Women who lift

Is strength training and lifting the same thing or different? I see posts all the time about lifting, and I know it means using weights, but I wasn't sure if there were different classes.

I am trying to burn fat and get stronger and leaner. I am thinking mixing in some lifting would help me in this. I was looking around the internet for ways I could do this at home with a small budget. I found a youtube workout and I was wondering if I could get any opinions on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjx_e5Vwez0&noredirect=1

I don't have a lot of time as I have a baby to look after, cook, clean, plus run my own business. So my time is pretty tight. I am doing my last day of 30ds level 1 tomorrow and I thought once I am done level 3 I could start over and maybe add in some more strength training? This vid is only 15 mins so doable for me. Maybe more abs too because I really like doing the different crunches.

Replies

• stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    What sort of equipment do you have at home for lifting? Before I got into heavier lifting/strength training (oh - yes, they're the same thing) I started with this workout at home:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/metabolism/metabolism-boosting-superset-workout/

There are videos for each move which helps. It got me started on understanding the different lifts I could do, the different muscles to hit and the exercises that work those muscles. I replaced the one legged calf squat with a bulgarian split squat (while holding weights) - it felt way better on my knees and, while I hate them because they kill me, they're really great for legs and butt.

I needed 5, 8, 10 and 15 pound weights for this when I started.

I'm doing strength training at a gym now, but this definitely got me interested in the lifting side of things - I hope it helps!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Weight lifting is strength training, but strength training need not be weight lifting. Self weight exercises are strength training, for instance. As a beginner, I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts 5x5. I like the latter, which take about 45 minutes for me to do the whole routine (plus another 10-15 mintues for cool down stretching). Stronglifts focuses on combination lifts, so you work a lot of different muscles at once. I get a lot of core work without doing a single crunch from stabilizing myself and the load during overhead press or squats, for instance. Stronglifts can be found on the forums or the internet at large for free.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    After my 30DS x2 (I did 2 rounds as my goal was to do all there exercise non modified) I started Strong Lifts 5x5 and joined this group of lovely women.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women (which has the program on it but in a more readable format)

I think I take 30-45mins including my warmups and rest between sets atm.

I have at home 200lbs of free weights, a standard bar, a bench (and my husband is building me a power rack)

It is a great program and I personally love it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Is strength training and lifting the same thing or different? I see posts all the time about lifting, and I know it means using weights, but I wasn't sure if there were different classes.

I am trying to burn fat and get stronger and leaner. I am thinking mixing in some lifting would help me in this. I was looking around the internet for ways I could do this at home with a small budget. I found a youtube workout and I was wondering if I could get any opinions on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjx_e5Vwez0&noredirect=1

I don't have a lot of time as I have a baby to look after, cook, clean, plus run my own business. So my time is pretty tight. I am doing my last day of 30ds level 1 tomorrow and I thought once I am done level 3 I could start over and maybe add in some more strength training? This vid is only 15 mins so doable for me. Maybe more abs too because I really like doing the different crunches.

Yes, it will. Lift some weights, eat a moderate calorie deficit, and be patient.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,082 Member
    As stated weight lifting is only one form of strength training. Personally, I think most people do not push bodyweight training near as far as it can take them. If you have little or no equipment available, bodyweight is the way to go. When you have exhausted the ways to increase the difficulty with bodyweight, then you will have little option but to go to weight training.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Wow, thanks for the help! I have absolutely no equipment. Just 2 lb weights I was using for 30ds and I plan on buying 5lbs next. I kept meaning to buy heavier ones because I don't feel much with the 2 pounds.

I think I will check out some bodyweight exercises then. Save some money for now. :)
  • Care76
    So I checked out the group for women who do the SL 5x5. Looks very interesting. My husband told a trainer he knows I was interested in doing it and he said I was better off just doing things with my own body weight. And I think he said things like crunches because he said something about putting my feet under the couch???

I am now confused. I was really interested in lifting since I have done some research on it and it seems to be the best way to get rid of fat. Cardio has done nothing for me (I used to do zumba and other cardio dvds). I need to lose fat and get strong, I am a wimp now, lol. But this person doesn't seem to think it will do anything for me. I have read that you can't lose fat from any targeted area. I can work it but it doesn't mean the fat will be lost there.

I am eating at a deficit, but not too much as I am breasfeeding. I do a lot of walking (but I won't be once the ice comes) as well.
  • SezxyStef
    That's a shame that a PT would say something like that....a damn shame.

I started with body weight just like you doing the 30DS (push ups, crunches) moves from 3lb weights on all her str and then to 5lbs and it wasn't just enough for me...it doesn't take long to adapt trust me.

This group has a lot of woman who lift as well

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Specifically one of the moderators who has tonnes of knowledge about lifting along with the woman in the other group I mentioned.

As well check out this thread..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

it is motivating...

