Any Trainers or heavy lifters?Please help!

Options
I've asked this question before but didn't get a response and I've searched it and couldn't find an answer so please... help! How long do you think it takes to notice a difference heavy lifting with a bowflex 5x a week?I've been lifting since last week in august and see some tighting in my legs but havn't lost a lb ,i've gained a few! I eat about 1500-1600 a day , good during the week then maybe one bad thing on the weekend:( I feel like i've tried everything,counting calories,no carb, low carb, low fat no fat,and nothing seems to work so I thought I would just start lifting, but no weight has come off how long does it take to see a difference ?Is the bowflex going to get me the results I need? I weigh 153 on a good day and am 5'3.I want to lost at least 25lbs.

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with a BowFlex, so I can't speak to that question.

But you will start noticing a difference in measurements WAY before you do in weight with heavy lifting. So take measurements, and go by that.

I do 4-5 days a week heavy lifting, and I am 5'2" and 140lbs. That sounds like a lot,but I have a 28" waist, and wear a size 4-6. When you lift, you have accept that you may not see the scale numbers move as drastically as you want. But you will be smaller, that is a for sure!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Lifting will have little impact on weight loss.

Use diet to control weight.
    Exercise for everything else.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Lifting will have little impact on weight loss.

Use diet to control weight.
    Exercise for everything else.

This.
  • mohojojo
    Options
    Your building muscle which in turn either makes the scale go up or stay the same. Muscle is heavier than fat. So you may look tighter and maybe fit into smaller clothes but the scale with say something different. Do less heavy lifting, proper eating, cardio if your goal is to see the numbers go down.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Your building muscle which in turn either makes the scale go up or stay the same. Muscle is heavier than fat. So you may look tighter and maybe fit into smaller clothes but the scale with say something different. Do less heavy lifting, proper eating, cardio if your goal is to see the numbers go down.

I pretty much disagree with this entire post.

OP has been lifting for a month. She hasn't put on enough muscle in that time to "mask" any legitimate weight loss. Also, weight loss can and does happen with lifting, same as it does with cardio. The type of exercise you chose to do has little to no bearing on weight loss. Whether or not you're in a calorie deficit does.
  • mohojojo
    Options
    OP is already in a calorie deficit. As far as muscle growth, it happens quickly for some and slower for others. Heavy lifting will promote muscle growth. Sorry that you disagree but op needs to do less of the heavy lifting.
    I will agree that the op should go by the clothing size over the scale numbers.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    no one "needs to do less of the heavy lifting."

OP needs to stop worrying about a number on a scale and start using measurements, clothes sizes, feelings of health and well-being, and visual confirmation of progress as metrics for success.

Trying to measure fitness with a scale is like trying to balance your checkbook with a scale. Sure, the device will give you a number, but it's irrelevant to the task at hand.
  • kattp07
    kattp07 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do eat at tdee -20% and lift heavy ? I ate at that for months and saw nothing happen thats why I started lifting?I thought that would help?
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The scale will go down regardless of the training you do as long as you eat in a calorie deficit.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I do eat at tdee -20% and lift heavy ? I ate at that for months and saw nothing happen thats why I started lifting?I thought that would help?

Cut cals by 10% and see what happens.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    OP is already in a calorie deficit. As far as muscle growth, it happens quickly for some and slower for others. Heavy lifting will promote muscle growth. Sorry that you disagree but op needs to do less of the heavy lifting.
    I will agree that the op should go by the clothing size over the scale numbers.

Muscle growth isn't going to happen in a deficit so you're arguing a point that is moot.

OP you should continue lifting heavy to maintain any muscle mass you have while in a deficit. Don't try to worry about gaining muscle just focus on not losing any right now.

As far as not losing weight is concerned, you are simply not in a calorie deficit. No one can tell you why, that's something you have to figure out. It's a mathematical error somewhere in your logging probably. Make sure you are accurately accounting for everything you eat. Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I took a peek at your diary....

you don't log consistently...4 days in a row and then the odd one here and there...

Days you are way over...then days you are way under

Some days pretty good at logging but Sodium is through the roof

and last but not least...2 servings of this, 1 cup of that...you are not using a scale are you...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

My suggestions...

Buy a kitchen scale, weigh everything and log it. Stay on goal (meaning no more 1000 calorie days or 2k calorie days) less sodium...do that for a 2-4 weeks and see what happens.

While still lifting
  • M_Jo
    M_Jo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Katt: Nice work on trying to up your lifting! Women that lift heavier weights will see more results. First order of business is chat with your healthcare professional about what you'd like to see. Make sure you are lifting using proper form and listen to your body.

I currently lift alternating muscle groups 4-5 times a week, cardio (running, interval, power incline, etc) 5 times a week and keep an eye on what I eat. I also supplement with Optimum Nutrition Casein after each session (I'm allergic to Whey), and take New You natural supplement from It Works! Global and have been seeing awesome results. However, I'm not perfect. I don't track every ounce of my food and I've been known to skip days at the gym. I don't log exact amounts on food simply because that makes me obsessed and I'm more into making this a happy lifestyle rather than a chore.

Do what makes you feel good. Visible results take time, but the energy you feel is nearly immediate. Most importantly, more than anything else you can do, is eat clean and right. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, good fats, protein. Cardio, lifting, rest, SLEEP. Repeat. :) You are on your way lady, keep it up!