Anone with PCOS???

Options
Recently i have been diagnosed with PCOS .i am 29, unmarried girl with a height of 5'6'' and weight of 137pounds.. my doctor wants me to shed aroung 14-15lbs...and despite of trying hard and balance diet i am unable to lose even a single pound in a month. what should i do now? Now today my doctor had given me glucophage and said it would regulate my insulin level and i would be able to shed extra weight.

who else is facing same problem???

Replies

• charish_doty
    charish_doty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I am extremely overweight. I am only 5 ft and weigh almost 200lbs. I was put on several medications over a year ago with strict diet and exercise and in a 3 months time I was only able to lose 10lbs. However when I was pregnant with my daughter I tried the same diet and lifestyle. After having her (she was over 10lbs) and it was all said and done with I was almost 30lbs less than before i got pregnant. They said that when your pregnant your body balances the way a normal persons would. I saw how much easier it is to lose weight without the disease during that time. That being said. It is not impossible. I have a friend who has lost well over 60lbs with strict diet and exercise. I am told the key is a low carb diet. Thats what I have just started trying to do. I mean just started. Low carbs and low sugar to help maintain a level insulin level. Not sure if I helped just know you are not alone.
  • ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    you know i am afraid with the side effects if glucophage..have read in a group about horrible side effects people have to face while using these tablets.....Hope i would be able to shed these extra pounds on me ...though my weight is in normal range but my doc wants me to shed around 14-15lbs :(

hope i would be successful with it. Can you share your low card diet chart with m?
  • clhandwerk
    clhandwerk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey there, i too have been diagnosed with pcos. My husband and i have been trying to have kids for two years now, and i have gone thru IUI treatments and taken clomid with nothing. so now im going thru trying to loose weight. When i was looking for info on pcos i found this webiste called insulite health pcos- https://www.facebook.com/pcosinsulite and http://pcos.com/index.php?cmp=11

They really helped me out. now they do have vitimins that you can buy to help out. I have not gone to that point yet because i know i need to loose weight before i try to get pregnant. But they have other helpfull info on there as well. One thing i listened to was a webinar that an author did, her name is katie humphries, the book is called Freedom from PCOS.
    One think you can take away is when you have PCOS your eating habbits are different from those that do not have pcos. For example you have to be very careful with carbs. Even if a group like weight watchers allows you a certian amount of carbs every day, not all carbs are created equal. You have to find out the glycemic index of the food your eating. You have to try to make sure the foods are low in GI. Thats one of the biggest things you can do. Heres a link to some low GI foods: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

I suggest looking at those sites and read up as much as you can about PCOS and low GI foods. on the insulite website you can sign up for weekly tips by email. this has been awesome! get short little articles that give you tips and helpful info about PCOS.
    Hopefully that info will help you out. Good luck and feel free to add me if you want too! :)
  • michellechawner
    Options
    being 5'6 and 137 isn't bad at all...

While i do not have PCOS, I am 5'5, and 125, also single and no kids, but i'm not sure if that will help you - i'm not sure what 15 pounds difference will make for you, i'm just confused as to why the doctor said to lose that much, when you aren't even overweight to begin with.
  • Bearbo25
    Bearbo25 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed around 5 years ago. I have gone through periods where I have packed on as much as 30 lbs in an 8 month time frame and that was while restricting calories and exercising. I am learning more about carbs and the lifestyle that will benefit me. I ha been on bc pills for years except when I had both of my kids and it has helped but with some high blood pressure issues since having my 2nd child last year my gyno doesn't want me on them. So far this sit has helped a ton with me monitoring calorie intake and exercise. I have lost 20lbs since July 25th.
  • ntatbeeq
    Options
    being 5'6 and 137 isn't bad at all...

While i do not have PCOS, I am 5'5, and 125, also single and no kids, but i'm not sure if that will help you - i'm not sure what 15 pounds difference will make for you, i'm just confused as to why the doctor said to lose that much, when you aren't even overweight to begin with.

