Gaining More Muscle than Intended

Options
So, I'm feeling slimmer, better, overall. Which is more than I would've said about a month ago. I've been going to the gym about 3-4-5 times a week (all depends on my school schedule). I know I've gotten stronger, especially in my legs.
However, I stepped on my boyfriend's scale this morning and saw that I was at 160lbs. I started at 150lbs about a month ago. I was shocked and yelled at my boyfriend about how he didn't tell me I wasn't losing weight at all and needed to stay focused.
"Fit girl problems, hun, you're gaining muscle. Muscle weighs a lot."

Is anyone else experiencing this? Or am i weird by freaking out at the number on the scale?

Replies

• diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Probably 1lb at best of that is muscle, the rest is probably water and fat.

Note: that most women will put can put on a maximum of 20-25lbs of muscle naturally in their lifetime.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to put on 10 lbs of muscle, especially if you are eating at a deficit. I'm not even sure that's possible to do in only a month. It's most likely water retention.

You said you are feeling slimmer and stronger. That matters way more than some number on a scale.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I think you're weird for yelling at your boyfriend because you gained weight, but that's neither here nor there.

Is this the same scale you always weigh on? Are you eating at a deficit/maintenance/surplus? How long have you been going to the gym and what kind of workouts do you do? Are your measurements going up or down?

I can pretty much guarantee you didn't put on 10lbs of muscle in a month, but that also doesn't necessarily mean you've put on 10lbs of all fat either. There's likely another explanation, like a combination of fat gain from increased eating and water retention or scale differentials.

Edited to add last sentence.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think you're weird for yelling at your boyfriend because you gained weight, but that's neither here nor there.

This. Also this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    What about measurements that are more meaningful than the scale like your waist, hips, chest, arms, legs.

As stated, unless you are using steroids, it is pretty much impossible for a woman, not to mention one eating at a calorie deficit assuming you are following your MFP calorie guidelines and measuring your portions carefully, to put on that much muscle. You could be holding water in your muscles to help them repair, or you could be eating more than you think you are. However, when it comes down to it, scales are really not that useful for measuring progress, not to mention no one knows what your weight is, all they see is your measurements.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If it's not the same scale you normally weigh on, then you're probably eating more than you think. I went through this five years ago after my husband and I joined a gym. I was working out regularly and feeling very fit. However, I was also eating and drinking too many calories to do myself any good. I ended up gaining weight. You can't out-exercise a bad diet.
  • paisleytulip
    Options
    I keep a rather healthy diet and am trying to be at a deficit. But I've been at the same calorie amount for a while and it just seemed that I was maintaining rather than losing.
    I use two scales to compare: mine at my house and my boyfriend's at his since I'm at both places intermittently.

It's just so shocking, I freaked, honestly.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What does the scale you normally weigh on say? Some scales are very inaccurate -- the one at my mother's house reads low and if I believed that scale, I would have come back to my place and been all 'OMG I GAINED TEN POUNDS IN A WEEK ROADTRIPPING HERE?!?!?!!?!?'
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    like others have said very little of that is muscle...a pound if you are lucky...its fat and water.
  • paisleytulip
    Options
    I've always thought that both scales were off. I bought a cheap one from Target and his has always been off even when I knew my weight.

For the sake of checking,
    My scale says I'm at 155lbs.

Still higher than I want, but lower than the one I was at on Saturday.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've always thought that both scales were off. I bought a cheap one from Target and his has always been off even when I knew my weight.

For the sake of checking,
    My scale says I'm at 155lbs.

Still higher than I want, but lower than the one I was at on Saturday.

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning on the SAME scale once a week. If you weigh yourself during the day you can fluctuate a few pounds and will most likely be higher.
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    Don't put all your trust in the scales. They'll wine you up. Its highly likely water retention
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    Sorry....even a male weightlifter cannot put on 10 lbs of solid lean muscle mass in one MONTH. Try maybe a year.

Source: http://scoobysworkshop.com/expectations/
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You've not gained muscle if you're on a calorie deficit... Not any significant amount. You are probably retaining water from working out so much and your weight will fluctuate due to hormones etc during the month.
    Take measurements and track them instead (you can add categories for measurements on the MFP site) and take photos. If you're feeling better, that's all you need!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Don't put all your trust in the scales. They'll wine you up. Its highly likely water retention

Paul is also correct :) Use measurements to track your progress as well.