Beginner! Patience Please :)

Options
So I need help figuring out a good workout. I am FAR from the "toning" point. I have about 80 lbs to lose still, and I want to work out to be healthy and avoid the dreaded "saggy skin". I was wondering if anyone has any tips on home work outs? I am going to by a kettle ball and have found many helpful videos on how tos/reps/weights/ etc. But my question is, how many days a week should I work each area such as.. stomach, legs and arms? I am clueless as to how many days and what duration is effective for me. What routine do other beginners use? I will be doing these exercises on top of cardio. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• lmissinsanity
    Options
    Couch to 5 k is excellent and beginner friendly cardio :)
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    thank you! I will look into that now!
    Couch to 5 k is excellent and beginner friendly cardio :)
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    This bodyweight workout is a good place to start, do it 3 days a week until you can complete all the sets:

www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • MrsPigz
    MrsPigz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! So helpful and cheap!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Have access to a gym? If so, stronglifts/Starting strength/new rules of lifting for women.
    Don't have access to a gym? Check out nerdfitness.com or you are your own gym.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean far from the toning point. If I knew then what I know now, I would have started strength/weight training from the start. Not saying don't do cardio, but a good mix is best.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Youtube is a wonderful place to find free works outs for all levels and styles. FitnessBlender channel is a good one and the very best of luck to you. :happy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme is a great program that incorporates strength training and cardio, had modifiers so that if you are just beginning, you can do it too! I am doing it right now, did it before and lost about 28lbs in 3-months.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Chalean Extreme is a great program that incorporates strength training and cardio, had modifiers so that if you are just beginning, you can do it too! I am doing it right now, did it before and lost about 28lbs in 3-months.
    interesting.. are you a coach, too?
  • DanniB423
    Options
    I just meant I am not trying to building huge muscles at this point, still losing a lot of fat. and trying to tone as i ago to avoid sagging. I am def going to do a mix, and i was asking for suggestions as to how many days a week I should do toning vs cardio. Sorry if I didnt word it right! lol :) thanks
  • DanniB423
    Options
    THIS. I was looking for this kind of how-to and a set routine. Thanks a bunch!
    This bodyweight workout is a good place to start, do it 3 days a week until you can complete all the sets:

www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • VetGirl13
    Options
    Just a personal preference really, but I like to do both cardio and strength training with every workout. The only variables are which areas am I strength training - i.e Monday is arms and abs, Tuesday lower back and legs - but both days have 30min or so of cardio. As long as you allow each muscle group time to heal (rest days) you can mix it up as you wish.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I just meant I am not trying to building huge muscles at this point, still losing a lot of fat. and trying to tone as i ago to avoid sagging. I am def going to do a mix, and i was asking for suggestions as to how many days a week I should do toning vs cardio. Sorry if I didnt word it right! lol :) thanks
    You won't build huge muscles. you won't get "bulky."

Lift 3 days per week. Do cardio if you want. You don't have to do cardio to burn fat. Cardio is great for cardiovascular health, but not required to lose weight.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    Thank you! That makes sense!
    Just a personal preference really, but I like to do both cardio and strength training with every workout. The only variables are which areas am I strength training - i.e Monday is arms and abs, Tuesday lower back and legs - but both days have 30min or so of cardio. As long as you allow each muscle group time to heal (rest days) you can mix it up as you wish.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

I'm going to save you some time and effort. Pick up "New Rules of Lifting for Women", even if you have no plans to lift weights. I will send you a check for twice the amount you paid for it, if it doesn't help you understand what is wrong with the way you're phrasing your goals.

Read the book, then read this: I weight lift for about an hour, 4 times a week, and I'm easily buringing 400 calories at a time doing something that doesn't suck (like the treadmill, lol)... I should get some conditioning work in though...
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Strength training will help you burn fat AND tone at the same time. You don't have to do one and then the other. And you won't get "big muscles." You're a girl -- it's not really possible.