Store bought snacks..Are they actually healthy?

Options
Being new to the diet and healthy eating makes it hard to make the right decisions.
I was grocery shopping and i needed some snacks to take to work. Something quick and healthy. So I grabbed Atkins bars, Nature Valley granola thins 90 calories and the Oreo thin crisp 100 calories .

I tired comparing to other snacks and seems like good choices. But I want your guys opinions . Are they as healthy ad they claim to be? What store snacks do you recommend?

Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• ravengal
    Options
    Usually not. It's better to just eat whole, unprocessed foods. The Nature Valley and Oreos are just snacks with little nutrition. On a typical work day, I will pack hummus, baby carrots, pecans, and a few bittersweet chocolate chips for a nutritious snack/meal.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    They aren't, but I eat them anyway.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    as long as they can fit into your cal goal and if it can help control being hungry that great. Dont over think it, hit your macros, stay at your cal goal and your good to go.
  • nour_a
    nour_a Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They aren't healthy food, but they are useful for portion control and when you are transitioning your diet from crap to wholesome. It is very hard to leave behind all your more processed foods for whole nutrition. I use these snacks to give me a taste of what I crave, but enough for me to say "ok, that tastes good" and I can leave it behind without longing for it afterwards. Eventually, I want to cut out these snacks from my diet but being in a transition phase - they help me stay on track (portion control) without wanting to binge on them... if that makes sense :)

good luck!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Usually not. It's better to just eat whole, unprocessed foods. The Nature Valley and Oreos are just snacks with little nutrition. On a typical work day, I will pack hummus, baby carrots, pecans, and a few bittersweet chocolate chips for a nutritious snack/meal.

this.

less processed foods and more natural as possible possible . Basically carbs (around 10-20g) with protein (5g) for 150-200 cal.
    What i usually eat on a daily basis: .
    morning snack around 10 am: 1 egg + fruit (what is in season summer: berries Winter: kiwi, oranges)

Afternoon snacks ( on my way back home):
    Bell peppers, zucchini, banana, grapes with cheese (light BabyBel for me) or nut (watch out only a handful otherwise it becomes a dinner portion!) . or greek yogourt with fruit
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    They aren't healthy food, but they are useful for portion control and when you are transitioning your diet from crap to wholesome. It is very hard to leave behind all your more processed foods for whole nutrition. I use these snacks to give me a taste of what I crave, but enough for me to say "ok, that tastes good" and I can leave it behind without longing for it afterwards. Eventually, I want to cut out these snacks from my diet but being in a transition phase - they help me stay on track (portion control) without wanting to binge on them... if that makes sense :)

true also. it can be helpful if you see it that way. Just to have a transition. Make sure to have portion control.