Skip a day?!?!

Options
Okay, so for about 2 weeks now I've walked every morning at the local track, working my way up to 1.5 miles (it may not sound impressive, but for me that's a pretty badass accomplishment!) My plan is to slowly increase up to 5 miles. Also, in addition to this I've been doing about 20-30 minutes of Pilates focusing on my back, arms and abdomen. And so far this has all been working out great.

Here's my problem I need help with...

Yesterday I had some pain in my hip, it is the hip that has a tendency to get "thrown out", although this was not that. It was a muscle twinge, like a bit of a pull but not too painful, I took it as a warning and took it easy yesterday, doing only the most gentle stretching routine and doing it very slowly and measured, taking care to listen to my body as I went. That, and one mild, like, ten minute leisurely walk, while browsing at a store, was all I did, and this apparently did the trick because it feels fine this morning.

When I was debating if I should just suck it up and workout the same as always , you know "walk it off" (which I am now very glad I did not do) a few people told me not to stress it because I'm supposed to be taking a day off between workouts any way.

When I asked why, they each told me that you need to rest a day to build any muscle and give your body a chance to adapt to the burn or something and that I should be walking one day and doing the Pilates on alternate days.

I knew that they say you should exercise three times a week for at least 30 minutes a go, but I always assumed ("they" meaning doctors I've spoken too and the little diet and exercise guides they hand out) But I assumed that was for maintaining your goal once you reached it. I thought to do what I am trying to do I would have to be full throttle for a while to get there.

So here's my fitness goal:

I'm trying to tone up, get rid of flab and build some muscle (not going for beefed up body builder here, but I lost a lot of weight just by adjusting my eating habits, and now I need to lose the rest and tone everything up)

My goal weight is ~165 and I have ~98 lbs to go, to lose inches in my most flabby spots (which I've already made some solid progress on) and to get my back muscles nice and strong to help with a back problem I have.

So can anyone tell me, definitively, if I should be doing an every other day regime or keep going with the every day plan for now?

Replies

• amyelyseneer
    Options
    well that's not what I am asking exactly... I am not wanting to skip a day, I'm asking if I should be doing the legwork one day, and the upper body work the next day, since people told me I shouldn't be doing everything full throttle every day or muscle will not build.

Is this true? Or is it pseudo-science BS?

If alternating workouts each day will build muscle and tone better, than I will switch, but honestly I am fine doing everything every day if that's better.
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    What they're saying is sort of right. Muscles take 24-48 hours to repair after a workout. Working the same muscles hard everyday can lead to overtraining, which is why many people who workout everyday will split up body parts (because there is a difference between working out everyday and working the same muscles every day). Typically, walking is fine to do everyday (just remember to stretch). If you're working your muscles hard you will want to let them rest though.
  • amyelyseneer
    Options
    Okay, So when I get to the point where I am doing the nautilus equipment type stuff and the hand weights, that stuff should be staggered by a muscle group a day, but the walking and stretching is okay every morning.

Got it, Thank you, Kate! ^_^