McDonald's Ditches Soda In Happy Meal Menus

Options

Replies

• HippieChickadee
    Options
    thank you mcdonalds for parenting me again.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Well this will not work and will not last. As a parent we treat McDonalds and Happy meals as a treat or reward and part of the treat is having a soda. I'll give it a few weeks and people will be screaming or going somewhere else.

Meh, not necessarily. I think it depends on how old your children are. When I treat my kids to McDonalds, they get water with their Happy Meals anyway. They're also five.
    You can get pop with a happy meal? (That's right POP - I'm canadian)

My daughter wants milk with her meal, and doesn't like french fries,

I think it's great that she can get (and more importanty wants to eat) apple slices instead of french fries.

Plus they get a yogurt with their meal.

They can even get a grilled cheese instead of mcNuggets, which she doesn't like anyway

It depends on where you live. I'm currently stationed in Belgium and the Happy Meal comes with baby carrots and fries. Then you can choose as additional side like a smoothie or apple slices. The McFish (sans cheese and tartar sauce) is also a Happy Meal option.
  • paday
    paday Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "You can still order a soda with the Happy Meal, they are just changing what they offer that comes with it. If you want to get a soda with it.....order it. People get all worked up over nothing......"

I agree with TripleJ3. The point of this is to try to get kids excited about eating healthier options. It's sort of the same reason why they stopped using a cartoon camel to represent Camel cigarettes. They are trying to persuade kids into making better choices. As we all know, kids are very easily influenced. I think it's great, honestly. There's nothing wrong with this. It might be too late for older kids that have been living their lives on soda "treats" from McD's but what about all the new toddlers coming up? Maybe we can start instilling healthier choices in newer generations. I'm all for it.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    On MFP of all places, there is seriously negativity about this??? McDonald's isn't taking away your choices, it's giving you more. And it doesn't say they won't serve your children soda. It just says that they won't advertise it with the happy meals. But if you request it, I'm sure they would substitute. You think they haven't already thought of that? They're the most successful fast food restaurant in the world for a reason. I think this is a fantastic developement. Also, McDonald's isn't always a treat. Sometimes it's what you get when you're on the run or running too late to cook a dinner. In fact, those instances are the only times I take my kids there. And my 3 year old has never had soda. He gets milk with his happy meal, and I don't give him the fries. My 13 year old gets the soda but understands it's a rare treat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Soda make you fat.
    If u think im a joke, or not real, imagine Im euro style. Turns out its a fact idiot,
    im croatia, now at north america. So my tastes, info, and thoughts have backing. Enjoy life my man.

Um ... what?
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think that is great but ultimately it is up to the parent to make wise choices in what they feed their children. My kids were never allowed soda's until they got much older and I wasn't always with them and still my daughter would make wise decisions because that was what I instilled in her. Kids need to be taught how to make these decisions by the parents..... Everyone is so quick to blame these establishments for "making them fat and unhealthy" but they don't force you to eat there. That is your own decision.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    They will test it out in a few stores and see what type of reaction they get. My guess is that we will not see the change in most markets. Soda is a huge profit generator.
  • iinnvvii
    Options
    Well this will not work and will not last. As a parent we treat McDonalds and Happy meals as a treat or reward and part of the treat is having a soda. I'll give it a few weeks and people will be screaming or going somewhere else.

Feeding one's children unhealthy crap as a "reward" conditions them for a life of misery.
    "I did good? OK, let's be bad to myself!"

Today's McDonald's eating children being rewarded are tomorrows unhealthy, obese OCD myfitnesspal users.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    You can still order a soda with the Happy Meal, they are just changing what they offer that comes with it. If you want to get a soda with it.....order it. People get all worked up over nothing......

This ^^^^^ was my 1st thought reading the OP. McD's gets bonus points for 'removing soda from the Happy Menu options. That doesn't mean you can't order it. McD's would never remove the OPTION for their most profitable items.... soda and fries, from the menu, entirely. That would just be stupid of them.

funny-pictures-auto-mcdonalds-sign-478539.jpeg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    They should really ditch the fruit juice as well.

Yup
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I really think McDonald's is an amazing American success story. And they didn't become one by making hasty, poorly thought-out business decisions. They've done their number crunching. I have my qualms about medical associations and politically-linked not-for-profits getting involved, but McDonald's answers to its shareholders, ultimately. There is mostly upside to this decision, from a business standpoint.

You'll still be able to get a soda and fries with your Happy Meal, so it's not like parents and their angry kids are going to be picketing in the drive-thru. But if their menu gets standardized on the "healthy" end of the spectrum (i.e. milk/juice and salad, as opposed to soda and fries) they can charge more (even if their margins are the same, the average McDonald's customer thinks healthy food costs more and will have little internal struggle with forking over a few more cents), and they won't give you a discount if you decide to go rogue and ask for a Coke and fries. Plus, there probably are a lot of helicopter parents out there who will be more likely to take their kids to McDonald's because of this change in policy.