As well do not believe what that PT told you...some are like that. Woman who lift get strong and it prevents a tonne of ailments later on and I personally think that looking at these woman who have done exactly what you want I say it's pretty close to a fountian of youth.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    IMO, the difference between "Resistance Training" (Meaning any sort of lifting or bodyweight exercises designed to work muscles rather than cardiovascular system) and proper "Strength Training" is in the way it is approached. Strength Training (in my mind) means training specifically to increase strength (as opposed to training for looks).

Either way, lifting is the best way to look good naked, and that tends to be what people are really after at the end of the day ;)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Lifting is great, well worthwhile, but for your goal a calorie deficit and patience are the only things that are absolutely necessary.

Body weight training should be fine for your goals for now. If you can try lifting at some point, do give it a try.
  • SezxyStef
    Lifting is great, well worthwhile, but for your goal a calorie deficit and patience are the only things that are absolutely necessary.

Body weight training should be fine for your goals for now. If you can try lifting at some point, do give it a try.

Sorry I so disagree...I have seen too many woman say..."I wish I had started lifting from the start". I am lifting to lose fat (not weight), to look sexy and lean among other things..like strenght

Even the Mayo clinic recommends it for woman.

It helps burn fat, it keeps/makes you strong, helps prevent osteoporosis, makes you lean and to top it all off it doesn't take a tonne of time which is important as well. Esp for a new mom.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Maybe the PT meant that you could probably get to muscle failure quickly enough with bodyweight exercises for now. That might be true, depending on which exercises you do. Bodyweight is pretty heavy :) It's free to see if those work for you for now, in any case. You might try them.
  • Care76
    Thank you all! From what I have read from other women most wish they started earlier. I would love to start now but I have to look into what equipment I need.

I think SL 5x5 will be what I start with. Mainly because it looks simple. Not simple in easy but simple in that it is easy to understand/follow for a newbie like me.

The PT friend is going to come over this week sometime and chat with me about it. I am hoping sometime he can at least show me some things like proper form. Otherwise I will try to find a trainer interested in helping a girl to lift heavy. :)

Stephanie, I am going to go read through those links you posted! Thanks again!
  • alanlmarshall

Sorry I so disagree...I have seen too many woman say..."I wish I had started lifting from the start". I am lifting to lose fat (not weight), to look sexy and lean among other things..like strenght

Even the Mayo clinic recommends it for woman.

It helps burn fat, it keeps/makes you strong, helps prevent osteoporosis, makes you lean and to top it all off it doesn't take a tonne of time which is important as well. Esp for a new mom.

That's all great, like I said.

But it doesn't help burn fat any more than any other exercise. A calorie deficit is what will burn fat. It can help preserve lean body mass, which is a good thing.

Here's some explanation that might help:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat#calories
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    From my understanding, burning fat and getting fit, or decreasing your body fat% has the most to do with diet. When someone says they want to do this and get stronger it is a little harder to accomplish at the same time. To get stronger your body needs more then its TDEE to build muscle. There is actually a study out there that says if you do not eat enough while trying to build muscle I.E. get stronger your body will actually burn muscle if it does not have the proper fuel.

As for strength training being the "same" as other exercises, this cannot be any more FALSE. Check this out
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Technically you don't need to add muscle to get stronger, particularly in the beginning. Or, to be more accurate, you can train your body to perform better at strength challenges without adding additional muscle mass. There is a reason that powerlifting-style training is often called "neural training."

No, you can't add muscle in a caloric deficit (unless you are extremely obese).
    Yes, creating a caloric deficit is most intelligently controlled on the intake side.
    Yes, high intensity (heavy for YOU) weight training is probably the best way to retain lean body mass while trying to reduce body fat.
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Bump
  • alanlmarshall
    As for strength training being the "same" as other exercises, this cannot be any more FALSE. Check this out
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

Nobody said they were the same, read more closely please. It doesn't burn more calories.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Strength training is more of an umbrella term. Calisthenics are considered strength training but not lifting. Lifting is also strength training. In the beginning strength training like calisthenics may be enough but eventually you have to move to lifting if you want impressive gains.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    YouTube (or Facebook) ZWOW or Bodyrock. ZWOW in particular usually uses no equipment and can easily be done at home. Tough, short workouts that deliver nice results. I used to work out for much longer and in the gym and have the same body now that I did before kids (lean and defined) doing these type of workouts. Many of Zuzka's (who does ZWOW) workouts are about 15 minutes, and the Bodyrock ones can be as short as 12 minutes (though those can sometimes utilize more equipment...but it's manageable and you can find substitutions for the weights, etc). A valuable lesson after years in the fitness industry was that workouts don't have to be long or in the gym to be effective. Check 'em out. And good luck! :)

ETA: I consider both of the abovementioned workouts strength training, though most of the weight is bodyweight only. Still kicks your butt and brings the definition, with a decent diet, of course!!