Overeating/ lack of self control

Options
So, I have issues with eating. I love food so much and I tend to overeat. I will tell myself just one cookie and then end up having 5. I don't know how to fix this. I guess I am a terrible self motivator, but does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• dino_morgan
    dino_morgan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    girl, I am in the same damn boat. I LOVE food. So I am also interested in finding a cure for this.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm a true food addict. And it's not emotional eating for me, there are no deep rooted issues I've yet to deal with in life, I just simply REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE the taste, texture and smell's of food! I dont have any tips except the obvious one (which is the ONLY one that works for me) and that is to just stay away at all cost. I have to examine food now and think to myself If I have to tell myself I'll only have 1 or 2 then I dont need it. Not easy to do let me tell ya, but its something I'm workin on. Good luck!!!!
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    sometimes chewing gum and drinking water can help. also removing the source of temptation (don't buy the cookies) can help.
    i find mine is often linked to boredom, so keeping busy is key.
  • stepxstep
    Options
    Me too. I'm so frustrated with myself and lack of control. Food is my drug. Eating too much of the wrong thing makes me feel so so good. (temporarily, of course) Once I've eaten a huge amount, I feel miserable and all I can think about is "why did I just eat THAT!?!?" But, that feeling eventually goes away, and I just repeat the cycle.

A lot of people find journaling helpful. I think I may try it and see if it helps.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    I excercise so that I can eat. I know that I have to change but it si very difficult for me. I love food, I love everything about it! so I am in the same boat!:drinker:
  • SandraBro03
    SandraBro03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing. I overeat to the point of feeling sick to my stomach. I think accountability works great. Maybe we can set up accountability partners to help when moments of weakness come up. Just let me know. Take care!!
  • nikki91950
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with ya'll :( food is my best friend but my worst enemy!
  • eunjumom
    Options
    How many times a day do you eat? I've slipped back into my bad habits because I stopped eating the recommended 6 meals a day. When I was eating that way I often felt I eat too much. But I was eating within my calories allotment. And I lost a good amount of weight. I still am losing but it's just slower.

I do tend to snack more if I'm bored or watching TV. Not having snacks in the house has helped me or I have just having healthy snacks has helped also. So if I eat more then I wanted at least it's healthy.

I tell myself if I feel hungry to eat food-food. A 300 calories snack is way smaller then a 300 calorie meal. I do love food and that's why I am not going to restrict myself in a diet. Not going to happen. Instead I control my portions and stay within my calorie limit.

Do you drink a protein shake? I found that helps with my hunger issues and just overall health.

Good luck :)
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself to have small amounts of the treats that you like. After you are done, brush your teeth (i.e. eat one cookie, then brush your teeth immediately). Think about it, when you brush your teeth at night before bed, do you ever want to "ruin" it and go eat? Your food just doesn't taste the same with fresh breath.
  • amykm
    amykm Posts: 1
    Options
    Try telling yourself this, "this is SO good, I can eat some now AND have some more tomorrow."
    While I will say this doesn't always work for me, it does most of the time. If I tell myself that I can eat 10 cookies NOW and CANNOT have any tomorrow because I will "get back on track" then I'm being very hard on myself, almost like a punishment. Instead I try to think that if I have one (or two) really good cookies right now and savor them, then tomorrow I can have another one and BE OKAY! :smile: Hope this helps!
  • Happyness123
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. So does everyone on my Dad's side of the family. We like to blame it on being Italian... but that doesn't stop us from eating a lot.