How do you handle what I call, "EATING EVENTS"

Options

Replies

• Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I've got events like this I try to save a few calories within the week that its falling on. I make sure I get to the gym to build up some extra cals as well. Finally, I'd eat a healthy low cal meal before going ie, a big salad, a big bowl of soup or some veggies. Then when I go I wouldn't be as hungry probably wouldn't want to eat as much and would be armed with spare cals if needs be. On days like the chilli cook off you don't' need to try every chilli out there, trying one or two spoonfuls of a few would probably do and you wouldn't feel as hard done by. Also if you've the spare cals to back you up you'd be able to enjoy them guilt free :-)

As for the fairs that have the drinking I'd probably find this harder as I like my beer, but again I'd do the same as what I said above and the suggestion that someone gave as been the designated driver is a fantastic suggestion and you wouldn't get people trying to 'twist your arm' to have drink if they know you're driving.

Good luck and enjoy the days out, life is for living, if you're good the rest of the time you'll be grand :-)
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Its one day. If you miss goal for one day nothing bad is going to happen. Will you have an off week? Maybe. Is it the end of the world? Nope... no zombies coming for us today.

Dont go into it with the mindset of 'eff it... im missing my goal so I might as well miss it by 17 bajillion calories'. Enjoy... just dont overenjoy just for the sake of doing it.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Maybe I need to plan on new traditions that don't center around overeating unhealthy food.

I just had this discussion with my dh. As someone who enjoys preparing food for others (and them enjoying it), I struggle with my love for food-centric events/holidays.
  • cyberbidder
    Options
    I find it very difficult. Sometimes I go and do not eat. Often this is easier than trying eat the correct amount. Sometimes I go and try to control myself and STAY AWAY FROM THE DESERT-NONE. One desert is, for me at least, too many and one thousand is not enough.
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I guess what I am asking myself is will I have any fun at these things that are usually all about food if I am sensible and controlled in what I eat?
    I mean what's the point of going to a chili cook off if I'm not going to try 50 kinds of chili? And some nice cold beer to wash it down.
    Yes that is only one day and i know in the grand scheme of things it will not make an impact either way.
    It is just coming up on the time of year when all of these type of events take place in a cluster followed by the holidays.
    Maybe I need to plan on new traditions that don't center around overeating unhealthy food.

I agree it's tough when social events have so much food involved!

You really have to wrap your head around what's important to you. Are you going because you are just absolutely dying to try 50 kinds of chili, or are you going because it's a fun social event to attend with your friends/family? If it's for the chili, then plan ahead...eat a light breakfast, maybe get in some exercise...and go enjoy. if it's for the social aspect, then still plan ahead but only taste the 'must haves' and enjoy the company of your friends!

For the fair, do you have a favourite 'must have'? Plan ahead for that, eat a good lunch, and enjoy your one favourite treat!

I've started offering to be DD lately so then the booze doesn't tempt me. We attended a Brewery & the Beast event recently (which is all you can drink beer, and all you cat eat meat-based dishes)... I shared one beer with my bf, and was really choosey about the food I tried...if it was a basic slider or poutine I can have any time I passed, but if it was something different and special I had it. Oh, and I discarded most of the breads/tortillas/toasts/etc...I was there for the meat!

:)

Anyway, you're thinking ahead about it so that's a good first step. Go, enjoy, and don't make it all about the food.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I guess what I am asking myself is will I have any fun at these things that are usually all about food if I am sensible and controlled in what I eat?
    I mean what's the point of going to a chili cook off if I'm not going to try 50 kinds of chili? And some nice cold beer to wash it down.
    Yes that is only one day and i know in the grand scheme of things it will not make an impact either way.
    It is just coming up on the time of year when all of these type of events take place in a cluster followed by the holidays.

I agree. This ONE day might set you back a week, but if you're in this for the rest of your life, 1 week is NOTHING.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My frame of mind about these things has changed a lot from a year ago. I would worry so much about these events, thinking I'm going to either ruin all of my progress or be miserable watching everyone else eating delicious things knowing I "can't" have any of it. For me, the main issue with these types of things is how quickly you can get back on track.

Going nuts on fair food isn't going to derail you unless you haven't practiced the fine art of getting back on track the next day. At the beginning of my weight loss, I knew that if I allowed myself certain things, I would spiral out of control for weeks. I knew this because it happened. If you know you can get back on track the next day, one day of fair food won't cancel out all of your previous weight loss efforts. However, if you are eating fair food one day, then cocktail hour the next day, then pot luck the next day...you can see where it might become a problem.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Also, decide what's really worth the calories. When I'm tempted with desserts and whatnot, I carefully think to myself if I love that dessert enough to cheat. More often than not, they're not, so I pass. If you really love a certain food, effin' eat it and make calories for it.
  • saxy2014
    Options
    Try eating something before you go...that way you are not hungry when you get there. Also, try to make the best choice possible when you get there.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. These events are one time things- I wouldn't go totally crazy, but have fun and eat what you want in moderation. Eat healthy/light the day before and after. Believe me, it may in the long run help your weightloss since you won't feel so deprived....good luck!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Option "b".

I often go to different events, and just generally often dine out, like 3 times a week. You gotta learn to control yourself. There would be provocative food yummies all your life, you gotta learn how to deal with your cravings.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I would go to the chili cook off and try one bite of 50 kinds of chili. I would enjoy my cold beverage with it (beer or otherwise). I'm not sure now that I have been eating smaller portions for two months that I could eat more than one bite of each without feeling sick.

I stay away from the food vendors at the fair. Bad for the body and the budget.