My doc told me as lower weight would i have, would be better to get rid of PCOs quickly...............Have read many posts and articles about it and everybpdy was repeating same thing "lower your weight, shed some kgs" etc etc so lets see what happens :)
  • ntatbeeq
    Options
    I was diagnosed around 5 years ago. I have gone through periods where I have packed on as much as 30 lbs in an 8 month time frame and that was while restricting calories and exercising. I am learning more about carbs and the lifestyle that will benefit me. I ha been on bc pills for years except when I had both of my kids and it has helped but with some high blood pressure issues since having my 2nd child last year my gyno doesn't want me on them. So far this sit has helped a ton with me monitoring calorie intake and exercise. I have lost 20lbs since July 25th.

But Bearbo my problem is despite of trying everything, low calories/high calories, exercising for 5days a week for 45 mins i am loosing nothing :(

now thinking seriously to avoid carbs.but am afraid everything has carbs to some level either bread or some cereals :(
  • ntatbeeq
    Options
    Hey there, i too have been diagnosed with pcos. My husband and i have been trying to have kids for two years now, and i have gone thru IUI treatments and taken clomid with nothing. so now im going thru trying to loose weight. When i was looking for info on pcos i found this webiste called insulite health pcos- https://www.facebook.com/pcosinsulite and http://pcos.com/index.php?cmp=11

They really helped me out. now they do have vitimins that you can buy to help out. I have not gone to that point yet because i know i need to loose weight before i try to get pregnant. But they have other helpfull info on there as well. One thing i listened to was a webinar that an author did, her name is katie humphries, the book is called Freedom from PCOS.
    One think you can take away is when you have PCOS your eating habbits are different from those that do not have pcos. For example you have to be very careful with carbs. Even if a group like weight watchers allows you a certian amount of carbs every day, not all carbs are created equal. You have to find out the glycemic index of the food your eating. You have to try to make sure the foods are low in GI. Thats one of the biggest things you can do. Heres a link to some low GI foods: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

I suggest looking at those sites and read up as much as you can about PCOS and low GI foods. on the insulite website you can sign up for weekly tips by email. this has been awesome! get short little articles that give you tips and helpful info about PCOS.
    Hopefully that info will help you out. Good luck and feel free to add me if you want too! :)

Thanks Dear....but the first link is not opening and it says "page has been removed" but second link is really so great :)
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options

My doc told me as lower weight would i have, would be better to get rid of PCOs quickly...............Have read many posts and articles about it and everybpdy was repeating same thing "lower your weight, shed some kgs" etc etc so lets see what happens :)

I think you should change doctors hun because you can't "get rid of" PCOS AT ALL let alone quickly. I've had since I was about 15 so for almost 11 years now. It's really difficult to lose weight when you have PCOS but as long as you eat at a deficit and work out (even if you just walk for half an hour every day) you should find the pounds start to shed. Also, because you are not overweight to start with it will be more difficult for you to lose weight because your body doesn't need to. x
  • ntatbeeq
    Options

I think you should change doctors hun because you can't "get rid of" PCOS AT ALL let alone quickly. I've had since I was about 15 so for almost 11 years now. It's really difficult to lose weight when you have PCOS but as long as you eat at a deficit and work out (even if you just walk for half an hour every day) you should find the pounds start to shed. Also, because you are not overweight to start with it will be more difficult for you to lose weight because your body doesn't need to. x

It means you are still on medication for PCOs???
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS.

Im 24, was diagnosed around 7 years ago! I've managed to lose over 50lbs, by counting calories only! (Very little exercise!)

It can be done, it's hard, but you can do it!! :-)
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I agree with the low carb method. It is hard to lose weight w/ PCOS w/out dropping the carbs and I am certainly not always consistent with it. There is a low carb group on here, you can get ideas for meals there.
    Don't get discouraged about not losing immediately, PCOS is a real b*tch and sometimes you will feel like you are plugging away for nothing. Then reading all the it's calories in/calories out comments just makes me want to gag. You must control your insulin resistance, which goes hand in hand w/ PCOS.
    I took the glucophage for several years and I have a finicky digestive system, but I still got used to it. I didn't see a huge difference in weight, but for some it really helps.
    Perhaps your doctor meant CONTROL your PCOS, I don't think you can get rid of it.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I agree with the low carb method. It is hard to lose weight w/ PCOS w/out dropping the carbs and I am certainly not always consistent with it. There is a low carb group on here, you can get ideas for meals there.
    Don't get discouraged about not losing immediately, PCOS is a real b*tch and sometimes you will feel like you are plugging away for nothing. Then reading all the it's calories in/calories out comments just makes me want to gag. You must control your insulin resistance, which goes hand in hand w/ PCOS.
    I took the glucophage for several years and I have a finicky digestive system, but I still got used to it. I didn't see a huge difference in weight, but for some it really helps.
    Perhaps your doctor meant CONTROL your PCOS, I don't think you can get rid of it.

