WHAT A RUSH!!!!

Options
I am so happy to be able to share a success story because I haven't had one for a while. My journey over the past month has been a little frustrating and what happened tonight was well needed to push me back in the right direction.

I JOGGED!

I actually jogged an entire 1/2 mile!

This is something I can honestly say I've never achieved in my whole entire life. 1/2 mile would have been two times around the track at school and there's absolutely no way I had ever jogged around that thing twice without stopping.

But that is what I did tonight and I am ever so proud of myself. I went out for a 2 mile walk, a walk which is 1 mile there and 1 mile back. I walked the first 1/2 mile at an average pace to warm up and then the next 1/2 mile a little quicker. When I turned around I finally got the courage to try something new.

I have been wanting to try to jog for a few months now. I even bought a really heavy duty sports bra several months ago in hopes that I'd be putting it to good use. And I tried back then but I wasn't really doing it right. So I didn't last long, got discouraged and quit trying. My form was wrong and I wasn't going at a slow enough pace to really get the movements down and I was jogging on my tippy toes instead of my whole foot and I guess I just feared not being able to do it so I just quit trying at that point. That was a couple months ago. Since then I had been practicing keeping my heel down on the eliptical machine (which I also "rode" with an elevated heel) and it felt really weird, but I knew I needed to get it down. It sure worked different muscles!

So I thought it was a good time to see if I could jog with my heels down. It was dusk, not many houses around, nice sidewalk to try it out on. To my amazement, I did it! I had to go pretty slow to get the motion and feel for it. I feel like I'm stomping, but I know I will get used to it the more I do it. The street lights allowed me to see my shadow on the road and even though I felt weird, I didn't look weird. It looked cool! I was actually watching myself RUN!?!?! Okay, can't really call it a run because I doubt I was any faster than my speediest walking, but let's not get technical. And I kept going...one block....2 blocks.....3 blocks......holy cow, I actually was lasting....4 blocks.....5 blocks......oh my goodness, this is so weird, but awesome and oh my gosh who am I going to call and tell when I get home? .....6 blocks.....can I make it another? I'm going to try...and I kept going until I just couldn't and it was pretty much 1/2 way the way back home. What a rush! A huge sense of accomplishment was filling my head as I walked the rest of the way home, except one block that I jogged again. About 2 1/2 blocks away from home I thought I'd try to jog the rest of the way but only made it about one block. I feel pretty good right now. Thanks for reading my story.

Replies

• Levahna
    Levahna Posts: 132
    Options
    Yay!! Congratulations on a huge accomplishment!
  • stephqj
    stephqj Posts: 20
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • SashaSpells
    Options
    awesome job!
  • asteppaway
    asteppaway Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :smile: That's awesome! Keep it up if it, you could be running miles before you know it!
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options
    That's an amazing story!! Keep it up. And Congrats!!!
  • xoxosasha
    xoxosasha Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's a huge accomplishment! Congrats! :D
  • iamanne
    iamanne Posts: 67
    Options
    Great job!!!! Keep it up! If you keep going you will be jogging miles in no time. I jogged my first mile about a month ago and on Wednesday I jogged 4.3 miles!!! I do an average of 2.5-3 miles a day now and I am shocked that I can do it without feeling like I am going to die. :bigsmile: :happy:
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,629 Member
    Options
    That is terrific! Small steps lead to big success! Thank you for sharing!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    Whooohooooo!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Awesome Diane!!! Thank you for sharing!!! You are doing it girl!!!

Keep up the good work!!:flowerforyou:
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    What a great story! I'm so happy for you! There's nothing like the feeling of running. You did it!
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    :smile: Its things like this that keep me going , well done
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Great story! I can totally relate. I've never been a runner, but there is a little voice inside that keeps saying I "could" be maybe someday. I was out on a walk yesterday morning, going around the track at the local middle school. It brings back bad memories of my 7th grade gym class and having to run a mile every Friday. :tongue: God, I hated Fridays!!! Anyway, yesterday, as I'm walking, I thought to myself, "Why not try a jog?" So I jogged the straight-away and some of the curve for three of the four laps. And it felt great! Wow, who would have thought? YAY for us!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • mstarliper30
    Options
    Very motivating story! Thanks for sharing, and awesome job on your accomplishment!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Great story! I can totally relate. I've never been a runner, but there is a little voice inside that keeps saying I "could" be maybe someday. I was out on a walk yesterday morning, going around the track at the local middle school. It brings back bad memories of my 7th grade gym class and having to run a mile every Friday. :tongue: God, I hated Fridays!!! Anyway, yesterday, as I'm walking, I thought to myself, "Why not try a jog?" So I jogged the straight-away and some of the curve for three of the four laps. And it felt great! Wow, who would have thought? YAY for us!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:

And a great story yourself! Gym class sucked, especially running the mile. I was always one of the last to come in, if not the last. I always showed effort, I just didn't have any skill. I'm proud of you for trying a jog as well....and you did it!!! Congrats to YOU!
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    YAY! Isn't it th best feeling ever?!?!?! I am so excited for you and you know the best part is that it gets better!!! Keep it up you will love yit more and more I promise!!!!
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Wow you are very inspiring I'm kind of at this point myself as well. I really should get that courage up and try it off the treadmill! Way to go!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

My legs were so sore both Sat & Sun. I guess you really use a lot of different leg muscles when running vs walking because boy oh boy did I feel all sorts of new ones.
  • missmeliss
    missmeliss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    fantastic! i WILL start jogging soon. i will. thanks for the inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!