Lose weight while pregnant?

Options
Hey everyone -

So I'm a little over half way with my weight loss goal, but planning to get pregnant in the next 1-3 months. I always thought I would meet my goal weight before I got pregnant again, but my weight loss has slowed down a bit and I'm afraid I wont. My doctor said that as long as I'm active before I get preggo that I can continue to do the same level of fitness, just not to increase the intensity of it. This is great, but I still want to reshape my body while I'm expecting.

Thoughts on this? The plan is to continue to use MFP and track my calories, while of course adding any additional recommended calories during the pregnancy. I would never deprive whats growing inside my belly, but can I still lose weight overall? Anyone else do this while pregnant?

Replies

• Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    With my first child I lost weight during the first 7 months of pregnancy (I was not trying to. I just had SEVERE!!! morning sickness) I went from 201 down to 180. My OBGYN told my husband (who was freaking out!) that I was
    OK as long as I did not lose more than 10%, and the baby was getting everything he needed. I was the one that was missing out. I know this isn't truly an answer to your question, but it is the closest answer I can give you. Remember too, you may not get pregnant right away either. Healthy couples can take up to a year to get pregnant, so you may have more time than you think. I imagine as long as you clear it with your Doctor you should be OK.
  • aj11016
    aj11016 Posts: 65
    Options
    Right now, I am about 5.5 mos along and it was a SHOCK to say the least when I found out!!! But my OB said that as long as I listen to my body (like pain, dizziness, or anything out of the norm) that I was pretty much free to do what I want as far as exercise... that will change the farther I get along of course. For instance, right now I am still doing a program called Turbofire and using a treadmill since the weather here is cold and wet. Also one thing to remember is FOOD choices! I have actually lost fat during this pregnancy just giving my body what it needs versus what I think I need aka "I need that doughnut or I'm gunna die" lol :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    No. Absolutely not. Calorie restriction during pregnancy is dangerous. You will rob both your baby and yourself of vital nutrients. Trying to lose weight during pregnancy will likely result in a low birth weight baby with the possibility of other problems, preterm labor, and other problems for both of you. If you want to have a baby you have to be willing to do what is necessary to ensure your baby's health. That means eating your maintenance calories during the first half of pregnancy and an extra 300 calories during the second half. Exercising to stay healthy is fine, but you cannot be concerned with losing weight during pregnancy. Don't let vanity jeopardize the health of your child.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Lots of women lose weight when they're pregnant. Those women are "generally" seriously overweight or obese. Be more specific with your doctor. Don't just talk about whether it's okay to continue to work out. Ask her whether you should be gaining or losing and ask her how much. Whatever you do should be under the strict care of your doctor. We don't know whether you're at the upper end of healthy, slightly overweight, obese, etc. and we don't know your medical history, so you're really going to need to rely on her to help you figure out what's right for your body and your pregnancy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Remember whatever you do if you have a healthy pregnancy, and we want healthy, your body will change, and it will grow. A normal pregnancy at term you can expect a 25-35lb weight gain that is the weight from the baby, placenta, breast tissue, blood volume, and fluid volume.

In the mean time, take your prenatals, eat tons of leafy greens, protein, and fat.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Who cares about hitting a stupid number on the scale at that point. What difference does it make anyway??

Concentrate on having a healthy baby and not being selfish thinking of a number on the scale.

THIS!
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No. Absolutely not. Calorie restriction during pregnancy is dangerous. You will rob both your baby and yourself of vital nutrients. Trying to lose weight during pregnancy will likely result in a low birth weight baby with the possibility of other problems, preterm labor, and other problems for both of you. If you want to have a baby you have to be willing to do what is necessary to ensure your baby's health. That means eating your maintenance calories during the first half of pregnancy and an extra 300 calories during the second half. Exercising to stay healthy is fine, but you cannot be concerned with losing weight during pregnancy. Don't let vanity jeopardize the health of your child.

she said she was going to eat what her doctor recomended, but continue to exercise. I don't see anything wrong with excercise during pregnancy...are you saying that she can't lift a dumbell or ride a bike or take a walk on a treadmill for 9 months??
  • nmensen18
    Options
    Thank you to those who responded - but all I can say is WOW to the comments like this:
    "Concentrate on having a healthy baby and not being selfish thinking of a number on the scale. "

I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. When I got pregnant with my first child, I gained over 50lbs during that time. I'm 5'6" and weighed in at 242lbs at the end of my pregnancy. I sat at about 220lbs for several months after I returned to work. When I started MFP back in April/May I was 203 and have lost over 35lbs since then.