I completely agree with you! Sometimes the forums on here just make me so angry!

OP: Low carb was the only way for me to lose weight at all. PCOS is like weight loss on hard mode! Even with low carb, weight loss can be slow, at least it was for me. I am not very far from a healthy weight, maybe 25 lbs or so but even losing 10% of my weight started making my symptoms go away. PCOS can't be cured! It is a life long thing. But many women can control it to the point where they don't need medication anymore. But really the only way to do that from what I have seen is to stay on a low carb/slow carb diet for the rest of your life. This is my goal! It is truly a struggle that you will have to fight everyday. There is no miracle day where everything is just gone unfortunately because as soon as you gain that 5 lbs back or whatever, the symptoms start coming back.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    No drug is going to make you lose weight, thought it may help your body process things differently. The key is still diet and exercise. Many people with PCOS find a low carb diet helps.

PCOS is not a crutch or an excuse to lose weight, there are many groups on here for PCOS and many women who have been successful in losing!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

It means you are still on medication for PCOs???

As my doctor told me, the symptoms I have of PCOS, belly fat, body hair, acne, will all get better as I get closer to a normal body weight. That's really the biggest issue, obesity actually causes many of the issues. I will always have it but the more weight I lose, the better it's going to be.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'm 46. I have most likely had it since my teens, but was diagnosed with it after the birth of my 5th child. I have been on metformin for 15 years and it helped give me the ability to lose weight. It hasn't been easy, though, and over the years I've learned to eat better.

I see a few ladies here mentioning low glycemic foods. They are correct in that, as I've found to be true for me! Beans, lentils, high fiber foods, high fiber bread and cereal, these foods all will help fill you up without causing cravings and help with any issues you might have with insulin resistance. I have my food diary set to track fiber for me and I have the fewest cravings when I manage to get in between 40 and 50 grams of fiber per day. That is a challenge!

I'll start my day with oatmeal that has fruits in it. This week it's Craisins, strawberries and pomegranates with 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa. I cook the oatmeal with the Craisins and cocoa in it, then add the berries and pomegranate arils last. If you like oatmeal, check out this amazing blogger and her oatmeal ideas; theoatmealartist.com.

Lunch is often last night's dinner, or a huge salad with very little dressing. Or, a salad with a sandwich. (no mayo) I use Oroweat's Healthfull bread, as it's 80 calories and 5 grams of fiber per slice.

Dinner usually has 2 vegetables, a starch of some kind and sometimes a meat, but usually if I serve meat, it's mixed in with the starch and vegetable in casserole or stir fry form.

I started my journey weighing 206lbs and now I'm 148lbs and still working on reaching my goal. I'm 5' 3.25" "tall."

If you really do want to shed the weight your doctor suggested, if you aren't already, start measuring and weighing your food to be as accurate as possible and see just how many calories you are taking in each day. The answer may surprise you. It did to me when I first started! I write down what is going into a meal when I'm making a casserole or stir fry or whatever I'm making, put that into a recipe on here, measure the entire dish, cup by cup, when it's done, then I can determine how many servings it should be and how much a serving amount is. That keeps me as accurate as possible when I'm cooking at home.

I second the opinion that PCOS does NOT go away. My doctor has told me that I will always have to be on metformin, even after menopause, because the condition doesn't go away, even though menstruation stops. It does take time to get used to taking the medicine, and if your doctor isn't doing it, I recommend talking about building up to the full dose in steps. I suffered from surprising intestinal issues at first with it. They were potentially embarrassing! But, it wasn't the end of the world and I now tolerate it just fine. I do recommend the extended release version for anyone who finds it difficult to get used to, though.
  • ntatbeeq
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'm 46. I have most likely had it since my teens, but was diagnosed with it after the birth of my 5th child. I have been on metformin for 15 years and it helped give me the ability to lose weight. It hasn't been easy, though, and over the years I've learned to eat better.

