Travelling and weight loss

Options
Hi, so in a couple of weeks i'm starting a 18 month round-the-world trip, and i'm worrying about gaining weight. Obviously I can't take hand weights/workout dvds/my laptop and won't be able to afford a gym membership. My budget is going to be pretty tight so i'm worrying I won't be able to afford healthier foods etc. I'm really worried that i'm gonna gain weight. Has anyone ever done this before and have got any tips on how to stay fit and healthy whist travelling. I know that carrying around a 20kg backpack every now and again is going to contribute to something but other than that, i don't know how i'm going to keep progress up.

Replies

• llquilter
    llquilter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What an amazing opportunity! Please don't let the worry override your appreciation of this great adventure! I don't know the structure of your trip (what your days will be like), but I can suggest a few things from my own experience travelling (although not so extensively as you will be!):

1) Walk everywhere you can. It's cheaper, you see more, and you get your workout in, even if it's not intensely aerobic.
    2) Take advantage of activity opportunities - can you bike, sail, hike?
    3) Drink LOTS of water. Pack a camping water filter for places where the water quality is questionable.
    4) Eat three meals and two snacks a day. You don't have to eat your way around the world! But you SHOULD experience the local cultures through their cuisines. Depending on your dietary bent, try to go easy on the things you go easy on now, at home (e.g.,for myself, I.d go easy on carbs and dairy, because I have issues with them, but you have to decide for yourself). Don't deny yourself - just use moderation and adjust the rest of your day accordingly.
    5) Focus on the natural, architectural, artistic and historic beauty of the world - there is so much to see and learn! The food can take care of itself if you trust your common sense.

Have a safe and wonder-filled trip!
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I did a year-long RTW back in 2007-08 and I actually dropped 25 pounds during the year. We walked and hiked so much and for whatever reason, because I wasn't stressing about food and actually gave myself permission to *eat*, it became less of a focus and I lost.

Where are you going, btw?
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Good news is that food is healthier in most parts of the world. So less preservatives and stuff should be good.

I agree with a lot of walking. Also, several smaller meals with fruits and veggies (probably cheaper in most countries vs. the US) and just do some body weight exercises (check out www.jefit.com for ideas). That should keep you in check and probably lose weight, in all honesty!
  • foolsforsarah
    Options
    I think I'd only be weary of airport/airline food lol.

What is it you are travelling for? Group travel or something?
    I was actually wanting to do this for a year but, im not sure Ill have enough to do it without worry. I was hoping to work for food and stay along the way to offset costs.
    What kinda money did you save to feel comfortable with it?

Sorry so many questions, I was thinking 20k wouldnt be enough...maybe I am just worrying myself too much.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Eat a deficit. Period. you don't have ot work out, you don't have to eat "healhty". Just be in a deficit.

If you insist on working out, you can take a pair of running sneakers.

• cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Good news is that food is healthier in most parts of the world. So less preservatives and stuff should be good.

I agree with a lot of walking. Also, several smaller meals with fruits and veggies (probably cheaper in most countries vs. the US) and just do some body weight exercises (check out www.jefit.com for ideas). That should keep you in check and probably lose weight, in all honesty!

This. Generally, (in continental Europe at least) fresh, healthy foods are cheaper than junk food or eating out. Just try to eat healthier choices and eat everything in moderation.
    4) Eat three meals and two snacks a day.

This is the only advice I really disagree with. Eat because you want to and/or because you are hungry, not because you feel like you have to. If you are still full from a big snack you have earlier, don't eat dinner just because it's dinner time and you feel like you have to eat a "real meal." I travel a lot and snack a lot when I travel, but I don't usually gain much weight, if any, because I fill up on those snacks and don't let myself feel like I have to eat "real meals" on top of that. I'd hate to repeat what everyone always says, but it's calories in vs. calories out. You can fit them in your day however you want, whether it be three big meals or 10 small snacks. What really matters is that you eat to keep yourself satisfied without going over your calories and still getting a taste of the local cuisine.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    There are lots of body weight exercises you can do as long as you have a bit of room to move around - push ups; various core exercises like planks, sit-ups, crunches; squats; lunges; cardio like jumping jacks, mountain climbers, burpees, high knees & but kickers; if you find a railing you can get under then inverted rows. Google hotel room exercises to get ideas on how to workout without fitness equipment.

For food, just eat in moderation the different food you'll find along the way. Drink plenty of water and try not to drink too many of your calories.

Have a great trip, sounds very exciting!
  • eartht0emma
    Options
    I did a year-long RTW back in 2007-08 and I actually dropped 25 pounds during the year. We walked and hiked so much and for whatever reason, because I wasn't stressing about food and actually gave myself permission to *eat*, it became less of a focus and I lost.

Where are you going, btw?

Thank you for the help! I'm going to Hong Kong, Australia on a working visa, New Zealand, Fiji and the USA
  • llquilter
    llquilter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I see your point, cdjs77. I was thinking about it from my own perspective, and when I don't have a general structure things can spiral out of control by the end of the day. It's not a suggestion to be rigid, just to be reasonable. How about this instead:
    4) Make the best choices from what is available
    :)
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i travelled around the globe for the past 4 years, and the experience was so amazing. I was strict vegan at the time (now im mostly just veggie with occassional fish), so i kind of lived off local natural unprocessed food. Plenty of rice, stir fried veg, fruit, legumes, bread. You will find asia to be pretty healthy in general, but there are exceptions of course.

I was actually at my most skinny/healthy during that time, i was of course more active in general and less focused on food, just ate good local produce.

Same tips apply everywhere though, if it's processed, fast food fried, has high fat/sugar/high salt, then you know the rules, it's not usually healthy.

I hope you have an amazing time and i'm sure you will remember the experience for ever, (i doubt you'll remember if you gained/lost weight though).
  • Tinatot125
    Tinatot125 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My partner and I did a 12 month RTW trip, long before I ever joined MFP or new anything about nutrition and we both lost over 20lbs each during the year. We weren't even thinking about it, but because we were out and being active everyday the weight came off. I actually gained most weight the year after I got home and went back to lazy lifestyle. I will say that Australia can be tough, lots of beer and potatoe wedges but if you just try to keep a little track of what you are eating you should not have any trouble. Just make sure to enjoy it, it is the best experience you can possibly have and don't deny yourself things, you probably won't get the opportunity again.
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Chances are the walking and exhaustion from sightseeing everyday will probably cause weight loss but if you're really worried, try packing a resistance band or a skipping rope. Both are light and compact. Have fun on your travels! :flowerforyou:

B