Walking a dog at 3 miles an hour

Options

Replies

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You can enter new exercises into the database and name them whatever you want. Then it will appear for easy use on your list of exercises.

And this is the very reason many of the calorie calcs are incorrect. People entering the wrong numbers.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    walking not burn calories only running miles or more
    Huh?

Sentence sense make no to little very. Stroke had think I he.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If walking doesn't use energy, how do you move your muscles?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I created one called... NOT walking dog.

Now I get...

Oh, your poor dog
    Why'd you leave the dog at home?
    The dog needs exercise too!

Then I created one called...
    I don't have a dog and the cat falls over, so I walk alone.

Then I got
    Awe, I'll come walk with you

LOL

You need a cat walker/stroller thing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Don't feed the troll. He's been spamming and derailing threads like crazy
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I'm curious. Wondering if he's discovered the solution to the energy crisis, if he can move without using any.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I can't log walking my dog at 3.0 mph because he stops to sniff things too often, it's nowhere near that fast! :tongue:
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. Whenever I log a speed that doesn't include a dog reference, several of my friends on here inquire into the status of said dog.

Also, why is that troll set on repeat?

Also, why is that troll set on repeat? - LOL
  • whirlybirdknits
    whirlybirdknits Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You could always put a fitbit on your cat!

http://www.geeked.info/putting-a-fitbit-on-my-cat/
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options

THIS^ (the ignore user button is FAB!)
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I totally log how much I walk my dog so that it looks like I'm doing something. I don't log my actual training because it's too hard to track.

However, every time I walk my dog, she acts like we never freaking walk her. That animal gets miles put on her every day.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    Huh?

my dad is biochemist. If u think im a joke, or not real, imagine Im euro style. Turns out its a fact idiot,
    im croatia, now at north america. So my tastes, info, and thoughts have backing. Enjoy life my man.

Dang, and I thought MayoClinic.com would be a good source of accurate information (see link below). Thank you for disproving my sources with your post.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I can't log walking my dog at 3.0 mph because he stops to sniff things too often, it's nowhere near that fast! :tongue:

Mine sniffs AND pees on every lightpost!
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I realize that every physical activity does, in fact, burn calories, but I don't think me walking my dog burns enough calories over my normal calorie burn rate that it is worth logging on MFP. If someone were extremely sedentary and sat on the couch watching TV all day and walking the dog was the only time he got up off his butt, then yeah, it would be a significant event worth logging. But I don't think it is significant for me.
  • yuichen
    Options
    My two huskies helped me burn off 18lbs in the duration of the winter just walking them a couple hours five days a week. It was the first time I really lost something substantial and it motivated me to take up fitness games on my console and eventually P90X later on. My motivation has kind of died off with the loss of my father a couple months ago but I'm trying to get back into, at the very least, walking my dogs. They're pretty pleased with this :P
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    :laugh: We really need a Paw-Dometer for the cat!! He follows us to the Store (7-11) and Home almost every night! How would you count his steps?!

Just remember to divide the distance by 4 ( paws) LOL! and he does extra wandering back and forth, sniffing. For dog walkers, the doggie leg hikes have to count for some thing!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

What...you don't simply float like the rest of us?
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog every day and my friends said 'you know there is a dog walking exercise in the database'?

My dog however does not walk at 3mph. My RunKeeper averages us out at 2.2mph so I just log 2mph. Its his walk not mine, so I'm happy to take it at his pace and just enjoy the extra calories it gives me for a morning coffee :)
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'd love it if my dogs would walk at 3 mph. They have to stop and pee and sniff everything every 4 steps!

(edited for TYYYPOOOS)

I have one of those invisible fence collars for my dog that has a hand held remote and I walk the dog without a leash, when she stops to sniff or pee i just keep walking. When I get 50 or so feet ahead of her i whistle, if she doesn't run after me I hit the vibrate button on the collar and she comes running, I've never actually had to use the shock button, just the vibrate is enough. This way I can keep up my pace and the dog gets to sniff and pee all she needs.