I would either be the DD for the gala, as someone suggested above, or I would save up calories and enjoy it. That's your call

The first of many "eating events" is coming up at work. My boss is very into Halloween and we are having a "treat day and costume contest" on the 31st. My plan is to make a GF fruit pizza for breakfast (vanilla Greek yogurt in place of cream cheese), eat chips salsa and queso for lunch and go on with my life. If someone brings a veggie tray, I'll eat from that. (Admittedly, it's easier for me because celiac disease eliminates a lot of the things others will bring from my diet. ) oh, and I will eat two pieces of my friend Missi's Peanut Butter fudge. I will use a break to walk up and down the six flights of stairs to pay for that. :-)
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I live by the 90-10 rule. I eat on track for 90% of the time. 10% of the time I just eat. I don't go crazy, but I eat. It makes social events less stressful. I do my best to log what I do eat. If I end up going super crazy, I try my best to create a smaller deficit over the week so that I can make up for a bit of it. I usually end up just slightly over.

If it's a potluck type event, I treat it more like a "tasting". I use a small spoon to dish what I want and just have a bite or two of a lot of the things that are brought. There is no shame in taking only 1/3 a portion if it is already cut because it's likely someone else will want a smaller portion as well.

27508099.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it too much, I just make sure to log all of it.

ALL of it.

Then for the next event, I know what I did last time, and what it "cost", so I can make a fully informed choice on how much to "control" myself.

Things like the 80/20 rule are problematic - if you're perfect on the 80%, and the 20% is only twice as bad as it should have been, you've just wiped out pretty much all the effort from the 80%.
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it too much, I just make sure to log all of it.

ALL of it.

Then for the next event, I know what I did last time, and what it "cost", so I can make a fully informed choice on how much to "control" myself.

Things like the 80/20 rule are problematic - if you're perfect on the 80%, and the 20% is only twice as bad as it should have been, you've just wiped out pretty much all the effort from the 80%.

I disagree. Most of the time, I am not that far off from my goal and I can make up for it with a small deficit over the next few days. It's not a license to eat whatever and binge. It just allows for some added flexibility with out guilt. If I go over because there was a birthday with pizza and cake, it's ok. The key is to log every thing. There is nothing problematic about this rule if you are still being reasonable.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Just curious how all of you wonderful people handle what I call "Eating Events"? You know the kind of thing that basically the food brings you out to. There are several of them coming up that I usually attend and I'm wondering what I should do.

a)just not go
    b) go and TRY to control myself
    c) other- cause there's always an other

Examples of these kinds of events that are coming up in the next two months are a chili cook off, the county fair, and a charity gala. The Gala is more of a drinking issue for me than overindulging in food. But the fair, OMG, fried oreos, caramel apples, funnel cakes.....

Guess I'm not really looking for advice. I know what I NEED to do. I just wonder how other people deal with these sort of things.

Learning how to handle these kinds of outings properly is necessary, because you'll be dealing with them for the rest of your life. Just because you hit goal at some point and transition into maintenance does not mean all of a sudden you'll be able to not have a plan for these kinds of events. Avoiding them is not practical nor is it any fun :)

What works for me-
    Be picky! Because my husband does volunteer work with teens we were invited to over ten graduation open houses this spring and of course every single one of them had food and The Cake. Some Sundays we had 4 of them right in a row. The 'old' me would have eaten at each one, as well as had a piece of cake at each. This summer (having lost the weight and now in maintenance), I only ate the food that I actually really wanted. I did NOT eat out of obligation or to be 'polite'. I turned down the pushy relatives trying to shove plates of meatballs and sloppy jo sandwiches at me. I also only ate the cake that looked really good-which meant I skipped eating anything at all at several of them:tongue: That paid off though because a few of them had fantastic food (can we say lasagna wee!), and I ate that guilt free, because I hadn't been wasting calories on sub-par food. I also had some cake, but I cut those massive pre-cut pieces in half or even fourths.

Portion Control-like the above cake example, have some food but cut back on the portions. Now my whole family splits a funnel cake instead of me eating my own (and then taking some of my kids as well :blushing: ). Have one fried oreo instead of three. Just cutting back on the amount of each thing you eat will be a huge calorie saver!

Be 'Rude'. I touch on this one above, but don't be afraid to say no, if you don't really want what's being offered or aren't really hungry. I've actually gone to pot-locks, brought a dish to pass, and then sat there and sipped water and had some veggies and fruit while everyone else mowed down on three heaping plates worth of calories. I go into these events knowing what's going to be offered (the brunch potluck I go to every year always has one fruit platter and then about 10 quiches and gobs of pastries/bagels/donuts/muffins ugh). Sometimes I'll eat before going to one of these events, so I'm not really hungry and have an easier time declining food/choosing the lesser calorie options. There's nothing wrong with politely declining food or taking a small amount, but still participating in the fellowship going on :)
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I "save up" calories so I can eat a little bit of everything I want. Depending on what is being served I've even brought my small measuring cup to the table so I could be accurate at figuring out calories. No one has asked me why or commented. It's my health and my weight loss, so whatever keeps me on track is what I havta do!

I'd be too embarrassed to measure my food in front of others. I give your props for doing what you need to do! :)
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    But the fair, OMG, fried oreos, caramel apples, funnel cakes.....
    Honestly some things you should never eat ever. If a friend buys a funnel cake you can have one bite. I always bring food with me to festivals so I don't need to buy anything.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is more important to me than eating junk that will leave me with an upset stomach for days. Why do you have to eat at these events? If you only go for the food, that says a lot about you and your determination to reach goal.
  • NetmanNH
    Options
    I would say go, eat , have fun .. but pace yourself so that your level of fullness catches up with what you eat .. you will find that if you have been restricting your calories it will not take much to make you feel full!