Heart rate monitor suggestions

Options
I have the Polar H7 Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor and I have replaced it twice since purchasing it in August. I love that it connects directly to Endomondo and calculates accurate calories burned which then pushes those calories burned to MFP. The problem is that after 2-3 weeks it loses that ability to connect via bluetooth to my phone. My most recent replacement is only a week old and already having issues. So, I am looking for suggestions for a replacement. I want everything to work without having to manually input anything into Endomondo or MFP. Any suggestions????

Replies

• ragingmrs
    Options
    I have the "instant heart rate-heart rate monitor" app for my phone. It works very nicely. You just place your finger over the camera and it gets your heart rate. It may not be as convenient as one that sticks on your finger, but...:flowerforyou:
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Since you already have the iPhone knowledge and use the BT function, have you looked at swapping to a Wahoo blueHR monitor? same concept but a different manufacturer. I researched them a lot a few months ago when I thought I wanted one. I decided to hold off on the purchase but literally couldn't find a single bad review. And I'm an obsessive when I research products to buy.

Edit: Wahoo is also compatible with Endomondo, which was a selling point for me as I use that run tracker too
  • Echarde
    Options
    I must say the issue with Polar H7 HRM described by topic starter was a real surprise for me cos I considered it the one of the most reliable HRMs. All these BT Smart based HRMs with belts are all the same. The purchase of a good one is a matter of fortune only.

I did tons of research before buying one for my iPhone. Most of the issues with BT Smart based HRMs concern battery quality and you better be ready for this.
    I've already posted here about my way in choosing the proper one. I ordered Beets Blu HRM and it is still working good and pairs quickly and calculates calories accurately.
    Well, I checked now on Amazon and the price with a discount is very affordable.

RunBrew, it's strange cos I didn't consider Wahoo HR due to many complaints about customer service and about 40% of rather negative reviews on Amazon. Would be good if it's changed since then.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I realize that by continuing this buried thread, it seems like I'm a fanboy for Wahoo, but I'm not. I don't even own a HRM. Just some thoughts along the topic:
    I Don't trust Amazon for product reviews. Most people there are idiots. I mean literally uneducated mouth-breathers. I have, in the past, seen reviews where the reviewer gave only 3 stars because of something inane like 'the package was too hard to open'. At least one of the reviewers called it a 'piece of crap' and a 'waste of money' when it arrived with a mostly dead battery. Poor QC on Wahoo's part for sure, but in no way warrants a scathing review over a $2 battery.

FWIW, I agree there are a lot of complaints on Amazon about the HRM failing to pair with a phone, however I also noticed that a Wahoo company rep personally commented on each of the complaints and offered a direct email line to fix the issue. Because it's Amazon, I won't be the least bit surprised if at least a couple of those 'won't pair' complaints are trying to use an old Motorola RAZR or similar. Hah.

Read some of the reputable gear reviewers opinions, typically DCRainmaker has some solid reviews or professional gadget reviewers like Wired.com or Outside Magazine, who don't get indignant and get on an e-soapbox when there is the smallest glitch.

Lastly, When I do buy one, it'll be locally, so I can take it back instore and have a new one in 5 minutes should something go wrong. My Apple store carries the Wahoo Blue, and IIRC, one of the Garmins for the same price as Amazon, or RoadRunnerSports, or Runners Warehouse
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Since you already have the iPhone knowledge and use the BT function, have you looked at swapping to a Wahoo blueHR monitor? same concept but a different manufacturer. I researched them a lot a few months ago when I thought I wanted one. I decided to hold off on the purchase but literally couldn't find a single bad review. And I'm an obsessive when I research products to buy.

Edit: Wahoo is also compatible with Endomondo, which was a selling point for me as I use that run tracker too

this!

i love my wahoo blue hrm, works great, dont have to wear a watch just a strap and then connects wirelessly to the phone and not super expensive either! less than $100 :wink:
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late response but I rarely log in over the web and I forgot that I started a topic (wish the phone app had access to the boards). Thank you all for the responses. I think I will try the Wahoo as my 3rd Polar H7 HRM is shot and changing the battery does nothing.
  • amayitux
    amayitux Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar H7 Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor and I have replaced it twice since purchasing it in August. I love that it connects directly to Endomondo and calculates accurate calories burned which then pushes those calories burned to MFP. The problem is that after 2-3 weeks it loses that ability to connect via bluetooth to my phone. My most recent replacement is only a week old and already having issues. So, I am looking for suggestions for a replacement. I want everything to work without having to manually input anything into Endomondo or MFP. Any suggestions????

I don't own one, but according to these forums (I am researching to buy one) washing the strap helps. Just search over