Mindless munching

Options
So I'm hoping there's a couple of people out here with tips on how to avoid this bad habit whilst studying... I find its so ingrained in my routine that its near impossible to concentrate on my coursework until I have some food nearby. Not the best way to maintain a calorie defecit o_0

Any tips would be really appreciated, thanks guys

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cucumber slices. Celery. Carrots. Hell, even lettuce? Sometimes you just gotta munch.

You could also try chewing gum.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I second the chew gum idea. Or breath mints.
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I recommend changing your whole routine. Where you study, the order in which you accomplish tasks, etc. Like trying to break any habit, if you can remove yourself as much as possible from the routine of your habit, you may find it easier to tackle. Good luck!
  • YaelCeglio
    YaelCeglio Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The more you chew, the more saliva is produced, so you'll feel hungry. Get a bottle of water and and straw and sip from it :) I personally drink out of a Tervis water bottle, but I can see the appeal of a straw.
  • VetGirl13
    Options
    I recommend changing your whole routine. Where you study, the order in which you accomplish tasks, etc. Like trying to break any habit, if you can remove yourself as much as possible from the routine of your habit, you may find it easier to tackle. Good luck!

Thanks, its all sound advice. Don't think it would be too smart to change my routine overall now - its my final finals, probably not the best time to mix things up.
    Gonna try the gum and if that doesn't work I'll consider increasing what I allow for snacks and decreasing my main meals. And will keep the snacks healthy of course - carrots here I come ;-)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Cucumber slices. Celery. Carrots. Hell, even lettuce? Sometimes you just gotta munch.

You could also try chewing gum.
    Agree with above except be warying of eating too much celery IF you're concerned about sodium intake. I wouldn't call it a high sodium food, but it can really add up if you eat a bunch of it. Personally I prefer baby carrots.

I also snack on frozen seedless grapes; pop 1 in your mouth, let it thaw then chew. Great way to space out their consumption over time.
  • cjvelasquez
    cjvelasquez Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would recommend loading up on fruits when you feel the need to munch. Grapes and apples can be very filling and will hold back your hunger cravings. Also I would have water or possibly crystal light around as well. I know how intense the feeling of mindless munching can be.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Chopped up veggies and low fat dip!

Or, my personal favorite....a nice cup of coffee!