I'm not looking to starve my future baby or be selfish. I'm not expecting to meet my goal weight while pregnant, but I am still overweight. I want to continue with my journey to get to a healthy weight through food and exercise. I was asking for feedback to get an understanding on whether this is possible or what other moms went through.
  • nmensen18
    Options

she said she was going to eat what her doctor recomended, but continue to exercise. I don't see anything wrong with excercise during pregnancy...are you saying that she can't lift a dumbell or ride a bike or take a walk on a treadmill for 9 months??

THANK YOU!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds during my first trimester just because I stopped drinking! :P
  • NoAdditives
    Options

I'm saying she shouldn't focus on losing weight during pregnancy because it isn't health for her or her baby.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who responded - but all I can say is WOW to the comments like this:
    "Concentrate on having a healthy baby and not being selfish thinking of a number on the scale. "

I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. When I got pregnant with my first child, I gained over 50lbs during that time. I'm 5'6" and weighed in at 242lbs at the end of my pregnancy. I sat at about 220lbs for several months after I returned to work. When I started MFP back in April/May I was 203 and have lost over 35lbs since then.

I'm not looking to starve my future baby or be selfish. I'm not expecting to meet my goal weight while pregnant, but I am still overweight. I want to continue with my journey to get to a healthy weight through food and exercise. I was asking for feedback to get an understanding on whether this is possible or what other moms went through.
    OP there have been a some threads like yours lately, with women laying out plans to lose weight while pregnant and be goal size upon birth. Probably this user jumped on you in an effort to curb the perception that you were going to go the same direction.

Personal thoughts? Exercise while pregnant, but eat all the food (I know the cravings well). It'll come off after the baby leaves your body and hormones level out. Plus, you'll have stronger muscles, which burn calories faster.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

I guess I wasn't as clear as I intended to be. Exercising is fine, but trying to lose weight is not. You are at a healthy enough weight that trying to lose is potentially harmful to both you and your baby. Get some exercise, eat healthy foods, and you shouldn't gain too much weight.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I was in the Army for my first pregnancy, and my OB said that whatever I was doing before I got pregnant I could still do after I got pregnant, I just had to keep my heart rate under a number she calibrated for me, and listen to my body. I gained 25lbs and the baby weight pretty much fell off within 6 months. I ran during my first trimester, and scaled back to speedwalking during my last two trimesters. I still lifted weights, though the excercises slowly became modified over time, and the weight went down. At the time, I didn't have a problem with my weight, so I didn't worry about what I ate, or how many calories I took in.

My second child, though, I gained a LOT of weight, because i pretty much worked an office job and didn't excercise at all. The baby weight stuck around forever, too.

As long as you and your doctor work together and she is satsfied with your numbers, then you are probably okay.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    We are not doctors - please consult a physician. What works for others, may not work for you.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy. Exercise. But no, it's not healthy to try to lose weight while pregnant. Try to gain a healthy amount.
  • StarPanic85
    StarPanic85 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I was preggie my doc told me to exercise and to loose weight. But I am obese.
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was in the Army for my first pregnancy, and my OB said that whatever I was doing before I got pregnant I could still do after I got pregnant, I just had to keep my heart rate under a number she calibrated for me, and listen to my body. I gained 25lbs and the baby weight pretty much fell off within 6 months. I ran during my first trimester, and scaled back to speedwalking during my last two trimesters. I still lifted weights, though the excercises slowly became modified over time, and the weight went down. At the time, I didn't have a problem with my weight, so I didn't worry about what I ate, or how many calories I took in.

My second child, though, I gained a LOT of weight, because i pretty much worked an office job and didn't excercise at all. The baby weight stuck around forever, too.

As long as you and your doctor work together and she is satsfied with your numbers, then you are probably okay.

This is a great post.

To the OP: I have a friend whose overall body shape changed during pregnancy. Here's what I mean, she started her preganancy a little overweight, and gained the amount of weight recommended by her doctor, continued to exercise moderately (as she had been doing prior to pregnancy) and it's like her weight shifted. She had a very healthy, full-term baby, but did end up losing some fat from hips, thighs etc. Therefore, she probaby did lose some excess weight overall, but the gains from her baby evened out and she continued to lose after pregnancy. Now, 2 pregancies later, she's very healthy, in great shape, and smaller than she was before her first.

I hope this wasn't too confusing and answers what I think you're asking...is it possible to continue to improve your body while ensuring your baby is healthy too?...I think as long as you work with your doctor, as you plan to do, you'll be fine. Good luck to you!