curvy women- working out woes

Options
I bet this thread has been done to death! I'm a petite, yet "curvy" person, and as much as I like running and strength training, my boobs and butt jiggle when I do, and I don't like it AT ALL. It makes me feel so self conscious even though I know no one's looking, and uncomfortable physically, as well.

Any suggestions? No, sports bras and yoga pants don't help :(

There was a tip somewhere that upping the incline level on a treadmill is just as efficient as running (not sure how credible). Thank you!

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The only real solution to this is to not be so self-conscious. I have DDs and I run and swim and do all sorts of things and if people look, they look. If they don't, they don't. I just do my thing.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If sports bras don't help, then you need a better sports bra quite simply. Shock Absorbers seem to to the business for me.

Compression legging/ running tights can help minimize any jiggle you get in your lower body.

Sorted

EDIT: I'm a slim curvy too. DD breasts and 40" around the hips.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way until I found the tata tamer from lululemon and compression shorts. Honestly it's freeing to be able to actually COMFORTABLY do the activities I want to do. Worth the bazillions of bucks I paid for the bra.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If sports bras don't help, then you need a better sports bra quite simply.

This. 100%.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    When I run I double up and wear two bras and that helps. As far as butt jiggle, I just sucked it up and after a while of running my butt stopped jiggling so much :) Good luck. I know how uncomfortable it is when your bits and pieces jiggle when working out. Oh and as for the incline, yes it works just as well as running in terms of calories burned. Just don't hold on when you are doing it :)
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I agree with a better bra and compression shorts/pants. My sports bra is a Moving Comfort. :smile:
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have to double up on the sports bras too... #bigboobproblems
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If sports bras don't help, then you need a better sports bra quite simply.

This. 100%.

yup. I have DDs and no problem running long distances with one good sports bra.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Try compression shorts. Two pairs if you need them.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    video would help.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Double bra'ing things down and compression tights/running skins.

It really does make a HUGE difference :smile:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    At your weight, I'm sure there isn't as much jiggle as you think, but a good sports bra and compression shorts will reduce what jiggle you have.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    video would help.

LOL
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! Totally feel you.

My solution was to find an all girls gym. I love it!
    I was just thinking this morning whilst jumping rope how self conscious I would be doing that surrounded by guys. My boobs were bouncing like CRAZY. Definitely feels good not getting glances at my boobs or butt when I bend down to pick up weights, too. (I was at a pretty douchy gym previously).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If sports bras don't help, then you need a better sports bra quite simply. Shock Absorbers seem to to the business for me.

Compression legging/ running tights can help minimize any jiggle you get in your lower body.

Sorted

EDIT: I'm a slim curvy too. DD breasts and 40" around the hips.

This!!

Someone mentioned the Tatatamer. I just bought my first one and Love love love it. I am also a fan of Moving Comfort (used to be my #1 recommendation until i bought the tatatatmer) someone else mentioned.
    On my last trip to the US I also bought two Champion bras, high impact, and also love them. They were on sale 60% off.

There are good bras out there. You just need to find one that you like. They can be pricey but its worth it. You should not need to double bra.

I also agree with the compression shorts. They can be worn under something else.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Baggy workout gear? I think my jogbra sorts my top out enough under a T or dance sweater, but I like wearing loose-fitting shorts on top of leggings for the bottom (or those harem pants that ballet dancers wear). Our yoga classes are co-ed, lol. Not a lot of jiggling in yoga, but you get some interesting views!

I like the co-ed classes, btw :D **ooogles the guys***
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you need to double-bra, it's not the correct bra for you.

There are many fantastic bras out there for the well-endowed. You may need to try on a few to find the one that works best for you. Don't be afraid to jump around in the changing room, to see if it's the right one.

I'm a fan of the Lululemon "ta ta tamer" because it goes on a like a normal bra.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I do regular bra + sports bra + compression top. I know, supposedly a great bra will do the job but, with the way my size has been changing, I don't want to invest in an expensive bra that won't do the job in a few months.

To deal with thigh jiggle I LOVE workout shorts/skirt combos. They probably have a name but I don't know what they are called. Basically, compression shorts built into a short skirt of the same material. This way my thighs are protected from chafing, plus held to reduce jiggle, then the skirt covers the area up so I don't feel like my legs are sausages lol.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest working out at home if you can but then I saw that you also feel uncomfortable.

I go with what everyone else has suggested, better sports bra & some compression tights. Good luck.
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am in the double bra club. As far as my butt goes.....maybe one day it won't jiggle so much!