How do you stay motivated?

Options
I'm looking for a little boost of courage.
How do you stay motivated to keep exercising and eating healthy? What compels you to stay on track, especially during the tougher days?

Replies

• kp130
    kp130 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Looking a picture of where I want to be and where I am now! Also connecting with people who like minded!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I come on here and read some of the inspiring stories. I remember how hard it was to walk a mile.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My newer smaller clothes and the comments people make about me looking good. Honestly that is what keeps me motivated. And the scale. I know a lot of people make the scale their enemy, but for me it's not at all. It keeps me on track.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror and see what success has brought me... that's all the motivation I need!

I also have a magnet on my fridge that says "Why chose to fail when success is an option? ~ Jillian Michaels"
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Do lots of research.... In turn I can set realistic goals.. In turn, I know where I want to be in a week, month, even out as far as a year from now.. Seeing those numbers and goals fall into place is motivation enough. I dont just have goals, I have realistic deadlines and foresight into the future quite a ways.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i look at my fl on here see them kick butt makes me want to do the same
  • twenty20tunnelvision
    Options
    Sometimes I have a problem with being lazy. I tend to zone out on a show or something and before I know it half my day has been pissed away. Solution? I turn music on instead... It's nearly impossible to sit on your *kitten* when you are listening to music.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    I have joined a fitness challenge right here on MFP. Called Move Your *kitten* Challenge. All you have to do is miles, no matter how you do them. Walking, biking, stationary biking, treadmill, swimming or however way you do it. You can do a little or a lot. Since I joined I have moved my backside 308 miles walking/biking since Aug 1st. I can't believe how motivating this has been for me. I have lost 2lbs and 2 inches of fat since I started. This is how I stay motivated. I ride/walk 7 days a week (thats just me) you can do a few or a lot, whatever suits you. Here is the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1108220-october-2013-move-your-a-challenge

Read the opening post and see what you think.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I recommended MFP to one of the ladies that supplies my business a few months ago. I called to see her today and asked how she was doing...she stood up and went `ta...dahhh` and told me she had lost 20lbs....WOW she was so, so happy and I was too, it is great to see people make changes in their lives which make them happy.

People that make changes in their lives, losing weight, getting in shape, keep inspiring me and motivating me...if they can do it then I can carry on with it also.
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    From the very beginning, I focused on fitness goals much more than on weight. I started running (with c25k, on a treadmill) and keeping track of the distance in an Excel spreadsheet - including a nice motivating graph with the monthly mileage. In the first 6-9 months, my goal was to be active every single day - to go outside running or walking. Then I started joining challenges like running every day for a month, hitting a certain distance per week or month and so on.

Watching the mileage go up - per week/month and year keeps me going after 18 months. In the meantime running has become much more important - I go to local races on a regular basis and just finished Sept with almost 160 miles ran (my new best).

So definitely look "outside the box". Focusing only on weight can be very disappointing sometimes...