I see a few ladies here mentioning low glycemic foods. They are correct in that, as I've found to be true for me! Beans, lentils, high fiber foods, high fiber bread and cereal, these foods all will help fill you up without causing cravings and help with any issues you might have with insulin resistance. I have my food diary set to track fiber for me and I have the fewest cravings when I manage to get in between 40 and 50 grams of fiber per day. That is a challenge!

I'll start my day with oatmeal that has fruits in it. This week it's Craisins, strawberries and pomegranates with 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa. I cook the oatmeal with the Craisins and cocoa in it, then add the berries and pomegranate arils last. If you like oatmeal, check out this amazing blogger and her oatmeal ideas; theoatmealartist.com.

Lunch is often last night's dinner, or a huge salad with very little dressing. Or, a salad with a sandwich. (no mayo) I use Oroweat's Healthfull bread, as it's 80 calories and 5 grams of fiber per slice.

Dinner usually has 2 vegetables, a starch of some kind and sometimes a meat, but usually if I serve meat, it's mixed in with the starch and vegetable in casserole or stir fry form.

I started my journey weighing 206lbs and now I'm 148lbs and still working on reaching my goal. I'm 5' 3.25" "tall."

If you really do want to shed the weight your doctor suggested, if you aren't already, start measuring and weighing your food to be as accurate as possible and see just how many calories you are taking in each day. The answer may surprise you. It did to me when I first started! I write down what is going into a meal when I'm making a casserole or stir fry or whatever I'm making, put that into a recipe on here, measure the entire dish, cup by cup, when it's done, then I can determine how many servings it should be and how much a serving amount is. That keeps me as accurate as possible when I'm cooking at home.

I second the opinion that PCOS does NOT go away. My doctor has told me that I will always have to be on metformin, even after menopause, because the condition doesn't go away, even though menstruation stops. It does take time to get used to taking the medicine, and if your doctor isn't doing it, I recommend talking about building up to the full dose in steps. I suffered from surprising intestinal issues at first with it. They were potentially embarrassing! But, it wasn't the end of the world and I now tolerate it just fine. I do recommend the extended release version for anyone who finds it difficult to get used to, though.

Hey Tina thanks for the website you'd mentioned of oatmeal idea...i just want to know do u add milk in your oatmeal or not? because i can;t eat oatmeal without milk :(
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    5'6 and 137lbs? wtf?

Is your doctor stupid?

I"m 5'7 and about 135lbs ( I think? ) if my doc told me to 'lose weight' I'd punch her in the face!

and yes I have PCOS - I'm 31.
  • ntatbeeq
    Options
    5'6 and 137lbs? wtf?

Is your doctor stupid?

I"m 5'7 and about 135lbs ( I think? ) if my doc told me to 'lose weight' I'd punch her in the face!

and yes I have PCOS - I'm 31.

Ya i knw my weight falls in normal range but she told me it should be aroung 121-123 lbs :(
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I manage to get in between 40 and 50 grams of fiber per day. That is a challenge!

I applaud you, that is a lot of fiber. When I first started Metformin, I was suffering from IBS, so I really can't say how much more it affected my digestive system as I was all messed up to begin with! I saw a specialist and the first thing he told me was to up that fiber! BTW- for anyone with IBS I beat mine with the help of probiotics and stress reduction. I tried super expensive ones to the cheap ones, the ones that finally worked for me were from GNC. I think everyone's gut flora are different and respond better to some over others. So perhaps take some probiotics with the Metformin to help settle everything down and keep your gut in good shape!

I stopped the Metformin years ago due to my liver enzymes being elevated. I don't think I lost much on it at all, but my nutrition wasn't the best, not crap, but still carb heavy. It did regulate my periods though. When I was off of it and started cutting carbs I lost weight and my periods continued regularly unless I gain or slack off on working out.

It seems like I lose weight in spurts. Three pounds will be gone in a day, then 2 will creep back, even if I eat right and work out. Then I work for a couple more weeks for a another loss. It's two steps forward, one step back, but I am still slowly getting there.