The Divorce Diet

Options
Hey guys! I'm Sam--25, almost 26 and recently divorced. The whole "divorce diet" didn't happen for me, instead I gained a lot of weight and hit my high weight through the whole separation and divorce. I'm now at 230.8 lbs at 5'1. Right now, I'm setting my goal weight for 140 lbs, but that might change once I get closer to that weight. I'm looking forward to meeting some people who will keep me accountable...I've tried losing weight a million times before, and accountability is the one thing that I just lack in.

Replies

• RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, I know that it worked fantastic for me when I got divorced from my first weight. Of course once I met my second wife I got all fat and happy again! Good luck and feel free to add me if you want!
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your divorce.
    Now seems like the PERFECT time to change your lifestyle!
    My goal is around 140lbs as well!
  • mjslattery
    mjslattery Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gained during my divorce instead of losing as well. I am 5'2 and weigh almost 200 lbs. I would like to get down to 130 pounds by next May, with several milestone events along the way. Maybe we can support each other through this journey. I just started back on MyFitnessPal again today. Good luck!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    During my divorce I thought I'd lose crazy weight - a bit from stress, but mainly from my eating habits being healthier than my ex husband's.

I lost like 9 lb in a year. NOT what I expected...at all. From 271 to 262 was not impressive. Especially going from little to no activity, to daily walks, and meeting a new love who eats/lives super duper healthy. I guess I still needed a lot of improvement.

Since then I've lost 44 lb thanks to MFP. I am completely sold on it being an awesome tool. I have my settings for 1.5 lb per week and averaged out I have lost 1.6 lb per week for 6 months.
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Wow! All I'm thinking here is God she's Gorgeous.

It's a bummer about the divorce. I hope your heart heals soon. As for the fitness, I'm sure you'll that down soon. The hard part is over. Now it's time to focus on you and not look back.

BTW, take it from the voice (or text) of experience, divorce CAN be a blessing.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    At least you lost the dead weight of your husband?
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    As a twiced divorced single dad I understand. Both sucked and ended for different reasons. Btw it doesnt matter how many times you fall at getting healthy it maters that you keep getting back up....god I sound corny lol
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    that is a good point ^^
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    I did lose weight during my separation/divorce but only because I was so mad that I couldn't even eat. I had already lost the majority of my weight before the separation and when he left, for about a month I was so pissed off and mad that I physically just couldn't eat. I continued to exercise and took great pleasure in beating the hell out of the punching bag. I dropped 20 pounds the first month he as gone but then it was back to a steady 1-2 pounds a week. I have been stuck at 180 since January of this year. I would like to lose another 20 pounds. I don't think I could lose much more than that without looking physically ill since I have so much loose skin (probably 10+ pounds that could be surgically removed if I could afford it).
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    ODAT! One Day At a Time right, so take it slow, sounds like you got the right attittude. Keep coming back here. Log, exercise. Find the right foods and exericses that work for you. Everybody is NOT the same, hence the "Divorce Diet" not working for you, some people handle things differently, some people respond to different exercises differently, there's no "one size fits all" solution here, its an overused and trite saying but it truly is a journey and you have to find your way but you get to do it with a bunch of cool people and unfortunately a few ****heads but you will easily pick them out

Good Luck:smile:
  • NekaMaye88
    NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    that is a good point ^^

Good point indeed! :) I've been divorced 2 years so I feel ya girl. Add me if you want to talk about that or any dieting things. Many peace and blessings to you!
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am currently going through the whole separation/divorce myself.
    I have gained 18lbs in 3 months. :grumble:
    I am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel for me though, so I am trying this again.
    Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Ouch! :tongue:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Wow! All I'm thinking here is God she's Gorgeous.

I know, right!?
  • SamtasticLouLou
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Man that sucks, I'm sorry you're having to go through that!

I was 21 when my then-husband and I separated. I was healthy, and lost around 20 pounds. Was a breast feeding mother of an infant at the time. Got divorced a few months after, and man... did I look at my anorexic self and go let's get some weight on this skeleton. I ate myself insane, hoping to get healthy again... if I remembered the times we were happy, I'd avert it by downing a can of Coke. Remembering the horrible times? Bag of pretzels... By the time I realized it, I was overweight. :O

Started working out since the spring of 2011 and lost the useless weight, and have started to get leaner and fitter. Bumped into my ex's mom the other day, could see she was doing the once over lol. Her sister met me the same day and said I was looking fantastic. Really made my day.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this! I lost a lot of weight with my first divorce but it didn't take long for me to gain it right back. I'm currently going through my second divorce (I really know how to pick them) and I lost some weight in the beginning but then gained a few back. Chocolate is not my friend. lol I'm trying to get back on track now and get back down to where I was but in a healthier way. Feel free to add me for support - through the divorce and your fitness goals!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    When I refer to my divorce diet, I refer to the ~120 lbs of worthless mass that I got rid of, which is in no way related to my body mass. Heck, it was two year later that I started losing fat. And then, really just because I was bored so I got in to fitness just to have something to do.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the divorce, it is never easy.

I too went through the divorce diet. I lost about 20lbs but I looked sickly. My face was sunken in and my skin was not clear. Once I found my hunny now, I put the weight plus some back on. I am slowly losing now and I am feeling good about it.
  • bamabutterfly83
    bamabutterfly83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Divorce sucks even when you are happy to be out of the relationship. Sorry you are dealing with this. I also did not reap the benefits of the divorce diet. Now it's all about me being happy again and Being healthy for my 2 year old. Feel free to friend me. Look like we have similar goals. Just remember "Keep moving forward" :flowerforyou: