good luck :-)
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 189 Member
    Multivitamin ? Iron pills?
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Multivitamin
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    If you have low iron levels that would explain the fatigue. You don't need more calories, you need more iron rich foods or a supplement.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Also - do you eat back your exercise calories? I went through a period of only eating some back and I got tired and worked out less = lose lose!

Also - if you're exercising - Carbs and protein within 30 mins of exercising if possible. Suggest recovery shakes for this. Makes a huge difference.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Low Iron causes fatigue...

But there could be a few reason's for this...

b12 related anemia which is where your body had difficulty absorbing the iron or due to other factors...

Talk to your doctor to find out why your iron is low then deal with it...you maybe need a supplement or b12 shots or other intervention (I needed other intervention with a specific bc option)

But really only your doctor and speak the why and what to do.