I would say they are unlikely to lose money from this move, but if they do, well, the value of a publicly-traded company is reflected in its stock price. Won't take long for them to go back to singing the old tune.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You can get pop with a happy meal? (That's right POP - I'm canadian)

My daughter wants milk with her meal, and doesn't like french fries,

I think it's great that she can get (and more importanty wants to eat) apple slices instead of french fries.

Plus they get a yogurt with their meal.

They can even get a grilled cheese instead of mcNuggets, which she doesn't like anyway

Your kid is awesome! Parent of the day award. :-D
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Part of turning back the dial on the way this country's state of health is gone is making sure that access to unhealthy food is reduced, forcing parents to ask for a soda with their Happy Meal is a small, but actually effective, step in that direction. The fact that a Happy Meal de facto came with a soda was moronic, no meal fed to a child should ever "come" with a soda.

In fact, I'm in general all for forcing parents to feed their children healthy. People ***** and whine all the time about their choices being taken away, when the simple fact of the matter is that your child has absolutely no choice in what he or she eats, they eat what you and other adults give them, feeding your children unhealthy, sweet, nasty food, even as an occasional "treat" is borderline child abuse. It has never been your child's choice, it has purely been yours.
    It's easy to think it's harmless when they're six and chubby, but it's going to be harder to face when they're older, overweight, suffering from health problems they shouldn't have, and struggling to change their diet while suffering with body perception issues.

So yes, force parents to actually request the damn soda instead of just handing it out with a meal supposedly meant for children. The rest of the contents of a Happy Meal aren't much better, but honestly, small steps matter.

Here, think of it like this. Say you drink three cans of a soda a day (a common habit for kids and teenagers, and even some adults), now keep your diet the same, even if the rest of your diet is relatively unhealthy, but replace each can of soda with a glass of water. That will make a significant difference.
    Another important thing is removing the desensitization to sugar that many individuals have. A part of why we eat so much sugary and sweet food is because we are used to it. As someone who rarely eats sweets or candy, biting into a bar of milk chocolate or trying to eat a Twizzler is overwhelming and significantly too rich, the only way I can handle sweets is in smaller portions and after a good meal, I can never eat sweets on an empty stomach. Once you're desensitized to sweets however, it's much easier to eat them in larger portions, and on empty stomachs.

It all ties in together, don't feed your kids soda, don't cry about the fact that you have to speak an extra sentence when ordering to feed your kids soda. Don't think this has anything to do with your freedom to choose.

Besides, McDonald's is a corporation, not the United States government, they could decide to replace all their burger patties with tofu tomorrow and they'd be infringing on your rights about as much as your neighbor would be if he decided to paint his house neon pink.
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I worked at mcdonalds as a manger for almost 5 years, my area was the test market for apple slices in happy meals. When it was first launched fries were not longer an option and no substitutions were allowed...I got yelled at often. Before corporate decided to switch it to fries and apples we were already allowing people to do fries simply because of how many were upset about the change. I see the same thing happening here.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm glad these big corporations are teaching you how to parent
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Feeding one's children unhealthy crap as a "reward" conditions them for a life of misery.
    "I did good? OK, let's be bad to myself!"

Today's McDonald's eating children being rewarded are tomorrows unhealthy, obese OCD myfitnesspal users.

No, no, no, no, no, NO, NO!!! Teaching your children that eating treats = being bad to yourself is FAR more likely to cause an unhealthy relationship with food, than giving the occasional treat of "unhealthy crap" as part of an overall healthy diet.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    McDonald's is not responsible for the food parents feed their kids. It's a fast food joint and eating there is not really a healthy option. It's a treat like cake or chips.

Having said that I'm glad they are offering options.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Part of turning back the dial on the way this country's state of health is gone is making sure that access to unhealthy food is reduced, forcing parents to ask for a soda with their Happy Meal is a small, but actually effective, step in that direction. The fact that a Happy Meal de facto came with a soda was moronic, no meal fed to a child should ever "come" with a soda.

In fact, I'm in general all for forcing parents to feed their children healthy.

But you're assuming that someone who thinks exactly like you would be the one deciding what is "healthy" and what isn't. What if the hypothetical regulatory body put in charge of arbitrating such matters DIDN'T agree with you? You'd be a lot less hot to trot with government interlopers making your decisions for you, right?
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I feel like if your going to go to McDonald's, just get the stinkin hamburger and fries.... if I wanted a salad or healthy food I would not be going to McDonald's lol....
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Soda make you fat.
    If u think im a joke, or not real, imagine Im euro style. Turns out its a fact idiot,
    im croatia, now at north america. So my tastes, info, and thoughts have backing. Enjoy life my man.

Um ... what?

Its a fact idiot
    Enjoy life my man

It would need to be coherent sentences in order to be fact, lady.

i am croatia. i do not speak america very

Almost 900 posts of not speaking "america very" with a solidly English name.
This discussion has been closed.