New -Does this work?

Options
My Dr says to save my money on other weight loss programs and use myfitnesspal instead. Does it really work?

I am skeptical

Replies

• pennyscabin
    pennyscabin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Accountability ALWAYS increases the chances of success! This program allows us to be honest about our decisions. And we have a supportive network of comrades who are either where we are or where we want to go. Yes, I do believe it works! Logging meals and snacks is a proven and effective way to change from mindless eating to mindful eating.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    Why in the world would you be skeptical of tracking food that you eat and logging calories burned? Eat less, move more.... nothing to be skeptical about.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Yes! I did what it said. Exercise... stay in calorie goal...drink your water...make some friends...easy.

I went from 300 + lbs. to 145 - 150 and have maintained for over 2 years now.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Skeptical about what exactly? Mfp is a free tool that allows you to accurately track your calories in vs calories out (which is the magic of weight loss). The same could be done with a notebook, but this is way easier and there's such an awesome community, why go it alone if you don't have to?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I've been an MFP member for about a year and I lost about 30 pounds. It works if you want to succeed and are willing to be patient. It really helps if you make friends with other members. I've been on maintenance and have kept on posting because it helps me. I like that people are friendly and for the most part, non-judgemental.

I hope you stay. :flowerforyou:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    My Dr says to save my money on other weight loss programs and use myfitnesspal instead. Does it really work?

I am skeptical
    yes.

also, give your Dr. a high five for not trying to sell you on some garbage program.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yes it works but you have to put in the effort. The concept is simple, log ALL the food you eat, stay within your calorie goal and get some exercise. Read the forums and check out the success stories. Most people here are really supportive and have loads of great advice to help you on your way.

It can take a bit of juggling before you find the right balance for you but it is worth making the effort and of course it costs you nothing.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    <
    Lost all my baby weight in 10 months using MFP. Yeah it works.
  • 2muchchocncrisps
    2muchchocncrisps Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hiya!
    Short answer , yes it does!!
    You need willpower of course, but this site provides the tools, inspiration and support to hold you accountable for what you eat and how you manage your calories.

Years ago I lost 3 stone with weightwatchers - and put it on again!
    In 9 months I've done it here without any cost. I've made friends, entered challenges, and picked up useful tips along the way.

Give it a go - what have you got to lose??
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options

I am skeptical
    yes.

also, give your Dr. a high five for not trying to sell you on some garbage program.

QFT
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Why in the world would you be skeptical of tracking food that you eat and logging calories burned? Eat less, move more.... nothing to be skeptical about.

Whoa there, we don't need any o'yer fancy LOGIC and MATH. We need to spend hundreds of dollars on PILLS.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Fifteen months ago on July 1: 425 pounds... Today 237.4 pounds... This is a tool. There are Weight Watchers, Paleo, Adkins, Fasters, Controlled Cheaters, etc... that all use this as a tool to log. Personally, I just study and eat what I feel is the best food for me. I track everything that I eat, drink and do... If you work at it. Eliminate excuses. You will succeed! Best of all its free!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    It works. The only thing that will ensure that it doesn't work is you.

It will give out what you put in.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yes! And it has a really large database. So that it is easy to find and track your food. Also has an amazing support group!:happy:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

I am skeptical

It ONLY works if YOU work.

eat less, move more.

repeat until satisfactory results achieved.

then comes maintenance. and marathons. and triathlons. and all other kinds of stuff you never ever in a million years imagined you would be capable of doing.
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It only works to the extent that you're honest with yourself. It's not magic. If you track what you eat, and eat less than your body burns, you'll lose weight. If you neglect to track your snacks, or grossly underestimate the amount you're eating (tip: weigh everything, at least until you develop a good sense of how large a half cup or tablespoon really is), then no, you won't lose weight. Personally, I've lost around 20 pounds in about four months.
  • cjvelasquez
    cjvelasquez Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This program does work exceptionally. The fact that it tracks calories makes you learn about healthy eating and ensures you can track the correct amount of nutrition that you should be eating.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It works if you are ready for it to work.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    MFP is a wonderful tool to use in your weightloss and fitness efforts. Does it work? Now that is totally up to you. If you do honest logging and keep up with what you want then yes it will work....it is all up to you. It is not a fad diet or something else to blow money on that the weight comes right back. You use the tools, put in the effort and you will get out of it what you want.
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    ????????YES, IF YOU PUT IN THE EFFORT, THE EFFORT WILL PAY OFF....I'm @ maintenance now...so I speak the truth...????????good luck on your journey...