How do I eat on a cruise?

Options
Help me not gain back the 30lbs I have lost! I will have no internet, so no MFP. Not only that, but I am going to be on a cruise with buffets, 4 course meals, ice cream, unlimited soda... AND during Halloween which means candy, lots of candy!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Portion control and willpower. Just because there is an abundance of food doesn't mean you have to eat an abundance of food. Take small portions of things that look high calorie, fill your plate with lots of veggies, don't go back for seconds, stay out of the ice cream and candy, make use of the fitness facilities and enjoy the activities instead of just grazing the food and drinks.

I've never been on a cruise but I've never heard anyone say they were force fed while on one so I'm assuming you get to make the food choices yourself.
  • cariorliz
    cariorliz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    have a little bit...but not too much...and take the stairs...walk around all the decks...and ENJOY YOURSELF!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You wont gain back 30 lbs during a cruise. Just go and enjoy yourself.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise in April and ate everything I wanted....including 2 appetizers and sometimes 2 desserts at dinner....big breakfasts including chocolate milk and juice (which I never do), a big lunch, an alcoholic drink a day plus sometimes a glass of wine, lemonade or two a day, dessert with lunch...and gained 7 pounds. I also drank a lot of water and tried to walk around...I had good intentions of using the gym and the walking track (did that twice but it was too hot for me). It took me 3-4 weeks to lose the weight. Honestly, unless you go on vacation often, it is a treat, relax and enjoy yourself. I tried not to overeat and stuff myself but I ate a lot since food was always available....we sometimes took a plate of dessert back to our cabin and put it in the fridge for an afternoon snack. I would go on another cruise in a heartbeat and I would eat the same!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    You wont gain back 30 lbs during a cruise. Just go and enjoy yourself.

THIS!
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    have a little bit...but not too much...and take the stairs...walk around all the decks...and ENJOY YOURSELF!
    ^^This. And The fitness centers are really nice! We cruised in August on The Carnival Pride we worked out every morning before breakfast! Enjoy!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    enjoy yourself! If you are worried just take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk around the upper decks, don't always go for the breads/desserts. But on top of everything you need to just treat yourself.
  • ladyraiah
    ladyraiah Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would try to stick with foods that you don't get all the time. Ice cream? Yeah you can have that any time. Lobster with drawn butter though? Maybe not. Otherwise, get involved with all the activities, walk around, use the gym, but mostly enjoy yourself and not worry too much.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Have fun with other things than just food.

Also you may be used to eating smaller portions, just keep on eating like you do at home. I'm sure you will find similar food or maybe even better! Because it will be already cooked for you :)

I would say if you really want something indulgent, make it really worth it - dont waste your time on something meh, but something really fabulous and savor it. Dont deprive yourself, enjoy something that you really really want. Enjoy it, and then when you come back home, just get back on the MFP horse.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The food on the ship will probable have more sodium than you are use to. With all the time and money spent planning for the trip, don't come home wishing you had done more. Eat what you want. After dieting, you probably cannot eat the amounts you did in the past. When you come home, work off what you gained and remember the good times you had gaining the weight. So many people gain weight binge eating alone in the middle of the night, and they are depressed by what they did. You have the advantage that you will have happy memories of how you gained the weight. Go for it!

Eating desserts is not my thing. I could diet after a cruise of lobster with drawn butter and smile through it with no problem. That is my favorite!
  • bbzgrl110
    bbzgrl110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I go on cruises every year and I know that food is EVERYWHERE!!!
    I have had this fear myself but then I realize that this is my vacation and I'm going to enjoy myself and not over obsess about everything I am putting in to my mouth. On top of that if you are going on any excursions or into any of the ports there is going to be plenty of walking to do so that will help. I'm not saying go all out and eat each meal like it's your last, you can even keep a written log of what you eat just to try and keep yourself in check. It's likely that there will be weight gain while on a cruise, but the most I've ever gained was 5 pounds, and I was able to get that back off within a couple of weeks post cruise.

Have a great time!!!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy, remember how far you've come and just because a dessert bar is in your face doesn't mean you have to indulge...and bring your workout clothes! Our cruise had a nice fitness center!
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I go on atleast one cruise a year and have never gained weight....I do NOT drink ANY soda(its extra $$ anyway) and always take the steps....I walked a TON more on the cruise then I ever would at home..i also limit myself to one dessert a day and try to make it sugar free and also try to avoid carbs...for me the more carbs I have the more I crave...so that is a way of life for me....portion control or if you cant control it, don't start eating it....there is a TON of healthy food on the menu...stick to that....unlimited salad...steaks...etc...hike up the protein to curb the hunger as well...for b-fast I remember eating 4 egg omelets with tons of veggies....I was full for hours....just my 2 cents:)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I can help!! I've been on 8 cruises to date!! its hard!! the most I've ever gained was 6lbs, that was the last cruise and I should have known better!! it was ALL THE BREADS!!! very hard to resist and they fair rack up the calories!! so no. 1 - resist bread.

no. 2 resist the buffet!! make good choices and then no going back for seconds. You wont starve lol

no. 3 for your main meal at night enjoy the 4 courses as they are small in size but rich in calories. Don't go for seconds no matter how much the waiter tells you that you should really try this or that! :)

Ok so these could mount up!! but those are the main ones.
    I don't drink alcohol so I can't advise on that.
    Drink plenty of water and KEEP ACTIVE as much as possible. Walk around the deck, there are 1 mile walking tracks, do a few laps. Go swimming. Go to the gym even. Just move about as much as possible.

But above all, ENJOY YOURSELF. Even if you feel you are indulging just enjoy it and be aware of how much you're eating.

Then when its all over its back to tracking.

have fun :)

ps I don't drink soda either.
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    We go on cruises regularly - our last one was for 5 weeks. During that time I only put on about 3 lbs because I ate mainly in the dining room where the food is portion controlled. I avoided the buffet for most of the time because I know I over-eat when confronted with so many choices. You know - can't decide which dessert to have - so I take several. I'd be too embarrassed to do that in the dining room when ordering with the waiter.
    We also find that during our "on shore" days we have a big breakfast and just buy a drink or an ice cream while we spend the day walking and exploring. And of course we take the essential bottles of water.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I cruised during Thanksgiving last year and there was even more food. With that said, my mindset was to make sure I worked out for those 9 days and not overdue it.

You can have some goodies within reason and make sure you add some physical activity to stay on track.

Hope you have a wonderful time.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I went on a Carnival cruise in the spring. I ate fruit and eggs for breakfast, hit up the salad bar at lunch and enjoyed dinner with my mom and sisters.

I also exercised every day and walked a ton.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Use a knife, fork, and your head.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Use a knife, fork, and your head.

you stole what i was going to say!!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I packed on 8 pounds after my Thanksgiving 5 day cruise. I lost it by the New Year. It's just a thing... "life." This is a life time deal and never give up. Enjoy your cruise and have fun. Don't drink your calories unless there is alchol in it !:drinker: